• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

The layout is nicely designed (CLink even called it “museum quality”) but at the end of the day, no Punisher skull or full-figure Wolverine, I guess.

391D30F5-DBB7-4617-9C2B-4979CCBED281.jpeg

so in another thread - folks were beating up on Greg Land for photo reference work.  Tim Bradstreets method is to TRACE photographs. to the best of my knowledge he takes the photos - but he traces them to get this look. If someone knows otherwise, feel free to chime in. That's the story as I recall him saying so at a convention many years back.

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I think the Wolverine/punisher cover is the better cover when compared to the remaining stock, it’s just that I’m not convinced that the original buyer, whomever that might be, paid less than $1500 for it. In other words, there wasn’t much, if any, appreciation on that, or as someone hoped. 

gotcha. I agree - it was probably a wash for the seller.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:03 PM, glendgold said:

Almost all the text there is Jack's.  Stan wrote something cut off in the circle over the second panel and that circled comment about... huh...Alicia's "bosom" under the third panel.  The rest is Mr. Kirby.  There's an article about this issue (and #67) in the Kirby Collector, part of the "Failure to Communicate" series -- how Stan's dialogue stopped following Jack's notes beause Stan couldn't grasp what commentary Jack was trying to make on objectivism

Are you in the know enough to make an opinion about this page? Someone wrote, top of the page “”she looks 12 throughout!” Would that be Stan? There is significant white-out and Ayers re-drawing on every Jan face on the page...

90B1282D-1F70-46D2-9284-C7EC401A0BBB.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Grant Turner said:

Are you in the know enough to make an opinion about this page? Someone wrote, top of the page “”she looks 12 throughout!” Would that be Stan? There is significant white-out and Ayers re-drawing on every Jan face on the page...

90B1282D-1F70-46D2-9284-C7EC401A0BBB.jpeg

Looks like Stan's handwriting to me.  But it looks like someone else's writing above the second panel.

16 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I think the Wolverine/punisher cover is the better cover when compared to the remaining stock, it’s just that I’m not convinced that the original buyer, whomever that might be, paid less than $1500 for it. In other words, there wasn’t much, if any, appreciation on that, or as someone hoped. 

This cover was listed at $750 on SplashPage a couple of months back.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:16 PM, Panelfan1 said:

so in another thread - folks were beating up on Greg Land for photo reference work.  Tim Bradstreets method is to TRACE photographs. to the best of my knowledge he takes the photos - but he traces them to get this look. If someone knows otherwise, feel free to chime in. That's the story as I recall him saying so at a convention many years back.

That doesn't bother me as long as the art is good, even though I know others don't like that.  

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, delekkerste said:

That Kaluta price is less than what the piece sold for more than a decade ago to one of the previous owners. 

I know who sold the Kaluta Twinkling Conan painting back then and the price it sold for in this C-Link auction is really close...within a few percent without a doubt.

46 minutes ago, TheLostDreams said:

I know who sold the Kaluta Twinkling Conan painting back then and the price it sold for in this C-Link auction is really close...within a few percent without a doubt.

More than just a few percent. :gossip: 

And it sounds like, from other comments made here, the consignor paid even more for it and fared worse as a result. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

More than just a few percent. :gossip: 

And it sounds like, from other comments made here, the consignor paid even more for it and fared worse as a result. 

I'm talking about when the Kaluta Conan painting sold roughly 10 years ago...I know the person who sold it then and this current result from C-link  is within a few percent of that sale price roughly 10 years ago...

27 minutes ago, TheLostDreams said:

I'm talking about when the Kaluta Conan painting sold roughly 10 years ago...I know the person who sold it then and this current result from C-link  is within a few percent of that sale price roughly 10 years ago...

Yes, I'm talking about the sale in 2007.  I would not call the gap between that price and the just-realized price to be "within a few percent" (which I interpret to mean sub-5%). 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yes, I'm talking about the sale in 2007.  I would not call the gap between that price and the just-realized price to be "within a few percent" (which I interpret to mean sub-5%). 

Actual numbers please or it didn't happen.  :devil:

And if I'm reading these posts correctly, that's not taking into what the CLink consignor (who is either the 2007 buyer or a later buyer) netted. 

So that extends the difference to 10% plus or minus "a few percent" 

Unfortunately, the only way this worked out well or "okay" for the consignor was if he bought the art from the 2007 buyer (or a later owner) for at least about 10% plus "a few percent" less than the 2007 buyer paid. 

Or am I misreading?

