• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, njwis said:

yes ive read that few times on chucks website.   that's why i don't buy that the comics were used for reference he just collected them. he had OCD for comic books.

I think you're right.  As I understand Chuck's take, quoted in a post above, Edgar's swipe file seems to have been compiled from magazines and other non-comic sources, rather than from comics.  Chuck didn't find any cutup comics, but he seems to be indicating that the (non-comic) swipe files had been thrown out by the family before he got there.

Of course, there are some issues missing from the collection.  Chuck speculates that they were mixed in with the funny animal comics most of which (apparently) the family threw out.  But it's certainly possible that some of those missing comics were cut up by Edgar for his swipe files.  Still, he couldn't have done that with many books, so the OCD explanation for why he accumulated so many comics without bothering to read, or even open, most of them is probably correct. And if it is correct, then his compulsion to collect a copy of every issue means he was unlikely to cut any of them up ... unless he bought a few doubles.

Seems like a lot of these questions could have been answered by the store owners he bought the comics from.

Was there some reason this information couldn’t be tracked down from them? Is it not even known what store(s) he got them from?

Just now, szavisca said:

Seems like a lot of these questions could have been answered by the store owners he bought the comics from.

Was there some reason this information couldn’t be tracked down from them? Is it not even known what store(s) he got them from?

There was a gap of, what, 15 years or so between when Edgar stopped buying and Chuck bought the collection.  It is an interesting question, though, as to whether Chuck tried to talk with the newsstand owner, if he was still in business.  I don't believe he did. 

Many of the second hand early Mile Highs came from a place called the Reader's Guild. I had an early Magic Comics with the flier attached to the interior front cover that gave the address. I'm not sure if they sold new comics as well or just used ones. If they sold new comics its possible Edgar got them from there as well.

56 minutes ago, Timely said:

Many of the second hand early Mile Highs came from a place called the Reader's Guild. I had an early Magic Comics with the flier attached to the interior front cover that gave the address. I'm not sure if they sold new comics as well or just used ones. If they sold new comics its possible Edgar got them from there as well.

Give them a call and let us know!... assuming they’re out of business or deceased ...but you never know.

11 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

he does; that's a variant cover.  

That's the cheap version?

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

It just doesn't make sense that Bulletdog doesn't have a metal helmet.

He just washed his hair and was letting it dry first.

On ‎2018‎/‎12‎/‎07 at 12:25 AM, Darth Corgi said:

Not to add to the speculation but I can offer the opinion from a professional illustrator/passionate collector myself. The two  habits are different but there is a lot connecting them. Creating art and collecting it.  

Reference files are important and in the pre computer days many of my illustration teachers, and some went back to careers in the fifties, had reference files. Many had multiple file cabinets loaded with clippings. In fact there’s a saying among illustrators that  goes “you’re only as good as your reference”. This was said to instill in young artists a sense of drawing from life and learning from the world around you instead of just “winging it”..... Essentially: good reference = good preparation = good picture making. 

The life of a professional illustrator/artist/author is busy (it’s not a job that you click in and out of 9-5) and then adding family obligations into it...there’s not too much time for recreational things. I manage to read a fair share here and there in stolen moments and have been lucky to find some time but a lot of the time the comics sit there....and that’s cool. Sometimes the collector is happy to know they are just there. Perhaps Edgar was going to read down that stack and get to them all “one day”....or perhaps they were all purchased at once or multiple lots and he never really got around to reading them....or maybe he bought two copies..one to store for his “archives” and one to read and then maybe give away...? We do know there were items already discarded before Chuck got there.....who knows what those were...reader copies of his favorites?  I guess we will never know but it sure is fun to talk about it. 

well said.

I worked as an artist for 17 years for one company creating mascot / costume designs and I kept a reference file that contained clippings, photocopies, cut-out pages from magazines. Anything and everything so that I had something to draw inspiration from if I was "stuck". Over 17 years of creating I used my reference file many times. By my math I did over 15,000 designs there...

Edited by Artboy99