• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Home Security Cameras

26 posts in this topic

I've been looking into adding a security camera to my Man Cave but have some concerns. The room has a window that I have hung a Black Out curtain to prevent sunlight in. I only use a Cree non-UV/IR bulbs. All framed art has museum glass with UV protection. If I add a camera with motion detection to my room, will the Infrared light emitted from the camera defeat the precautions that I've put in place?

I'm not talking about high-end pieces but I still want to enjoy my art for many years to come without causing harm. Any thoughts, comments?

Thank you for reading.

James

Does the framed art have the microchamber paper or matting on it?  How about a room dehumidifier and air/heat managed on a nest smart system?  I think you would be in more danger of the art getting damaged rather than stolen.

Put motion detectors in the man cave and sensors on the windows and doors and so they will be triggered as soon as someone enters any room in the house from the outside.  Then put cameras outside of the house facing the window, and all over outside the house including the street so you can see who is approaching from all directions and interlocking.  Then motion sensor lights on the on/off switch so the room lights will go on if someone enters and regular cameras in the room.  Then the HD infrared camera on the way into the mancave and at all entry points.  Then make the door of the mancave into a hidden door like behind a bookcase like they are in new homes like on HGTV.  Then hire the guy in the picture below to sit on the porch to repel people.  Like viewers.

IMG_C99DF4D05372-1.jpeg

3 hours ago, thethedew said:

You guys are being SOOOOOO helpful to the O.P.

Given the O.P's current level of preparation, care and continuing worry, I believe the only way he's every going to gain solace is by printing out full size scans of his collection and hanging those on the wall instead. 

49 minutes ago, Comix4Sale said:

I used to keep an alligator in the room but he got too big so I released him into the NYC sewer system. xD

... still looking for a serious answer though.

Except for the end, my answer was a serious answer.  My house was broken into a couple of years ago even though I had a home alarm system.  I don't live too far from what was one of the largest homeless encampments in the US until it was broken up, dispersing people into almost every nearby suburban neighborhood.  While I don't have too much of value at the house and maybe only one small thing was stolen, it made me consider that for a fraction of the price of original art, I should develop a system that would be as good as possible.  I did a lot of research and had people try to give me ways they would break in so I could make it more difficult.  I left off a few things.  If you PM me I would tell you more things I did.

Although I would want to punch Jeph Loeb too.  That was correct.

3 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Except for the end, my answer was a serious answer.

I may be one of the few that considered yours to be a serious answer.

To the OP:

Were you only installing security cameras in the man-cave??  Or is this part of a plan to put cameras throughout your residence ??

Edited by Will_K

20 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Given the O.P's current level of preparation, care and continuing worry, I believe the only way he's every going to gain solace is by printing out full size scans of his collection and hanging those on the wall instead. 

Which is what I've ultimately done with my framed pieces, actually.  Frame and forget.

Just put this up, and have the motion sensor trigger phrases like:

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?," or;

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that," or;

"I know that you and Frank were planning to steal this John Byrne X-Men page, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

Image result for Hal 9000

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, thethedew said:

Which is what I've ultimately done with my framed pieces, actually.  Frame and forget.

If it was constantly on my mind, or if I framed any pieces of significant value, that's what I'd do. 

I refrain from hanging the originals that are my favorites or have significant value for that reason. 

Another reason is, in case of fire, or break-in, or other catastrophe, I'd rather be able to grab a museum box and go, or know that the pieces are in a safe than on the wall and either destroyed or gone. 

Hi-res scans do the job for that. 

Another idea I have been toying with for a couple of years is an art-sized digital photo frame, 11x17 or 12x18 viewing area where I can stream, upload, or place on an SD card, scans of all my artwork and have them be displayed in a random shuffle, 10-20 seconds at a time....that way I can see more of my collection than I ever could with traditional framing. I could hang one in my office and another at home.  I've been waiting for the tech to get cheaper, larger, and more reliable. Right now I can get one for about $250, but I don't like to be an early adopter on this stuff. Once the bugs are out and the price comes down that's the route I'd like to go.