On 12/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, O. said:

The CLink Jusko Masterpieces went cheap; my buddy was thrilled to pick up Darkhawk at that price (thumbsu

Another friend bought the $3.2k Mr Fantastic on eBay.

Thanks for setting the record straight. Both of your friends bought well. That Mister Fantastic is underappreciated. The way his arm snakes through all that Kirby tech is wonderful. Then a Darkhawk “rookie card” for half the price? If your buddy hangs on to it he’s going to get a lot of value out of it for years to come. 

On 12/6/2018 at 10:16 PM, Panelfan1 said:

First, if Cinfa is a thing, then I’m going to go with Timbra

:foryou:

A few years ago I also asked Timbra what his process was and his answer was incoherent. So I’m glad you got a straight answer. 

Greg Land’s art does nothing for me which is why I never offer my opinion, but be it that I like Timbra... So I stand to be corrected here because I don’t care enough about Greg Land’s work to do heavy research but from what little I know he seems to find photos on the interwebs (in the past, at least) and copy from that. Those “photo references” always looked shoehorned to me thus awkward thus terrible. If Timbra uses his own photo references, well to me that’s an age old tool in the artist’s tool kit. That’s what Alex Ross relies on, for example. His photo reference process has been documented since the beginning, and blatantly more so if you read his newest, Marvelocity. And yet that process doesn’t seem to affect his stature in the comics world. In Marvelocity, Ross (or author Chip Kidd) talks about how Ross just won’t rely on information in head; he needs the photo reference. This is random: I remember that Paul Chadwick’s “Killer Smile” TPb had some behind the scenes supplemental material in the back that included use of his own photo references. But both Ross and Chadwick are at least forming a composition in their head. They aren’t scanning the web, coming across something, then saying, Oh I’ll use that!

I wish I knew more about Timbra’s “tracing” style. If I did maybe I’d change my evaluation of him. But in the meantime, Tim went from an inker to really coming to his own with a unique vision as a cover artist that I hadn’t seen before. Once the Punisher went “Max” the realism was well matched. It was also prescient. In just a year or so later after Tim’s cover work debuted, we witnessed 9/11, then later the Iraq War, then the constant barrage of bodies and beheadings, that Bradstreet’s reaslism—on the Punisher no less—served as a reflection of the anxieties we experienced during the first few years of the 21st century as sh-t got real real fast. 

That’s why, at the moment, I don’t mind the tracing. 

7 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

First, if Cinfa is a thing, then I’m going to go with Timbra

:foryou:

A few years ago I also asked Timbra what his process was and his answer was incoherent. So I’m glad you got a straight answer. 

Greg Land’s art does nothing for me which is why I never offer my opinion, but be it that I like Timbra... So I stand to be corrected here because I don’t care enough about Greg Land’s work to do heavy research but from what little I know he seems to find photos on the interwebs (in the past, at least) and copy from that. Those “photo references” always looked shoehorned to me thus awkward thus terrible. If Timbra uses his own photo references, well to me that’s an age old tool in the artist’s tool kit. That’s what Alex Ross relies on, for example. His photo reference process has been documented since the beginning, and blatantly more so if you read his newest, Marvelocity. And yet that process doesn’t seem to affect his stature in the comics world. In Marvelocity, Ross (or author Chip Kidd) talks about how Ross just won’t rely on information in head; he needs the photo reference. This is random: I remember that Paul Chadwick’s “Killer Smile” TPb had some behind the scenes supplemental material in the back that included use of his own photo references. But both Ross and Chadwick are at least forming a composition in their head. They aren’t scanning the web, coming across something, then saying, Oh I’ll use that!

I wish I knew more about Timbra’s “tracing” style. If I did maybe I’d change my evaluation of him. But in the meantime, Tim went from an inker to really coming to his own with a unique vision as a cover artist that I hadn’t seen before. Once the Punisher went “Max” the realism was well matched. It was also prescient. In just a year or so later after Tim’s cover work debuted, we witnessed 9/11, then later the Iraq War, then the constant barrage of bodies and beheadings, that Bradstreet’s reaslism—on the Punisher no less—served as a reflection of the anxieties we experienced during the first few years of the 21st century as sh-t got real real fast. 

That’s why, at the moment, I don’t mind the tracing. 

Just to add to it.. He said he did this tracing process because it was rhe inliway for him to get that gritty style you like so much.

"cinfa" was Carmine Infantino's credit on the Batman strip in the 1980's - 1990's.

As per Wally Wood:

"Never draw anything you can copy, never copy anything you can trace, never trace anything you can cut out and paste up."

I guess the main point is some people are better at it than others.

Edited by Will_K