• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #700

18 posts in this topic

Read it last night.  Fun read.  It actually reminded me of what comics used to be.  Lots of action, in a Battle Royale type of event, with some surprises.    Still not crazy about Ghost Rider being in the group (he should be a loner), but Finch is off to a good start.  This is why I continue to read Modern comics.  

av700.jpg

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I get it, no one actually reads Moderns anymore.  

crickets.jpg

I still do. I'm actually a couple behind on Avengers, but I've heard the same from others about this issue. Venom, Daredevil, ASM, Hulk...are all really good/great at the moment. If Cates has his name on it, read it. Pure gold.

6 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I still do. I'm actually a couple behind on Avengers, but I've heard the same from others about this issue. Venom, Daredevil, ASM, Hulk...are all really good/great at the moment. If Cates has his name on it, read it. Pure gold.

Yeah DD, ASM and Hulk are all on my pull list.  

I haven't picked up Avengers in a long while. After 402 and the Onslaught cross-universe event, I stopped. Then I went for 40-60 issues I guess when Busiek and Perez rebooted. I have passed on all subsequent reboots. If I pick this up, can I jump in? Is all of what I missed relevant continuity to this current book?

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I haven't picked up Avengers in a long while. After 402 and the Onslaught cross-universe event, I stopped. Then I went for 40-60 issues I guess when Busiek and Perez rebooted. I have passed on all subsequent reboots. If I pick this up, can I jump in? Is all of what I missed relevant continuity to this current book?

No problems jumping in right now.  Basically Iron Man, Thor & Captain America have put the band back together.  (There is a new backstory going on with Odin & what appear to be an early incarnation of the Avengers a lonnnnnng time ago.  This appears as blips within the story since issue #1, that they seem to be building up toward). Issue 700 was fun.  Namor & his sea denizens vs.  the Avengers vs. the new look Red Guard from Russia.  Old time rock em sock em comic book battles.  

Edited by Mercury Man

5 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

No problems jumping in right now.  Basically Iron Man, Thor & Hulk have put the band back together.  (There is a new backstory going on with Odin & what appear to be an early incarnation of the Avengers a lonnnnnng time ago.  This appears as blips within the story since issue #1, that they seem to be building up toward). Issue 700 was fun.  Namor & his sea denizens vs.  the Avengers vs. the new look Red Guard from Russia.  Old time rock em sock em comic book battles.  

Thank you, I'll check it out!

20 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I get it, no one actually reads Moderns anymore.  

crickets.jpg

Just read it last night and Aaron's Avenger's run thus far has been fun.  Nothing memorable or epic, just one of those summer movies that you watch to be entertained, not necessarily because it has any real depth.  I mean, the writing is still good, but it's not like Al Ewing Immortal Hulk good.  McGuinness' art works well, I've always liked his cartoony style of super hero art.  I'm interested to see where the 1,000,000BC Avengers story goes.  I just hope he doesn't drag it out the way he has with Thor and the "War of the Realms".  Though, it sounds like it might be crossing over?

Side note: I really miss when Marvel would leave editorial notes.  There's one part in the issue where it would have been nice to see a mention of Infinity Wars (as in, "this issue occurs before "Infinity Wars #6", on stands now! - Editor Name")

I'm digging Avengers right now. Bringing in the 1,000,000 BC Avengers without totally messing up continuity has been fun (though how Odin has kept from talking about his time with Phoenix all these years...).

My only gripe, and it's probably only a product of today where we know what's coming down the pipe much sooner than we did pre-internet, but the current Namor storyline in Avengers will go away and he'll be an anti-hero again shortly for the new Defenders title. Knowing he's about to be pushed back into a hero team (classic Defenders line-up) kinda takes the steam out of his current story. For a hot minute, it looked like he was going down a road you can't come back from. Then they walked back killing Stingray. I'm sorry, how did he survive?

I missed the first seven issues of this run b/c my LCS doesn't order in large numbers and I only recently started a pull list. I was lucky enough to hit Austin Books and Comics on a business trip a while back and was able to pick up the whole run. Whew!

44 minutes ago, Conacon said:

My only gripe, and it's probably only a product of today where we know what's coming down the pipe much sooner than we did pre-internet, but the current Namor storyline in Avengers will go away and he'll be an anti-hero again shortly for the new Defenders title. Knowing he's about to be pushed back into a hero team (classic Defenders line-up) kinda takes the steam out of his current story.

Do we know with certainty that the Defenders story is within the current continuity?  I just figured it was a side story that occurred at some point in the Marvel timeline, but not necessarily within what is currently the Marvel Present.

While Venom is in my opinion, the best of the current, Immortal Hulk is great due to it's one-shot monthly feel, with a little side story that carries throughout. The first TPB for Hulk, ASM & Venom just came out last week so it's a great chance to catch up. Pretty sure the first Avengers TPB is already out too. Daredevil is about to wrap up it's current run with #612 I believe.

9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I thought that too.  You all find Immortal Hulk to be more of like a horror comic than a superhero comic?

Definitely! Bennett's art has been outstanding also. Didn't know who he was before this series. Hoping he sticks around.

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I thought that too.  You all find Immortal Hulk to be more of like a horror comic than a superhero comic?

Spoilers!

The past few issues for sure! When Hulk is trying to talk to the scientist, but can't since he's only a head and when he broke free and his body parts came together and swallowed the scientist... yeah. Horror came to mind.

On November 27, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Mercury Man said:

Meant to type 'Captain America' not the Hulk.  (only She-Hulk is in the group). 

MM,

I picked it up and tried it, and I do see everything you pointed out, mostly, but it wasn't enough for me to start pulling a new book again. I appreciate it, and plot-wise it's fun enough, but what I could not get past was/is that most every character has the same dialogue. There is almost no distinction among the personalities; everyone talks like a flippant bad@ss, sort of like a cross between the personalities of Spidey and wolverine -- even the Wasp! This guy seems ok at conceiving storylines but his characters don't seem fleshed out.

Is the dialogue consistent with other issues, or is my sample (one extra-length issue) too small?

Either way, thanks for getting me to look at what's going on in a current Marvel book. At least Tony Stark was Iron Man and Cap wasn't a Nazi. doh!