48 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

If it was constantly on my mind, or if I framed any pieces of significant value, that's what I'd do. 

I refrain from hanging the originals that are my favorites or have significant value for that reason. 

Another reason is, in case of fire, or break-in, or other catastrophe, I'd rather be able to grab a museum box and go, or know that the pieces are in a safe than on the wall and either destroyed or gone. 

Hi-res scans do the job for that. 

Another idea I have been toying with for a couple of years is an art-sized digital photo frame, 11x17 or 12x18 viewing area where I can stream, upload, or place on an SD card, scans of all my artwork and have them be displayed in a random shuffle, 10-20 seconds at a time....that way I can see more of my collection than I ever could with traditional framing. I could hang one in my office and another at home.  I've been waiting for the tech to get cheaper, larger, and more reliable. Right now I can get one for about $250, but I don't like to be an early adopter on this stuff. Once the bugs are out and the price comes down that's the route I'd like to go.

I just can't see the point of this. I understand the concerns that drive the behavior but buying the real deal to frame the copy is just...weird to me. That said, I frame pieces and then hide them in the closet, or more often they are on the floor against the wall turned frame side in to avoid the light exposure. I have lots of things draped as well. So yeah, I have my own issues ;)

1 minute ago, cstojano said:

I just can't see the point of this. I understand the concerns that drive the behavior but buying the real deal to frame the copy is just...weird to me. That said, I frame pieces and then hide them in the closet, or more often they are on the floor against the wall turned frame side in to avoid the light exposure. I have lots of things draped as well. So yeah, I have my own issues ;)

lol Yeah, we all deal with our issues differently I guess. I used to think hanging scans was a strange thing to do too. Age and relative value have disabused me of that feeling though. 

Given technology, standing 2-3 feet from a piece that's behind glass there's nothing the eye can see that would differentiate between a 300dpi scan and the original. So I still own it, know I own it, can see it, and don't worry about it anywhere near as much as if it were hanging out in the open. 

Honestly, this wasn't a concern when my pieces were $100, $300, $1,000 each. Now that those pieces are $2,000, $5,000, $50,000 it really amps up the worry factor. 

I hired a couple that do interpretive dance about each of my pieces, so I can keep the originals locked away from the sun and my own prying eyes! It’s great. In fact, I paid them to hide the pieces so I don’t get tempted to ever expose them to the light by looking at them.

Why ever have to look at those originals when these folks can totally move and groove and and I get the peace of mind and joy of their interpretations! 

Though now now that I’m typing this, I’m wondering why I don’t just make a copy of the originals then hang those AND sell the originals? Then if the market crashes, I’m not stuck having tons of money tied up in something I can’t look at!

Win/win?

Edited by ESeffinga

8 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I hired a couple that do interpretive dance about each of my pieces, so I can keep the originals locked away from the sun and my own prying eyes! It’s great. In fact, I paid them to hide the pieces so I don’t get tempted to ever expose them to the light by looking at them.

Why ever have to look at those originals when these folks can totally move and groove and and I get the peace of mind and joy of their interpretations! 

Though now now that I’m typing this, I’m wondering why I don’t just make a copy of the originals then hang those AND sell the originals? Then if the market crashes, I’m not stuck having tons of money tied up in something I can’t look at!

Win/win?

Sure, laugh it up!

But if you ever see this guy sneaking around your neighborhood....

tmp_UH2NHU_5eeb539dd726a1a2_MCDNATR_EC029_1_.thumb.jpg.a41e4701c816f683ce97cd9f5ee93924.jpg

You'll be glad you had those dancers hide those pieces......

I only have framed pieces I have paid less than, or roughly $200 each, so I don't particularly worry about exposure damage (northwest room, indirect light).  But, I've seen enough distressed art that it really should be a consideration for new collectors of high end art. 

Particularly, pieces that have attachments (lettering balloons, photostat corrections, titles), or whiteout, or zipatone, or marker (not india ink) should be exhibited with care because of the uneven aging qualities of the collage components.

David

Edited by aokartman
clarify