• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Are there any articles about the collection from around the time of discovery ? Perhaps in convention programs , fan zines , etc ? 

For sure.  To me, the most memorable was in the Overstreet Comic Books Price guide.  If I recall correctly, I think it came out in #12

18 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Are there any articles about the collection from around the time of discovery ? Perhaps in convention programs , fan zines , etc ? 

Although not contemporaneous with the purchase from the Church family, probably the most thorough account is Chuck’s recollection that he documented on his blog about 18 years ago.  It’s still up and readable here 

https://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg12.html

It’s worth noting, however, that this is Chuck’s version of what happened 25+ years later.  There are a lot of other rumors and accounts floating around including by the Church family that are inconsistent with Chuck’s story.  Keep that in mind when you read it.

I have read Chuck’s version many times myself. I have also spoken to him about it many times. He is really cool to talk to if you give him a chance. I have often thought of what it would have looked like and what it smelled like when they opened the doors to that magical closet and and heard them say “you have to take all of them”. I have no doubt I would have done exactly what he did. 

His account of the Casual Con in Buena Park right after he found the collection is spot on. I have NEVER experienced such a buzz in any show I have been to. Despite his over guide prices, just about every dealer in the room literally left their booths and hit his boxes. I spent every bit of money I had, borrowed some more and walked off with a large stack of the most beautiful comics I have ever seen. I still get a smile when I run into them mixed in my collection!

There have been many other remarkable collections found since but nothing like the grand daddy of them all. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, Robot Man said:

I have read Chuck’s version many times myself. I have also spoken to him about it many times. He is really cool to talk to if you give him a chance. I have often thought of what it would have looked like and what it smelled like when they opened the doors to that magical closet and and heard them say “you have to take all of them”. I have no doubt I would have done exactly what he did. 

His account of the Casual Con in Buena Park right after he found the collection is spot on. I have NEVER experienced such a buzz in any show I have been to. Despite his over guide prices, just about every dealer in the room literally left their booths and hit his boxes. I spent every bit of money I had, borrowed some more and walked off with a large stack of the most beautiful comics I have ever seen. I still get a smile when I run into them mixed in my collection!

There have been many other remarkable collections found since but nothing like the grand daddy of them all. 

thanks for your story. Would love to hear more.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, Timely said:

FYI... I bought that MH from Verzyl in 1990 & sold it to Joe Smejkal in 2005 or so. She's a beauty!

And I owned it until last year in San Diego. Beautiful copy.

22 hours ago, goldenacase said:

This appeared on Ebay today ....my first Tarzan Cover and first Qualified Edgar :cloud9:

lf-20.jpeg

lf-21.jpeg

Big fan of tip top tarzans, but probably way out of my price range.  Im curious how 2 pieces got cut out of the book, I thought Mr Church mostly bought the books and stacked them unread?

Grats on the purchase, I just realized that you're the winner :)

Edited by waaaghboss

Church?  Other Pedigree?  Nothin?  

No provenance other than from a collector who bought from Paper Moon and at late 80s early 90s shows.  

Doesn't seen sharp enough for a Church but the code at the top made me think.

Page quality is also only Off White and not blazing white.

img878.thumb.jpg.7f3a2bdbf5bd4559f8ac69c0cb5b5d47.jpg