• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "All-American Publication Cover Logo" Run is COMPLETE !!
2 2

74 posts in this topic

Well, that's all 48 of them.

I'm DONE!!!

:acclaim:

:whee:

Next, we must pressure CGC to change their labeling practice and stop calling these 48 books "D.C. Comics".

I want to see some slabs where the label says "All-American Publications"! :sumo:

We need an energetic intern (unpaid, of course)  lol 

Edited by EC ed

Ed - great collection. As a kid I used to wonder about that logo and what it meant; I didn't realize there was such a schism before Gaines sold out to DC.

I think I counted three variants of the logo (not counted color differences) as follows:

An All American Publication with "AA" inside.

An All American Publication with "10c" inside.

An All American Publication with "15c" inside. (Comic Cavalcade only)

Did I miss any?

Do you know what books there are that don't actually have the logo, but would be AA books from the era?  Obviously the Big All-American Comic Book, but I wonder if any of the Picture Stories from the Bible collections actually came out in the relative time frame, as well. 

Mind you, I fully respect using the lack of the actual logo to not include the Big AA book as part of the run; it's not what I would call an easy book to get.  (I've actually got 3 tearsheets from the book so I've got the Scribbly story; otherwise the reprint will have to do for me for that one.)

On 11/28/2018 at 12:31 AM, OtherEric said:

I fully respect using the lack of the actual logo to not include the Big AA book as part of the run; it's not what I would call an easy book to get.

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I had to check my Big All American and sure enough, no logo. I would have thought it would have.

I used to have a copy of the Big All-American, and I sold it specifically because it didn't meet my "cover logo" criterion. I had to draw the boundaries around this collection somewhere, and the books that I find most salient are the ones where Max actually branded the book by putting the AA logo on the cover. To me, THAT was the significant transitional milestone.

Stated differently, the title of the book is not the salient characteristic for purposes of this collecting subset as I've defined it for myself. For example, just because the Big All-American Comic Book has the words "All American" in the title doesn't make it a fit. Taking that further, there were also 63 issues of "All-American Comics" published (between 1939 and 1945) that didn't have the AA cover logo either (i.e., they were branded using DC's logo, as discussed in my first post)...so, they're also not a part of this, even though the words "All American" appear in the title.

:smile:

Edited by EC ed

On 11/28/2018 at 12:13 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I think I counted three variants of the logo (not counted color differences) as follows:

An All American Publication with "AA" inside.

An All American Publication with "10c" inside.

An All American Publication with "15c" inside. (Comic Cavalcade only)

I think you got them all! (great eye for detail, by the way (thumbsu )

On 11/28/2018 at 12:31 AM, OtherEric said:

Do you know what books there are that don't actually have the logo, but would be AA books from the era?  Obviously the Big All-American Comic Book, but I wonder if any of the Picture Stories from the Bible collections actually came out in the relative time frame, as well

Interesting observation/question. Indeed, I think you're right. I basically have all of the Picture Stories from the Bible issues, and quite a few of them (especially the "Complete" editions) don't have a cover logo of any brand...I think those books spanned the "DC branding era," the "All-American branding era" and the "EC era." I can't think of any other books from the era that are without one of the logos (i.e., the Big All-American and Picture Stories are the only examples I can think of).

On 11/27/2018 at 10:12 PM, Robot Man said:

Now you need to find one of these.

Nah, I'm only after the comics, not associated ephemera (yet, at least :D ). Besides, although that set is awesome, I don't see the AA logo anywhere :baiting:

Now, if we really want to pick nits, there is indeed one item that I "need" to find. Specifically, there is one promo/giveaway "comic" from 1945 that bears the AA logo ("Tomorrow the World") - I'll be keeping an eye out for that one. :grin: 

14 hours ago, EC ed said:

Nah, I'm only after the comics, not associated ephemera (yet, at least :D ). Besides, although that set is awesome, I don't see the AA logo anywhere :baiting:

Now, if we really want to pick nits, there is indeed one item that I "need" to find. Specifically, there is one promo/giveaway "comic" from 1945 that bears the AA logo ("Tomorrow the World") - I'll be keeping an eye out for that one. :grin: 

Well, it does say "All American Comics" all over it...Not DC... and it from the period of the comics you posted... :sumo:But the logo seems to be a sticking point and I guess some people need to have borders and perameters...(shrug)  Besides, it is probably near impossible to find as complete as this so do your self a favor and spare yourself the frustration. :ohnoez:

How about an EC FanAddict kit? How do you feel about those? Now, they have the logo!