• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not sure if you're aware of the movie rights of the Spider-Man characters which include Venom, but Venom and Carnage can't be in Disney's MCU because Sony has those rights and thus the Venom films are a completely separate franchise and storyline. The only way Venom and Carnage show up in the MCU is if Sony and Disney sign some new mega deal that not only lets Disney use Spider-Man in the MCU, but the Venom characters. At the same time, I'm sure Marvel Studios and Sony do not want to have two separate Venoms going on at the same time, so Marvel Studios will leave Venom and Carnage alone to prevent confusion. Even if Carnage dies in this next Venom movie, it has no bearing if Marvel Studios one day uses the character in the MCU (when Disney gets Spider-Man's movie rights back) because it's a completely separate franchise and story universe. I'm not a big Symbiote fan but Venom has grown on me epecially since I own a high grade copy of ASM300. I can get behind its recent rise to Wholly Grailness.

This is short-sighted thinking on your part.

Yes - Sony currently holds the film rights to the Spider-Man universe characters, and my understanding is the MCU-Sony sharing is currently only in place for Peter Parker / Spider-Man.

But if Kevin Feige wanted to use Venom, or Carnage, or Morbius (etc.) in the MCU, there'd be a revenue share agreement with Sony in place by next month.

So other takeaways I have after watching the trailer again is this is probably tied at least loosely to the MCU or one of the other Spiderman universes. The Daily Bugle newspaper logo is the same as Raimis. There's also a headline that says "...engers...nightmare..." which is probably intentionally misleading to be taken as Avengers, but is more likely just challengers or something similar. If Venom and Morbius take place in the same SUMC we already know Micheal Keatons Vulture is present so we have another connection to the MCU. Whether this all leads into the multiverse that will be explored in No Way Home remains to be seen.

*Tinfoil hat time!*

There's also Cletus crushing the spider and the line he delivers "the rescuer never comes" which seems ominous. If this is in fact a seperate universe maybe Cletus murdered this universes Peter before he became Spiderman? Perhaps that's the crime that lands him in Ravencroft in the first place? Is one of the families at the lethal injection the Parkers? It would explain why there's no mention of a Spiderman in this universe thus far. Food for thought hm

I was actually hoping it might have something more about it after Serkis took on the directing job. The brief Carnage appearance looks pretty cool but they'll need to be clever with the battle scenes as we already got plenty of symbiote v symbiote action in the first film. 

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not sure if you're aware of the movie rights of the Spider-Man characters which include Venom, but Venom and Carnage can't be in Disney's MCU because Sony has those rights and thus the Venom films are a completely separate franchise and storyline. The only way Venom and Carnage show up in the MCU is if Sony and Disney sign some new mega deal that not only lets Disney use Spider-Man in the MCU, but the Venom characters. At the same time, I'm sure Marvel Studios and Sony do not want to have two separate Venoms going on at the same time, so Marvel Studios will leave Venom and Carnage alone to prevent confusion. Even if Carnage dies in this next Venom movie, it has no bearing if Marvel Studios one day uses the character in the MCU (when Disney gets Spider-Man's movie rights back) because it's a completely separate franchise and story universe. I'm not a big Symbiote fan but Venom has grown on me epecially since I own a high grade copy of ASM300. I can get behind its recent rise to Wholly Grailness.

i believe you are correct. I heard with the new Spider-Man sony deal though, Spider-man can be in other MCU movie titles but Spider-Man villains can ONLY be in Spider-Man MCU movies.

creating a new Venom just for MCU would be terrible. I mean look at poor Quicksilver.

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

So other takeaways I have after watching the trailer again is this is probably tied at least loosely to the MCU or one of the other Spiderman universes. The Daily Bugle newspaper logo is the same as Raimis. There's also a headline that says "...engers...nightmare..." which is probably intentionally misleading to be taken as Avengers, but is more likely just challengers or something similar. If Venom and Morbius take place in the same SUMC we already know Micheal Keatons Vulture is present so we have another connection to the MCU. Whether this all leads into the multiverse that will be explored in No Way Home remains to be seen.

*Tinfoil hat time!*

There's also Cletus crushing the spider and the line he delivers "the rescuer never comes" which seems ominous. If this is in fact a seperate universe maybe Cletus murdered this universes Peter before he became Spiderman? Perhaps that's the crime that lands him in Ravencroft in the first place? Is one of the families at the lethal injection the Parkers? It would explain why there's no mention of a Spiderman in this universe thus far. Food for thought hm

the MCU Spider-Man really has no backstory besides what he discussed with Tony in Civil War. Maybe Cletus killed the Parker parents or Uncle Ben if there was an Uncle Ben character in the MCU. All we know that there is an Aunt May. it would be a nice connection for an older Peter if they decided to keep Carnage handy for MCU. I think Peter would have had more of an influence or reason to be Spider-Man to tell Tony if his parents or relative was murdered by a maniac. Venom on the other hand if he gets to the MCU would need a reason to hate Parker or even know who Parker is and i think that link would be through his ex-wife. Maybe she would die in an accident. I can't see the symbiote having a reason to be drawn to Parker in the MCU since it already found Eddie and then where would Secret Wars play into all of this? Could they still give Spider-Man a symbiote even though Eddie has one already? They could have the symbiotes fight it out but once Peter ditches the symbiote, who would it go to if it wasn't destroyed? 

