• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DD #1 Grading

28 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Did the owner ship the book directly to you ? Did the FMV of the drop from 5.0 to 4.0 only reflect a 25% difference ? I don't know the rarity of the book but I would have asked for more than 25% . (shrug)

Owner shipped to HA, HA shipped to me.  For a GA book this was a fair refund in value for the grade drop. SA book I would have asked for more.

They did as I said offer a 100 percent refund had I wanted that.  They comped all the shipping and reslabbing fees. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, njwis said:
On 11/27/2018 at 6:44 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm very disappointed with the reaction of Heritage. This is a classic case of an 'Item Not as Described'.  Not sure who you talked to but maybe you can climb the corporate ladder, discuss the matter higher up the chain. In any case, you should definitely send it back and argue about the suspension later. They may have already paid off the seller and realize they are going to have to take a loss. IMO, it's the seller that should be suspended, not you. BTW, it may behoove you to mention you brought it up for discussion on the Boards and the consensus was a damaged book, no longer 8.0 .

So Heritage is trying to sell it at the same price with the same old scan.  Wouldn't this be against the law now since they are knowingly selling something that is not the same item as described.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/daredevil-1-marvel-1964-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/826-42066.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Believe me, I'm not an HA defender; but I can clearly see the defect on the above scan when I enhance the image. 

To me, it looks like the overhang has been folded over next to a small tear (there are quite a few tiny tears along the top FC edge).

2c  I think it's just a bad, washed-out scan, and the defect was probably there when CGC graded it.

It's clearer on my home screen, but the gif below will give you an idea of what I'm seeing.

8hR9O7f.gif

23 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Believe me, I'm not an HA defender; but I can clearly see the defect on the above scan when I enhance the image. 

To me, it looks like the overhang has been folded over next to a small tear (there are quite a few tiny tears along the top FC edge).

2c  I think it's just a bad, washed-out scan, and the defect was probably there when CGC graded it.

It's clearer on my home screen, but the gif below will give you an idea of what I'm seeing.

8hR9O7f.gif

I'd agree with you but the graded notes don't include the chip:

Bottom Spine Wear Breaks Color
Center Back Cover Small Tape Pull
Left Bottom Back Cover Small Tear
Left Center Whole Book Small Wear Breaks Color
Left Top Back Cover Medium Crease
Left Top Back Cover Small Tear
Right Center Whole Book Small Wear Breaks Color
Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

On 11/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm very disappointed with the reaction of Heritage. This is a classic case of an 'Item Not as Described'.  Not sure who you talked to but maybe you can climb the corporate ladder, discuss the matter higher up the chain. In any case, you should definitely send it back and argue about the suspension later. They may have already paid off the seller and realize they are going to have to take a loss. IMO, it's the seller that should be suspended, not you. BTW, it may behoove you to mention you brought it up for discussion on the Boards and the consensus was a damaged book, no longer 8.0 .

So I emailed the COO, here was his response:

Thanks for reaching out. This issue is a bit of a dilemma for us. The rules are very clear that there is no return on certified material and our concern is that this will be an ongoing issue with you. I am sure you can appreciate that our consignors count on us to follow these rules. I discussed this book with our comic graders who inspected the book in person for me and they all feel the grade is correct. Not sure how we can overcome this issue given your position, but I am open to suggestions. Regards,  Paul 

Edited by njwis

7 minutes ago, njwis said:

So I talk to the COO, here was his response:

Thanks for reaching out. This issue is a bit of a dilemma for us. The rules are very clear that there is no return on certified material and our concern is that this will be an ongoing issue with you. I am sure you can appreciate that our consignors count on us to follow these rules. I discussed this book with our comic graders who inspected the book in person for me and they all feel the grade is correct. Not sure how we can overcome this issue given your position, but I am open to suggestions. Regards,  Paul 

Not a good response. He is clearly stating they do not want customers like you. Customers that inspect the book, and the slab, for damage. They want customers that will blindly accept the book as long as the label looks the same. They want you to buy the label, not the book. They are protecting the consignor here, not the buyer. I would like to have Heritage come on here to discuss but I suspect they will not.  So much for feeling safe buying from Heritage. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not a good response. He is clearly stating they do not want customers like you. Customers that inspect the book, and the slab, for damage. They want customers that will blindly accept the book as long as the label looks the same. They want you to buy the label, not the book. They are protecting the consignor here, not the buyer. I would like to have Heritage come on here to discuss but I suspect they will not.  So much for feeling safe buying from Heritage. 

so i sent a nice email reply to him and he reinstated my account, I just cant do a Make offer to owner anymore. 

48 minutes ago, njwis said:

so i sent a nice email reply to him and he reinstated my account, I just cant do a Make offer to owner anymore. 

(thumbsu For the record, I am a fan of Heritage. The policy of 'no returns on graded comics' is not unique to Heritage, many Board sales state the same. However, just because it's graded, doesn't mean it's the same as advertised. Damage and deterioration can happen inside a slab or to ther slab. The onus should not be solely on the buyer.  BTW, in your correspondence with Heritage, did you ever get an explanation as to why the two scans were materially different ? It seemed like a bait and switch situation.

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

(thumbsu For the record, I am a fan of Heritage. The policy of 'no returns on graded comics' is not unique to Heritage, many Board sales state the same. However, just because it's graded, doesn't mean it's the same as advertised. Damage and deterioration can happen inside a slab or to ther slab. The onus should not be solely on the buyer.  BTW, in your correspondence with Heritage, did you ever get an explanation as to why the two scans were materially different ? It seemed like a bait and switch situation.

no they wouldn't admit that there was a difference in the scans.  I think its due to the fact it would undermine their whole scanning process and make them admit they "whiten" up scans.  the original scan is from 2005.