• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

A few lots I was tracking (but did not win :() that seems like bargains to me:

=> Detective 403 title splash (Infantino) $4125 - striking Batman image, sold for half of CL estimate, for full-page in catalog, plus all-pencil prelim on verso

=> Avengers 3 DPS (Perez) $3350 - amazingly detailed even for Perez, tons of heroes at less than $80 per character!

=> TOS 76 p7 (Kirby) $3200 - twice-up Kirby Hulk, several Hulk panels

=> SHIELD 12 p5 (BWS) with Nick Fury $1500 - discounted to to vellum paste-ups but all original art, vintage BWS

=> Hulk 338 page (McFarlane) $4100 - great panels of McHulk smashing

=> Web of Spidey 10 page (Mooney) $388 - Black costume Spidey, nuff said. 

I think these are all about right. The inking was a little anemic on the McHulk and I think that held it back. The Perez needed more A-list characters to break out higher. The Kirby, Shield, and Infantino... that stuff is dying on the vine.

Speaking of anemic inks, I somehow missed this Byrne Superman-

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1288345

I thought that was a relative bargain despite the fading.

Just throwing this out there.  With just a little anecdotal evidence as well as personal experience, I feel like these late in the year auctions don't do particularly well for the consignor for lots that are less than top tier.  This is a generalization and exceptions apply.  Clink in particular seems to be susceptible for December bargains for buyers.  If true, it would inform how someone might time buying or consigning.  Anyone a little more OCD than me ever do a deep dive to see if my hunch holds any water?

8 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Just throwing this out there.  With just a little anecdotal evidence as well as personal experience, I feel like these late in the year auctions don't do particularly well for the consignor for lots that are less than top tier.  This is a generalization and exceptions apply.  Clink in particular seems to be susceptible for December bargains for buyers.  If true, it would inform how someone might time buying or consigning.  Anyone a little more OCD than me ever do a deep dive to see if my hunch holds any water?

In the past, it was believed that the November HA auction was the weakest one of the year, for selling. No idea how true that was/is, it was just a general belief.

In recent years, that feeling has lessened. At least in terms of HA. Don't know about Clink.

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

I think Sothebys and Christies have already done the work for you. They rarely do the big categories after Thanksgiving.

Iirc, one year Sothebys tried to do a his/hers "gift" gimmick closer to Christmas. They paired collectible cars on the same showroom as fine jewelry. It was fun to see with a large, buzzing crowd. I don't know if it was any more or less successful than it would've been pre-Thanksgiving, but they haven't done it since. So maybe that is telling.

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

That Kaluta price is less than what the piece sold for more than a decade ago to one of the previous owners.  Not sure what the consignor has into it, but, I'm guessing any happiness is just relief at not taking a huge bath on it.  

There's a lot of quality art out there that is slowly, but surely, losing its collector base to age (one of the topics discussed on the latest Felix Comic Art podcast).  What's going to blow people's minds is when it starts happening to more mainstream superhero art from certain periods and not just more niche interests and genre art. 2c 

The owner contacted me to consign the Kaluta. When he told me what he paid, which is what I had to sell it for, I immediately passed, as I knew it would never sell at the consignors price. 

To say the consignor took a bath would be an understatement. 

MI

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

A few lots I was tracking (but did not win :() that seems like bargains to me:

=> TOS 76 p7 (Kirby) $3200 - twice-up Kirby Hulk, several Hulk panels

Having owned Hulk artwork from most of this run over the years I can tell you calling this a Kirby page is like calling it a Stan Lee page. Sure it was in their hands at one time or another but there's little to no art there from either of them.

This issue especially felt like stick figures at most from Kirby and certainly no backgrounds. It has very little (none actually) of that Kirby look or feel. It's all Kane and Espo. Never liked Kane's Hulk faces. 

33 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Having owned Hulk artwork from most of this run over the years I can tell you calling this a Kirby page is like calling it a Stan Lee page. Sure it was in their hands at one time or another but there's little to no art there from either of them.

