• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DD #1 Grading

28 posts in this topic

So I recently did a buy from owner on Ha.com website.  I asked for a new scan from ha.com and they sent me the attached file on the left.  I didn't receive the comic yet but i just noticed the chip on the middle top cover that was not there on the website auciton image (2nd image).  will this materially affect the grade if its something between a 7.0-8.5? i noticed ha said they don't accept returns on graded comics but i feel as though they missed that new chip that wasn't on the original sale when they were doing their due diligence.

i also spoke to my CC company and they don't think i should have a problem being able to return it. has anyone had a similar situation happen to them?

any reply would be appreciated

.Capture.JPG.29490840d64e72b4f0ba85745e70918d.JPGCapture1.thumb.JPG.ebbdb14938340464a2c15ebd398af138.JPG

On 11/24/2018 at 6:28 PM, KobaltDog said:

Its hard to see what's going on. It might not be chipped. It looks like it might be bent outward and that's a shadow in first pic. hm

so i got the comic today and it's definitely a chip missing.  does anyone think that would cause it to be knocked down a grade?

1 hour ago, njwis said:

so i got the comic today and it's definitely a chip missing.  does anyone think that would cause it to be knocked down a grade?

Yes, I would venture to say the original grade is 8.0. IMO, book is now a 7.5, inside an 8.0 slab. I would return it. 

1 hour ago, njwis said:

thanks for your honest opinion.  you were correct it was an 8.0

I'm going to offer up a possible theory of what happened here. The book got damaged during a reholder. Instead of taking up the situation with CGC, the owner puts the book up for sale. I stand by my statement that I think you should return it . 

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm going to offer up a possible theory of what happened here. The book got damaged during a reholder. Instead of taking up the situation with CGC, the owner puts the book up for sale. I stand by my statement that I think you should return it . 

yes makes sense.  i already started the process with ha.com.  just wanted to make sure i wasnt overreacting.  we are talking about a 1k chip here.

So heritage said they weren't going to refund my money unless they suspended my account for one year.  Needless to say im sending it back. Kind of slimy for something they screwed up on.

Can't wait to see what they do with it.  Bet they end up getting it re graded and they sell it for a loss.

1 hour ago, njwis said:

So heritage said they weren't going to refund my money unless they suspended my account for one year.  Needless to say im sending it back. Kind of slimy for something they screwed up on.

Can't wait to see what they do with it.  Bet they end up getting it re graded and they sell it for a loss.

I'm very disappointed with the reaction of Heritage. This is a classic case of an 'Item Not as Described'.  Not sure who you talked to but maybe you can climb the corporate ladder, discuss the matter higher up the chain. In any case, you should definitely send it back and argue about the suspension later. They may have already paid off the seller and realize they are going to have to take a loss. IMO, it's the seller that should be suspended, not you. BTW, it may behoove you to mention you brought it up for discussion on the Boards and the consensus was a damaged book, no longer 8.0 .

On 11/27/2018 at 8:44 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm very disappointed with the reaction of Heritage. This is a classic case of an 'Item Not as Described'.  Not sure who you talked to but maybe you can climb the corporate ladder, discuss the matter higher up the chain. In any case, you should definitely send it back and argue about the suspension later. They may have already paid off the seller and realize they are going to have to take a loss. IMO, it's the seller that should be suspended, not you. BTW, it may behoove you to mention you brought it up for discussion on the Boards and the consensus was a damaged book, no longer 8.0 .

I was so surprised that they are stiffer on the return policy. I returned few books back without a single issue. That was a long time ago but I think they already lost the money on the returned books so they wanted to prevent it. Yeah, they are stiffer.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

So Heritage is trying to sell it at the same price with the same old scan.  Wouldn't this be against the law now since they are knowingly selling something that is not the same item as described.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/daredevil-1-marvel-1964-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/826-42066.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I don’t know if it’s agasint the law but it’s knowingly deceptive. I am amazed that a company of this magnitude and reputation would attempt that. Even if it’s laziness on whoever relisted it , and they just used the stock photo to get it back up for sale , someone needs to be called to the carpet on it. 

On 11/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, njwis said:

So I recently did a buy from owner on Ha.com website.  I asked for a new scan from ha.com and they sent me the attached file on the left.  I didn't receive the comic yet but i just noticed the chip on the middle top cover that was not there on the website auciton image (2nd image).  will this materially affect the grade if its something between a 7.0-8.5? i noticed ha said they don't accept returns on graded comics but i feel as though they missed that new chip that wasn't on the original sale when they were doing their due diligence.

i also spoke to my CC company and they don't think i should have a problem being able to return it. has anyone had a similar situation happen to them?

any reply would be appreciated

.Capture.JPG.29490840d64e72b4f0ba85745e70918d.JPGCapture1.thumb.JPG.ebbdb14938340464a2c15ebd398af138.JPG

So, the bottom scan is the scan from their site and the top scan is your scan of the book after you received it?  If so, it does appear the book was somehow damaged.  That's unusual damage to occur in a slab, given that there doesn't seem to be any other damage to the top edge.

Surprised they’re giving you a hard time. I bought a GA book from them 3 years ago through make offer to owner.  The case was cracked in transit.

They took it back to reholder it but called me two weeks later to say CGC told them the grade was being dropped from a 5.0 to a 4.0 because the cover had become detached.  They offered a full refund, but I wanted to keep the book, it was a tough one to get... I proposed a 25% refund, and me keeping the book, and they were cool with that.

Much rather the book had stayed a 5.0 but it is what it is.  I was satisfied with how it was handled.  Not sure who I dealt with but maybe you need to speak to a higher up or a different person.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Surprised they’re giving you a hard time. I bought a GA book from them 3 years ago through make offer to owner.  The case was cracked in transit.

They took it back to reholder it but called me two weeks later to say CGC told them the grade was being dropped from a 5.0 to a 4.0 because the cover had become detached.  They offered a full refund, but I wanted to keep the book, it was a tough one to get... I proposed a 25% refund, and me keeping the book, and they were cool with that.

Much rather the book had stayed a 5.0 but it is what it is.  I was satisfied with how it was handled.  Not sure who I dealt with but maybe you need to speak to a higher up or a different person.

Did the owner ship the book directly to you ? Did the FMV of the drop from 5.0 to 4.0 only reflect a 25% difference ? I don't know the rarity of the book but I would have asked for more than 25% . (shrug)