• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

I'm also a fan of this period ( pre - AH! ).  It's a well designed cover piece.  For the sake argument, 1/4 to 1/3 is ceiling tiles.

Does anyone know how the reserve ($18,000 ?) compares with other pricing ??  It's significantly higher than any art listed in HA's archives.

7 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

Originally offered for sale in February of this year for 10k or best offer. Offered again by different seller in October, offers only. No takers, seller then moved it to Comiclink. 

One day to go and a lot of stuff is still temptingly cheap. I almost wish more bids were in so I could really narrow my focus on one or two pieces!

Question for the boardies: When do you put in your final bid on these things? If I was bidding on CLink 6 years ago, I'd usually see the "last minute" bids come in 10 minutes before the close. CLink's online bidding system wasn't considered reliable enough to cut it close. Time passes & CLink seems to get better (more bandwidth? different servers?). Now last minute bids start coming in with a couple of seconds to go. But I still hear stories about bidders missing the window due to freezes.

I've personally never had any issues, but I put my last bid in with no less than 30 seconds on the clock. Are you guys getting your bids in reliably with less than 10 on the clock? I'd like to snipe like I do on eBay, but I understand that nobody's bidding system matches eBay. Not even Heritage. Their last signature auction crapped out on me a couple of times during the live event.

1 hour ago, DJRome said:

One day to go and a lot of stuff is still temptingly cheap. I almost wish more bids were in so I could really narrow my focus on one or two pieces!

Question for the boardies: When do you put in your final bid on these things? If I was bidding on CLink 6 years ago, I'd usually see the "last minute" bids come in 10 minutes before the close. CLink's online bidding system wasn't considered reliable enough to cut it close. Time passes & CLink seems to get better (more bandwidth? different servers?). Now last minute bids start coming in with a couple of seconds to go. But I still hear stories about bidders missing the window due to freezes.

I've personally never had any issues, but I put my last bid in with no less than 30 seconds on the clock. Are you guys getting your bids in reliably with less than 10 on the clock? I'd like to snipe like I do on eBay, but I understand that nobody's bidding system matches eBay. Not even Heritage. Their last signature auction crapped out on me a couple of times during the live event.

If I really want something, I will bid way over market price, so sniping doesn't effect me. What goes into the collection stays there, so market price doesn't matter, just my enjoyment of the art. And since I only buy things at the shallow end of the market, I don't really worry about the amount at issue.

From a bidder perspective, there's also the pro and con of bidding with less than 10 seconds.  One con (that I've regretted a few times) that it doesn't allow you enough time to quickly get in another bid when you've been outbid with only seconds to spare, including when you thought you had it locked but were surprised by another over FMV bid).  Of course more time also allows another bidder to squeeze in their (extra) bid too after reacting to the other last last second bidders as well. 

[Not counting weighing all the other individual criteria of course (how much you want the piece (by itself or versus other pieces in auction), personal budget, how close to or over FMV you are willing to pay, how art by same artist in same auction is selling, etc.)]

6 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Still high bidder on a few lots with tracking bids placed in the first couple days of the auction.

I usually place my max bids at clink with about 20 seconds to go due to the mediocre bidding system.

out of curiosity = -when I place tracking bids - its always the next bid as offered by the system. for example if the item is at $100 and the next suggested bid is $110 - thats what I do (when I am tracking). I don't put in 200 or some other higher number.   I do this because I am not trying to drive the price up, just want to track with minimal impact on price.  When you put in a tracking # - how do you approach it?

I usually place my bid rounded up to the nearest $100 to the current bid, just because of a slight ocd for nice round numbers.

i guess I consider any bid that should have very little chance of winning a tracking bid, which to me is any bid below 1/2 fmv. I do not place a tracking bid if the number has already breached that point, unless I know I am going hard on the piece.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some stuff with potentially high upside benefit due to upcoming film and/or comic exposure:

More to come...

Been about a week since my post above, and not much has changed on the pieces I noted above.  Bids are still flat, the items are all very affordable, and there's approximately 24 hours remaining in the auction

Some other OA with potentially high upside in this auction includes:

• Buckler Superman vs Shazam/DCCP 33 pages.  Hey, The Rock's gonna be in this movie.  You smell what that's gonna do to the value of Shazam pages? lol
  • John Buscema HTD #3p3.  Will the Duck have more cameo appearances in the Marvel Universe?  Perhaps he'll co-star in a successful movie and regain a level of popularity similar to Rocket Raccoon?  Regardless, prices for Duck OA have been steadily on the rise for several years.
  • Sal Buscema ROM pages - so, Paramount is proceeding with a ROM movie, which should lead to an increase in ROM prices, but honestly, these pages, like Howard the Duck pages, have been on the rise for several years.  They are still very cheap compared to FMV
  • Greg Capullo Spawn/Violator/Angela pages.  Todd announced a SPAWN movie earlier this year, and he's also set to direct?  Other than Spawn, I suspect Violator will be in the movie, and Angela, too?  Why not pick up these pages now while the price is right, and much more affordable than Capullo's Batman stuff.
  • Cockrum Ms Marvel page.  Yep, everyone saw the all to brief glimpse of her at the end of the Avengers Infinity War movie, and we all know she has her own upcoming movie so I'm not really surprised this page is already at $2.3K, given how close we are to the movie release date.  Kind of curious to see how much higher it will go.

I've got my eye on a few pieces for tonight and eager to see how things play out.

I feel bad for the UK and other Euro collectors where the ComicLink auction starts at 1am/2am and continues through to about 5am/6am.  Causes them to not necessarily be very invested and/or ignore the auction and/or put in proxy bids. 

41 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

I've got my eye on a few pieces for tonight and eager to see how things play out.

I feel bad for the UK and other Euro collectors where the ComicLink auction starts at 1am/2am and continues through to about 5am/6am.  Causes them to not necessarily be very invested and/or ignore the auction and/or put in proxy bids. 

Agreed, especially considering the amount of OA making its way to European collectors these days...