sorry, i'm thinking out like 10 years of Spider-Man movies. Forget Secret Wars, just go with Secret Invasion

14 minutes ago, miscus555 said:

the MCU Spider-Man really has no backstory besides what he discussed with Tony in Civil War. Maybe Cletus killed the Parker parents or Uncle Ben if there was an Uncle Ben character in the MCU. All we know that there is an Aunt May. it would be a nice connection for an older Peter if they decided to keep Carnage handy for MCU. I think Peter would have had more of an influence or reason to be Spider-Man to tell Tony if his parents or relative was murdered by a maniac. Venom on the other hand if he gets to the MCU would need a reason to hate Parker or even know who Parker is and i think that link would be through his ex-wife. Maybe she would die in an accident. I can't see the symbiote having a reason to be drawn to Parker in the MCU since it already found Eddie and then where would Secret Wars play into all of this? Could they still give Spider-Man a symbiote even though Eddie has one already? They could have the symbiotes fight it out but once Peter ditches the symbiote, who would it go to if it wasn't destroyed? 

sorry, i'm thinking out like 10 years of Spider-Man movies. Forget Secret Wars, just go with Secret Invasion

The full details of the Sony-Disney Spider-Man rights updated deal were never fully announced. But Feige said something that was very interesting.

Sony and Disney reach a deal to continue Spider-Man movie partnership

As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in a future Marvel Studios film.

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in the statement. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

With this and even the latest Disney Streaming/Sony deal to feed all of its platforms the two companies get in bed deeper and deeper.

Finally saw the trailer and it left me feeling meh.  It does a pretty good job of keeping the vibe of the 1st one (and I liked that one) but it just felt a bit flat for a trailer.  I kind of got a New Mutants vibe from it and that one was a meh movie all the way around.  I'll definitely watch it since I like popcorn movies with little substance but I can understand why some people were turned off by it.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Finally saw the trailer and it left me feeling meh.  It does a pretty good job of keeping the vibe of the 1st one (and I liked that one) but it just felt a bit flat for a trailer.  I kind of got a New Mutants vibe from it and that one was a meh movie all the way around.  I'll definitely watch it since I like popcorn movies with little substance but I can understand why some people were turned off by it.

Yeah I like Tom Hardy but I just don't see him as Eddie.  He's better not speaking and wearing a mask honestly. 

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Yeah I like Tom Hardy but I just don't see him as Eddie.  He's better not speaking and wearing a mask honestly. 

I actually have no complains about Hardy in this role.  His acting was a bit stiff in the 1st one but I really liked the corny back and forth between him and Venom.  I'm worried it will go from corny fun to just lame if they keep going for the same gags in this one but I remain hopeful.  Woody has always been a good actor so I'm not too worried about him.  I'm sure young people will like it no matter how it plays out with board members.

2 hours ago, RickSp said:

we already got plenty of symbiote v symbiote action in the first film. 

This is pretty much how I feel and why I think the villain of the first movie was ultimately a waste.  Other than being more of a psychopath, the powersets are exactly the same.  I know Venom doesn't have a deep rogues gallery, but two straight movies where he fights a symbiote doesn't excite me.

It's bad when Marvel releases a "welcome back to the movies" hype video that excites me 10x more than an actual trailer.

I'm not impressed tbh....and I'm a major Carnage and Venom fan....like the whole breakfast scene was to intense for a breakfast scene...nobody wants that....I did like the lethal injection scene though...but honestly there is Hannibal Lecter crazy (which is subtly crazy) and then there is "Hey look at me I'm crazy" which you get with Cletus Cassidy....I'm disappointed 

5 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

It's a Punch and Judy show

It's lined up perfectly for the audience they want. People desperate for movies with money

Then some of them will want to buy our graded comic books afterwards...:headbang:

Just now, CHASEnBLUE said:

Then some of them will want to buy our graded comic books afterwards...:headbang:

Of course 

But who here is desperate for a good STORY?

I know I am. The comic book movies have been ok. That's it, just ok.

There is so MUCH viable content in Marvel alone to make not just ok movies, but fantastic movies. Stories aren't meant to find the best gross, they are meant to entertain, and that means some people won't like them.

I want LOTR. I want the original Infinity Gauntlet. Thanos was a badarse. A badarse who worshipped Death.

Where is Mephisto? Give me some downright evil and horrific villains. 

Where is the real Apocalypse 

Give me Age of Apocalypse, where heroes die, the future is bleak, and Magneto saves both mutant and human kind.

7 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I'm trying to think of a time when I saw bad trailers and the movie ended up being good. Drawing a blank...

The Man Who Knew Too Little. A good Bill Murray movie that bombed because of a bad and misleading trailer.