• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

Woody Harrelson is, in fact, returning to Venom 2. Though many had speculated on the fan-favorite's involvement in the highly-anticipated follow-up since a brief appearance in a Venom post-credits scene, the confirmation comes from Venom 2 cinematographer Robert Richardson. Richardson himself confirmed as much in a recent interview with Collider.

At one point, Richardson was reported to have been attached to Ben Affleck's The Batman, but left after Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) took over. In the press fallout after the changing of the guard, Richardson admitted he wanted to board a superhero property at some point, which was the main point in drawing him to Sony's Venom sequel. In the same breath, Richardson made to sure point out Harrelson's involvement as a major plus to joining the production.

"I think it’s unexplored yet, and it’s going to explode, and this film, I think, will help it explode, because you have a remarkable central character with Venom," Richardson explains. "But now you’ve got Woody Harrelson, who’s going to obviously make his own little entrance here, and we’ll see what else comes in with the Sony Marvel collaboration."

Richardson also admits he's a big fan of Venom star Tom Hardy, saying the actor is always on the mark. "I look forward to it. It’s a massive change for me, but I’m excited. I think Hardy is one of our best. He never misses. I so look forward to sitting with him and watching him perform," says Richardson.

According to the new listing, Venom 2 will begin production on November 25th under the working title "Fillmore." That means we're a little over two months away from Hardy's return to his zany portrayal of Eddie Brock.

Producer Amy Pascal said that Hardy portrayed the definitive version of the popular Marvel anti-hero, explaining in an interview with Fandango that the actor is pivotal to the franchise.

"It's a couple of things. One of them is that Sony did a great job creating that franchise and giving it a life and giving it its own world," Pascal said. "Then there's Tom Hardy. When you think of Venom, you'll never be able to think of anyone but Tom Hardy sitting in that bathtub of lobsters. And once you saw Tom Hardy do this character, that's all you needed to know."

The film will likely flesh out Woody Harrelson's role as Cletus Kasady, who was briefly teased in the end of Venom. It's likely that he'll get his own Symbiote in Venom 2, finally becoming the fan-favorite Spider-Man villain Carnage.

As Venom 2 inches closer to production, the film has added another major superhero player to its crew. New reports (via THR) suggest former X-Men producer Hutch Parker has joined Sony's Andy Serkis-led film. Most recently, Parker was credited on the critically-panned Dark Phoenix, though other X-Men credits include the Oscar-nominated Logan as well as X-Men: Days of Future Past. Other superhero credits for Parker include The Wolverine, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot.

Parker will join perennial Marvel producers Amy Pascal, Avi Arad, and Matt Tolmach on the project. In fact, other reports say he's already been part of the project for months, helping Serkis lay the groundwork for the film. Production on the film is expected to begin in a matter of weeks from a -script by Venom scribe Kelly Marcel.

But one franchise Fleischer is pleased to hand over to a new director is the Venomverse. Having helmed the first film in Sony’s new comic-book movie universe, Fleischer found himself on the receiving end of some hurtful criticism.

When asked what he would have changed about Venom (thanks for the question, Rainskull), Fleischer says, “If anything, I would have changed the critics’ reaction to it. I was really bummed that people didn’t like it because it’s a crowd-pleasing movie and I’m not sure if there was just blowback against Sony or people just worship Marvel. But I was really surprised that the critics [were gunning for it] because audiences really enjoyed the movie. And so many people who’ve seen it just appreciated that it was a fun superhero movie. So I was a little surprised. I don’t know what they were expecting.”

It looks like Carnage will have company in Sony’s upcoming Venom sequel. The Marvel Comics character called Shriek has been incorporated into the plot of the Venom sequel (due in theaters on Oct. 2, 2020), according to two sources close to the project.

A Sony spokesman declined comment, citing the early-days status of the project, which won’t begin principle photography until early next year.

The addition of Shriek is a logical choice considering the character’s history in the pages of Marvel Comics as the sonic-powered accomplice and romantic interest of serial killer Cletus Kasaday, aka Carnage, the monstrous archenemy of Venom.

Sounds like a logical addition versus the previous mistake of just inserting multiple villains with no logical purpose.

42 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Non-MCU entities have to knock it off with the credit scenes. It's annoying.

Another reason to praise Zack Snyder - for not pandering to this fad.

I like it....gives me an idea of what's next. It adds to the excitement 

Edited by Hollywood1892

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

What are you talking about....your responses are confusing

All you did is argue and complain about the Joker for days and now your going too see it twice...confusing

Your motivates are transparent.

You are so dead-wrong in your second sentence. What you said here makes literally no sense. "Argue and complain"? There's literally no way you can misconstrue my comments in this way.