This issue especially felt like stick figures at most from Kirby and certainly no backgrounds. It has very little (none actually) of that Kirby look or feel. It's all Kane and Espo. Never liked Kane's Hulk faces. 

Make sense, very helpful. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, GreatEscape said:

Make sense, very helpful. (thumbsu

Sure thing. Really, looking at that page, the most valuable thing might be all of Stan's handwritten notes regarding dialogue and action. Love seeing the backstory on these pages. 

I actively bid on one piece, the New Mutants Cover. I was winning it for the last week or so, and was prepared to go to 6000 for it, I managed to push it to the 5's and as i went to the 6k bid it was already above so didnt stick. Once again, everything I want to buy has people falling out of the sky to go nuts on it. It was offered i think for 7500 at San Diego this year but was not up for negotiation price wise. I have a hard time justifying coming close to a 7k for a mid run New Mutants cover by a mid range artist (a popular one but this isnt exactly Jim Lee material) but its become clear to me if i want late 80s early 90s marvel I have to be willing to fight really hard for it. My consignments went poorly as well, but not horrific just well below what I would have thought based on recent sales.

12 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I actively bid on one piece, the New Mutants Cover. I was winning it for the last week or so, and was prepared to go to 6000 for it, I managed to push it to the 5's and as i went to the 6k bid it was already above so didnt stick. Once again, everything I want to buy has people falling out of the sky to go nuts on it. It was offered i think for 7500 at San Diego this year but was not up for negotiation price wise. I have a hard time justifying coming close to a 7k for a mid run New Mutants cover by a mid range artist (a popular one but this isnt exactly Jim Lee material) but its become clear to me if i want late 80s early 90s marvel I have to be willing to fight really hard for it. My consignments went poorly as well, but not horrific just well below what I would have thought based on recent sales.

I thought it was priced higher than that at SDCC. I remember it on the wall and being struck with how nice it was.

14 minutes ago, Doc Joe said:

finally got my hands on this...

RADD7B8220181018_124718-2.jpg

You should hang that up on your office framed with a little plaque that says "This guy went to the wrong Dermatologist"

I picked up this FF Kirby/Sinnott large art at $4000 and I think I got a great deal. True no main characters  ,but lots of action ,detail and Kirby machinery from a prime period. 

I had been considering a similar page from that book from a dealer that had it listed at $8500.I had a couple of kirby pages listed with reserve (for what I paid three years ago) that didn't sell. Is it just me or is the middle range Kirby market finally going down ? 

RADEE2B320181017_15839.jpg

4 minutes ago, rrichards said:

I picked up this FF Kirby/Sinnott large art at $4000 and I think I got a great deal. True no main characters  ,but lots of action ,detail and Kirby machinery from a prime period. 

I had been considering a similar page from that book from a dealer that had it listed at $8500.I had a couple of kirby pages listed with reserve (for what I paid three years ago) that didn't sell. Is it just me or is the middle range Kirby market finally going down ? 

RADEE2B320181017_15839.jpg

Great page!!

Right now, and since the recent events have led to a large amount of pieces being consigned to auction you may be seeing a temporary dip in the mid-level pages and you've struck at the perfect time. The A level stuff is still flying but this was the perfect time to buy a piece without main characters, etc. Well done. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Great page!!

Right now, and since the recent events have led to a large amount of pieces being consigned to auction you may be seeing a temporary dip in the mid-level pages and you've struck at the perfect time. The A level stuff is still flying but this was the perfect time to buy a piece without main characters, etc. Well done. 

"Since the recent events"? I'm sorry ,I've been out of the loop for a few month's can some one bring me up to date? Is the Kirby family going after the art again?

Just now, rrichards said:

"Since the recent events"? I'm sorry ,I've been out of the loop for a few month's can some one bring me up to date? Is the Kirby family going after the art again?

They were, and they were talking to all the major auction houses, and it put a temporary pause in consignments. That's all done, and the floodgates have opened wide for sellers of Kirby.