• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

It's especially to nice to see the post code issue as not everyone realizes that the Church collection extends into the code era.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It's especially to nice to see the post code issue as not everyone realizes that the Church collection extends into the code era.

Do we know the last book (or the last month's books) in Edgar's collection?

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't.  @Timely might.  My best recollection is that someone mentioned there were ever a few from the early 60s but I think 1956 is the latest I have personally seen.

Just now, adamstrange said:
18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't.  @Timely might.  My best recollection is that someone mentioned there were ever a few from the early 60s but I think 1956 is the latest I have personally seen.

I was also thinking mid-1950s.  It would be interesting to know how and why he made the decision to stop.  I don't know if anyone ever tried to talk with the family.  Of if they knew (or would have said) even if someone did talk with them. 

Chuck says that Church was in a nursing home and died not too many months after the collection was sold.  Chuck did not contact him and the family offered little in the way of explanation.

11 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Chuck says that Church was in a nursing home and died not too many months after the collection was sold.  Chuck did not contact him and the family offered little in the way of explanation.

Right.  I seem to remember Chuck writing that he had assumed that Edgar had already died and was surprised to find out that he hadn't.  If Chuck had fully realized the impact of the collection on the hobby, maybe he would have quizzed the family a little more.  Or maybe not, given that Chuck's situation was a bit precarious. If Edgar was still alive, did the family actually have the legal authority to sell the books?  That may have been a point that Chuck felt it best not to explore. 

At least we know the basics of the Church story, unlike with, say, the SF/Reilly books where the contradictions in the story will probably never be resolved. There are also aspects of the Okajima story that it would be interesting to fill in.

Someone should write a book on pedigrees! (:

With the family having expressed hostility about the comics Chuck was in no position to press them without risking the whole deal.

Seeing Church's comic original put a whole different twist on the collection for me and it's sad we don't know more.

Edited by adamstrange

Edgar was alive for 16 months after the collection sold.  Chuck reports that the call came in about the collection in mid-January 1977.  Edgar passed away in May of 1978.

Of course, it’s possible one or both of the kids had power of attorney over Edgar and had every right to sell the books.  He was pushing 90 at the time.

15 hours ago, nearmint said:

Edgar was alive for 16 months after the collection sold.  Chuck reports that the call came in about the collection in mid-January 1977.  Edgar passed away in May of 1978.

Of course, it’s possible one or both of the kids had power of attorney over Edgar and had every right to sell the books.  He was pushing 90 at the time.

Good point.  Ill, in his eighties, and in a nursing home, you would expect that he would have executed a power of attorney.