• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, malvin said:

I was thinking of those 2 too.  And maybe Guardians of the Galaxy. Not sure how the OA of those were doing.

The spike only works for more obscure characters that suddenly become hot.  Batman, Superman, Spiderman are already well known to the public (relative to other comics) so I don't see a movie doing a bump.  Even Black Panther isn't an A level character but I don't think the movie did anything for OA>

Malvin

I think Black Panther’s movie appearances helped to spike some OA prices such as the Rich Buckler Jungle Action Pages.  I also thought the Kirby Black Panther cover prices were strong, and probably wouldn’t have been realized without the movie hype.

also think Preacher prices benefited from the TV Series (at least, prior to seeing the first episode or two)

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've watched every episode of Arrow since it premiered (barring the last episode which is on the DVR), and did not realize the connection between the Anatoly character and the KGBeast until you mentioned it, as he resembles the comic character about as much as I resemble Gal Gadot. 

He may not even be the KGBeast...after all, Adrian Chase turned out not to be Vigilante in the Arrow-verse. hm 

Since the Heritage Auctions several months back, has there been a slight decline in prices for Aparo art, or is it the OA since offered for sale? I've noticed some lower prices on pieces recently.

2 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

For whatever reason Brett's work (outside of his early stuff, i.e., Kindred/Backlash) doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar.  The guy has talent and his work on the Flash was exceptional.  It will be interesting to see what that page ends up selling for at the end of the auction.

I agree.  I think Booth is highly talented and a great value.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Since the Heritage Auctions several months back, has there been a slight decline in prices for Aparo art, or is it the OA since offered for sale? I've noticed some lower prices on pieces recently.

Always hard to identify trends when you're talking a matter of months and small sample sizes, but the Heritage data shows Aparo art prices has stayed fairly consistent throughout 2018.  Three outliers sold in May 2018 were all from his 70s Adventure Comics Spectre run:  #440 cover ($52k), #433 splash ($18k) and #443 panel page ($9k)...perhaps reflecting scarcity of that title (none offered since and only 1 example offered in prior 12 years).  Otherwise, Aparo superhero art (Batman, Spectre, Aquaman, Phantom Stranger) has remained solid if not predictable based on content/image quality.  Compared to 2016-2017 period, however, Heritage prices for Aparo superhero (Batman, Aquaman, Phantom Stranger) panel pages appear to have increased (~ 40% based on HA data).  Since May 2018, 85% of Aparo panel pages sold for $1k+ with several in the $2-3k range (N=16).   Back in 2016, less than 15% of panel pages sold for $1k or more (N=24) with several under $400. 

Just now, GreatEscape said:

Always hard to identify trends when you're talking a matter of months and small sample sizes, but the Heritage data shows Aparo art prices has stayed fairly consistent throughout 2018.  Three outliers sold in May 2018 were all from his 70s Adventure Comics Spectre run:  #440 cover ($52k), #433 splash ($18k) and #443 panel page ($9k)...perhaps reflecting scarcity of that title (none offered since and only 1 example offered in prior 12 years).  Otherwise, Aparo superhero art (Batman, Spectre, Aquaman, Phantom Stranger) has remained solid if not predictable based on content/image quality.  Compared to 2016-2017 period, however, Heritage prices for Aparo superhero (Batman, Aquaman, Phantom Stranger) panel pages appear to have increased (~ 40% based on HA data).  Since May 2018, 85% of Aparo panel pages sold for $1k+ with several in the $2-3k range (N=16).   Back in 2016, less than 15% of panel pages sold for $1k or more (N=24) with several under $400. 

I agree.

There's a distinct division between those peak Aparo Spectre pieces and everything else he's done.Those full Aparo pencil and ink Spectre pieces from that Adventure Comics run are a wonder to behold in person. They are as close to lightning in a bottle as you see in this hobby. The perfect artist, at the perfect time in his career, on the perfect subject matter. I think that's why, while we'll see appreciation in the Aparo market naturally and congruous with other vintage art markets, his Adventure Comics Spectre run will be the gold standard of his art resume and to a larger extent the era within which they were created. 

14 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

In the spirit of this thread, anybody watching the newest, 3rd season of Daredevil on Netflix?  Good stuff.  Price on my Miller DD 171 cover just went up.  Adjust offers accordingly.*

:roflmao:

*just kidding folks, it's not for sale.

dd171 cover.jpg

Sorry, this doesn't qualify, he never wore a costume all of season 3.  Only out of costume pages have gone up in value.

32 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

In the spirit of this thread, anybody watching the newest, 3rd season of Daredevil on Netflix?  Good stuff.  Price on my Miller DD 171 cover just went up.  Adjust offers accordingly.*

:roflmao:

*just kidding folks, it's not for sale.

dd171 cover.jpg

Watched season 3 twice. They promised that they would outdo the hallway scene from season one and they delivered. Also, every single character, this season, had a complete story arch, loved it all.  

13 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Watched season 3 twice. They promised that they would outdo the hallway scene from season one and they delivered. Also, every single character, this season, had a complete story arch, loved it all.  

Not to hijack this thread, but totally agree.  Not really been into much of the TV superhero stuff that's been offered the last few years, but it seems like DD is the gold standard, with an emphasis on quality, characterization and ultimate payoff.  Some killer choreographed fight scenes too.  Not perfect, and the acting chops on some of the secondary characters leave something to be desired (Foggy!), but well worth checking out, especially if you like the Frank Miller source material.

Edited by stinkininkin

This season, they finally gave Karen & Foggy purpose instead of whining to Matt in every seen to stop being DD. Overall it was solid. Still the best show of the bunch. Then Punisher. The rest of the shows stink, especially emo drenched season 2 of Jessica Jones. But thats what happens when you hire a show runner with an agenda of her own. 

Edited by dirtymartini1

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think Black Panther’s movie appearances helped to spike some OA prices such as the Rich Buckler Jungle Action Pages.  I also thought the Kirby Black Panther cover prices were strong, and probably wouldn’t have been realized without the movie hype.

also think Preacher prices benefited from the TV Series (at least, prior to seeing the first episode or two)

I know I got some pretty strong offers for my Jungle Action covers recently, not strong enough for me to sell but at least strong enough to pause for a second before declining 

7 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Actually, I wasn't referring to the Spectre pages. I was surprised when Clink sold an Aparo PS page for about $450. Then I notced some Batman pages which seemed down a little, and some Aquaman too. Maybe they were just outliers. Prices are mostly up since 2017, but I was thinking there has since been a slight dip since April of this year. There is also more of it on the market lately..

On 11/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, Andahaion said:

I agree.  I think Booth is highly talented and a great value.

I’m not too familiar with Booth’s work so I took a quick look online at some of his Flash work and it’s very, very nice.  I think you’re correct in saying he’s very talented and a great value!

27 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I’m not too familiar with Booth’s work so I took a quick look online at some of his Flash work and it’s very, very nice.  I think you’re correct in saying he’s very talented and a great value!

And now I have definitive proof to show my wife that I can, indeed, be correct.

23 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

Cool cover - I actually prefer Hughes' early '90s art to his later work - but, surely that one is destined for RNM... :whistle: