• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

What is 1st appearance-itis? ??? 

At risk of picking on Bob further... In some cases it could be "box-ticking". Some people were discussing a few months ago how much weight generic pages from a first appearance issue can carry. Or when does the historical factor kick in over the aesthetics of a given piece? Opinions varied. Nyx 3 cover, for example?

I really enjoyed this era of Batman

That's fine, but please leave your bidding paddle at home. :)

There has definitely been a revival of appreciation and interest in Aparo art over the past couple of years - nice to see as an Aparo fan.  That said, I am skeptical that this revival is going to have long-term legs.  Right now, Aparo is the forgotten man that's been rediscovered by older (mid-to-late 40s and 50s mainly) fans/collectors, but, I see that interest aging out along with a lot of other artists over time, sad to say.

I get pretty picky about Aparo eras. 70s Aparo vs Brave and Bold era vs post-Crisis Bats vs Knightfall and after. Personally, I'm out juuust before Knightfall as his art started slipping in quality. The post-Crisis fans have a few more years of collecting left in them. But I agree with you... I think the stuff before that will soften pretty soon.

I think this auction was a good indicator of what I mean. There were some C and D-level B&B pages that went for FMV or lower. Pent up demand for that earlier era has worn off just a smidge perhaps?

Edited by BCarter27
long day, Bizarro make no sense

On 11/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, Shemp said:

Originally offered for sale in February of this year for 10k or best offer. Offered again by different seller in October, offers only. No takers, seller then moved it to Comiclink. 

Amazed at the price. Adam's early 90s art doesnt go for as much as his later work.

I go to bed very early, so whomever got the Glamourpuss 11 pg 18.19 splash for $301 got me by $1. I honestly forgot about the auction thinking about CC in a few days and would have paidmore. Great buy for the winner!

59 minutes ago, Bird said:

I go to bed very early, so whomever got the Glamourpuss 11 pg 18.19 splash for $301 got me by $1. I honestly forgot about the auction thinking about CC in a few days and would have paidmore. Great buy for the winner!

ComicLink auctions are unique with bidding increments waived for prior bids at the hammer...I’ve won and lost my share of lots for $3 or less.  Personally, I like the format as it favors disciplined absentee bidding— lots close at defined times, top bid wins and any ties go to prior bidders— but still allows exciting “photo finish” results for contested items.  ComicLink auctions close during late evenings on East coast so I can keep track of exact times for specific lot closings (unlike HA or CC) to break away from family time, watching sports, etc.  I also think artists ending late (ie, Wrightson and Zeck) come with relative bargain opportunities as live bidders from East coast and Europe thin out.

Edited by GreatEscape

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

At risk of picking on Bob further... In some cases it could be "box-ticking". Some people were discussing a few months ago how much weight generic pages from a first appearance issue can carry. Or when does the historical factor kick in over the aesthetics of a given piece? Opinions varied. Nyx 3 cover, for example?

That's fine, but please leave your bidding paddle at home. :)

I get pretty picky about Aparo eras. 70s Aparo vs Brave and Bold era vs post-Crisis Bats vs Knightfall and after. Personally, I'm out juuust before Knightfall as his art started slipping in quality. The post-Crisis fans have a few more years of collecting left in them. But I agree with you... I think the stuff before that will soften pretty soon.

I think this auction was a good indicator of what I mean. There were some C and D-level B&B pages that went for FMV or lower. Pent up demand for that earlier era has worn off just a smidge perhaps?

Probably has worn off a bit. Also, there is the subject matter of course. I think his work is best suited for horror and/or mystery which isn't always the case with BM pages or something like Aquaman.

52 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

ComicLink auctions are unique with bidding increments waived for prior bids at the hammer...I’ve won and lost my share of lots for $3 or less.  Personally, I like the format as it favors disciplined absentee bidding— lots close at defined times, top bid wins and any ties go to prior bidders— but still allows exciting “photo finish” results for contested items.  ComicLink auctions close during late evenings on East coast so I can keep track of exact times for specific lot closings (unlike HA or CC) to break away from family time, watching sports, etc.  I also think artists ending late (ie, Wrightson and Zeck) come with relative bargain opportunities as live bidders from East coast and Europe thin out.

As a buyer what frustrates me is that CL doesn't allow me the opportunity to grossly overpay, which I tend to do at HA ;)

With a minute to go, I was high bidder on the FF #112 page. That's a grail piece for me, but it was not meant to be, OUTBID! :(

So I went after the next best thing I liked that I could afford, the Avengers #316 cover.... With a minute to go, I was high bidder, but that was not meant to be either, OUTBID! :(

20 minutes ago, Timely said:

With a minute to go, I was high bidder on the FF #112 page. That's a grail piece for me, but it was not meant to be, OUTBID! :(

So I went after the next best thing I liked that I could afford, the Avengers #316 cover.... With a minute to go, I was high bidder, but that was not meant to be either, OUTBID! :(

A minute to go leaves time for others to bid still. Best to wait a bit closer to the end. Still no guarantees in clink..or life. Food luck next time.

8 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Ah, OK. I probably would have called it first appearance-philia rather than -itis. :insane:

8 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I didn't realize that. It blows away anything in the HA history by a wide margin, but I realize that's an incomplete picture. It's one of the strongest Kaluta examples I've seen (plus Conan points to pull in that crowd (same crowd?)). It feels like it might be bucking the trend based on the strength of this particular image.

I know Kaluta did a number of Conan pieces, but, he's not one of the artists I immediately associate with the character. I have toyed on occasion with getting a Kaluta (think that ship has sailed at this point), but, Conan was never a particularly desirable Kaluta subject for me, even being a huge Conan fan. There's other Kaluta out there that I'd personally rather own. 

I think $64K is a healthy price for it - I think the consignor took a big risk letting this fly without a reserve, as it's hard to envision it doing much better than what it did, but, it's very easy to imagine it doing worse. But, still, the price is less than where the piece traded hands privately more than a decade ago. 

41 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just taking in all of the results from this auction and I’ve got to say that it was excellent!

for bargains, that is.  Man, sooooo many pieces below FMV in this auction!

Unfortunately the one page I bought (Don Rosa Donald Duck Adventures) was right at FMV 😀

I‘m curious, what pieces seemed underpriced to you?

The only other item I was bidding on was the Gammill Action cover and I felt that went for a VERY healthy price. 

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

What's going to blow people's minds is when it starts happening to more mainstream superhero art from certain periods and not just more niche interests and genre art. 2c 

The psychological impact of that is just about impossible to handicap. Blood in the streets, but not the time to buy either. I predict the first one that everyone here will notice is a mainstream 70s Kirby struggling to get 50-65% of perception fmv.

48 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just taking in all of the results from this auction and I’ve got to say that it was excellent!

for bargains, that is.  Man, sooooo many pieces below FMV in this auction!

I feel like people were saying this at the last CLINK too and also saying that HA felt strong. And yet... I would still argue as I did in the other thread that the consignors probably came out better overall. Any additional bids (2? maybe 3?) HA would've gotten (due to their marketing and hammer system) would've gone right to HA. But that's all for the seller's thread...

Back to the buying POV, most of the stuff I was tracking met or exceeded expectations.

35 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I know Kaluta did a number of Conan pieces, but, he's not one of the artists I immediately associate with the character.

Agreed. I think of some of his other REH stuff or even Metropolis... and Madame Xanadu, other early DC covers, and the Shadow, of course.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

And in all of our endeavors, food luck to us all. 

Is that a Romaine Lettuce joke? If it's not it should be....or at least the new label placed on all bags of the stuff at the grocery store: "Romaine Lettuce? Food Luck"

Edited by comix4fun

7 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I feel like people were saying this at the last CLINK too

Replying to myself here... iirc the last CLINK ended on a wonky holiday or a Friday? I think they were better served ending on a quieter weeknight as they did this time.

36 minutes ago, oldwhy said:

Unfortunately the one page I bought (Don Rosa Donald Duck Adventures) was right at FMV 😀

I‘m curious, what pieces seemed underpriced to you?

The only other item I was bidding on was the Gammill Action cover and I felt that went for a VERY healthy price. 

A few lots I was tracking (but did not win :() that seems like bargains to me:

=> Detective 403 title splash (Infantino) $4125 - striking Batman image, sold for half of CL estimate, for full-page in catalog, plus all-pencil prelim on verso

=> Avengers 3 DPS (Perez) $3350 - amazingly detailed even for Perez, tons of heroes at less than $80 per character!

=> TOS 76 p7 (Kirby) $3200 - twice-up Kirby Hulk, several Hulk panels

=> SHIELD 12 p5 (BWS) with Nick Fury $1500 - discounted to to vellum paste-ups but all original art, vintage BWS

=> Hulk 338 page (McFarlane) $4100 - great panels of McHulk smashing

=> Web of Spidey 10 page (Mooney) $388 - Black costume Spidey, nuff said. 

10 hours ago, Bill C said:

The Kid Flash page from #135 would have been extremely tempting if he had been wearing the new costume he was to receive later that very issue.

For sure. For some reason the early red costume Kid Flash is not really interesting to me at all. He has always kind of looked like a kid dressing up for Halloween. 

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I loved that Ten Nights of the Beast mini-series, and remember being blown away by Zeck's cover work. Its firmly in the peak nostalgia zone for me, and I was only a DC-only kid back then so Batman (and Aparo) were IT for me. I like the idea of a first appearance, and in particular this page with KGBeast; the first in-costume page is a couple pages later in the same issue. So I paid up (sorry, underbidder), and the bidding history reflects there were just two of us over $800. It only takes two fools...

For the Aparo side of it, you definitely have some pent up Aparo demand from people like me who are hungry for the Batman pages that might surface from that run, but also those Spectre fans that love the Adventure series (myself included). I don't think that Aparo hunger is going to go away with this or the next couple auctions, but if its a deluge of Aparo at every auction at HA and CL, then (like everything in this hobby) the cream will rise and you'll see middling results for the generic pages. 

And I passed on the Newton Deadshot page...there was an oddly drawn leg/arm in the top panel that I just couldn't get past, even though I have the preceding page from that issue. Its a great fight scene regardless, and worthy of the $1200 price tag.