• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger SA key: Silver Surfer 1 or Fantastic Four 49
2 2

Bigger SA key: Silver Surfer 1 or Fantastic Four 49?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: Silver Surfer 1 (1968) or Fantastic Four 49

• Silver Surfer 1
    • Fantastic Four 49
    • No preference

42 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

What's the bigger SA key in terms of value and historical significance? 

Silver Surfer 1

or

Fantastic Four 49

Thanks!

john

What do you mean?
It largely depends on how much significance one would give to the title as opposed to the character.
If I were a Silver Surfer fan, they would be both. And #48 and #50 too.
As for monetary value, I don’t care. That comes after.

If I had to choose between the three, well, it probably would be Fantastic Four #50, as it’s the one I like more of the three. :)

They’re both big books.  I give the nod to FF49 as it’s older and I’m biased to FF.  Historically, I think 49 is more important as well.  

But we’re in the age of first apps & #1s.  Lots of people are going to like Surfer 1 over 49.  It’s a classic as well.

3 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Easy win here for FF 49.

If the silver age has a single, greatest moment, that moment is found in Fantastic Four 49. 

Not so sure it's that easy KirbyJack. Hence, the comparison. Thanks for participating nevertheless (thumbsu 

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

They’re both big books.  I give the nod to FF49 as it’s older and I’m biased to FF.  Historically, I think 49 is more important as well.  

But we’re in the age of first apps & #1s.  Lots of people are going to like Surfer 1 over 49.  It’s a classic as well.

You're raising one of the reasons why I started this thread. Both books are great books!

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

49 in a landslide for me--i just can't ever get too excited about the late-60's #1's.  

And that’s the knockout blow, right?  As great as Surfer #1 is, it just can’t be better than FF49.  First Surfer cover.  And those colors!  Is there anything more “silver age” than that?

F.F. 49 For The Win!!!

IMO the Trilogy is one of the best storylines ever introducing two characters that became mainstay's in the Marvel Universe.

On the other hand...

The start of several hero's receiving their own title (Silver Surfer, Captain America, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Sub-Mariner) is one of the events that signified the beginning of the end of the Silver Age for me.  (Along with 12 cents to 15 cent cover price and the end of the decade)

12 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Yep FF 49 for me too.  It's tied as my favorite silver age cover all-time cover.
to be fair, Silver Surfer #1 isn't too shabby, either.

12 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, what's your other favorite?

My favorite is Silver Surfer #4 all the way.

My other favorite cover is amazing Spider-Man #29.  I'm a sucker for Ditko's take on a periscope view of Spidey's underwater battle scene with the Scorpion.  Just a fantastic composition that showcases Ditko's unique style.
Silver Surfer #4 is a great one, too.  If we're talking Buscema, I really like his Avengers Annual #2 cover, as well.

It's all great stuff!

I think it is easily FF49 - 1st full Galactus (one of the best Marvel Villains), 1st Surfer cover, and the second part of an epic trilogy!

While SS1 is great (and a book that is on my list) - it is arguable that SS3 and SS4 are equally as important.

As a Silver Surfer Fan I think you need FF48-50, and at Least SS1, SS3, and SS4 (I want to put together the full run) ....... but there are many other great Silver Surfer books :)