• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many of you think the hobby is 'dying'???

58 posts in this topic

I don't expect any avg comic collector in their late 20s or early 30s to drop $20k on cgc ASM 1, AF 15, Showcase 4 or FF 1 just so they can put it away in a safety deposit box. For $20k, ppl want conspicous consumption: a BMW, grin.gif Lexus or SUV they can drive around in w/ pride.

So with such a pessimistic view, don't you think you (and everyone) ought to stop collecting comics? Better get started on predicting/creating the next "hot trend" so you can reap the bucks. That is if the world doesn't end tomorrow in a sea of fire and devilspawn belching forth from the sky. The more I read of your posts the more I'm likely to believe that's your only mindset.

On the other hand, if you're a happy, basically positive person, you might not really care about whether comics increase or decrease in value, given that you don't keep all your eggs in one basket and if prices were to crash - then that many more comics you'd be able to afford, from distressed sellers. If you keep in mind collecting for enjoyment - and not focus on the dollar signs - all works out well.

Just please, please be sure not to let anyone in on the kind of comics I collect - with their universal appeal and wonderful art and story - that don't depend on your having experienced them first-hand as a kid to enjoy and appreciate them now - that are thoroughly reprinted today (keeping them in the eyes of those who didn't see them first time around) - which sort of gets people interested in having one or two of the originals - around which movies, video games, and a well-known cable TV show were all based. Again, due to the universal appeal of their theme.

Please, please don't let anymore people know about what I collect (if they don't know already) - I don't need the competition as I work on my set! laugh.gif

Please, please don't let anymore people know about what I collect (if they don't know already) - I don't need the competition as I work on my set!

I think you're pretty safe, as the kids today don't give a rat's butt about any comic. The concept is pretty clear, times have changed drastically since I was a kid, and comic collecting will go the way of the dinosaur.

It pains me to say that (as I love the hobby) but I'm not going put on blinders and go skipping along thinking that these Tony Hawke-lovin, Playstation 2-playing, Pokeman card-hoarding kids are going to grow up and suddenly discover the joy of comics at the age of 28.

That's pure fantasy and I like the real world, thank you very much.

So . . . if you enjoy the real world that much, I can only say you really ought to give up collecting comics. It's obviously torturous for you, watching this patient you love, slipping away so forlornly . . . better rip the cord out of the wall socket, step out into the sun and collect (if you must, most collectors have that in 'em) whatever's POPULAR at the moment. Don't listen to your own sense of enjoyment, rather, try to see what other people are enjoying collecting. No, scratch that, what WILL they enjoy collecting? Worry that you may not have guessed right! Prepare a spreadsheet that can predict what they'll want 5, 10 years from now! Remember, don't enjoy, worry and complain! For god's sake, if you're there god, AM I COLLECTING THE 'RIGHT' THINGS?

Better get out and start chasing that horse, the real world is cruel and waits for no one!

Now, I'm off to enjoy my version of reality. Shut down the computer, get up, get a swig of milk (and maybe a cookie) and then read a page or two of essential Captain America (for some reason I like the Kirby art.)

I know it's not exactly Nero fiddling whilst Rome's a-burnin', but damnit, it's the best I can do.

G'nite! laugh.gif

Nice sermon, but my statements had absolutely nothing to do with conformity or trying to fit my own personal collecting to future trends. I collect comics, but by the same token, I'm a realist and even though collecting comics gives me satisfaction, I wonder if it's sane to keep pumping more and more money into a hobby that will probably go down the drain within a decade or two.

I don't look to profit from my comic buying, but only a fool sinks thousands of dollars into any collection and expects it to have zero resale value in 10 years. I'd certainly keep what I already have and enjoy it, but I'm becoming quite hesitant with these outlandish CGC prices, to continue buying when I know full well that I'm tossing money out the window in support of the hobby.

Those are tough questions that I'll have to answer myself, and it's just a case of how much money I'm prepared to lose long-term to support my comic collecting hobby short-term.

"Those are tough questions that I'll have to answer myself, and it's just a case of how much money I'm prepared to lose long-term to support my comic collecting hobby short-term."

........thats the way to look at it i think, i collect comics because i enjoy it............but of course i would like to think that, if i had to, i could sell my collection for something................. grin.gif

.....i don't expect to profit from collecting comics, but in the back of my mind i'm always thinking about whether the books i buy will at least HOLD their value...........

............but, at the end of the day, they may not, so the trick is to spend only what you can afford to loose,the satisfaction should come from ownership not future return.......... just like most other forms of material consuption (cars for example loose their value rapidly)

.......if your collecting reaches a point where you are sinking all your spare cash into it, then its time to worry................. shocked.gif

>>....but, at the end of the day, they may not, so the trick is to spend only what you can afford

to loose, the satisfaction should come from ownership not future return

That's how I look at it as well. I treat my comic purchases as consumption, not investment, and

spend far below my means. Lately, I have been spending less than ever on CGC books - just look

outside your window or read the business section of your paper...evidence is mounting that the

world economy is in the initial stages of a deflationary price spiral. First the "experts" said it was

impossible...now they are saying it is possible but unlikely...next they'll say it's happening but will

be short-lived (yeah, right). Not the environment in which you want to be "investing" in funny books

at ridiculous multiples of guide.

If you want to get in front of a trend before it happens, here's my advice to you: the price of just

about everything, including CGC books, will be lower 3 years from now. Stocks, real estate, collectibles,

consumer goods, you name it. If you are holding any hot CGC comic books solely for investment purposes,

I would bail out now while the getting is still somewhat good. I think that even the "top shelf" 9.8s, etc.

will eventually succumb to the general price declines, much as the price for top art pieces plummeted

after Japan's stock market bubble burst in 1990. confused.gif

Gene

evidence is mounting that the

world economy is in the initial stages of a deflationary price spiral. First the "experts" said it was

impossible...now they are saying it is possible but unlikely...next they'll say it's happening but will

be short-lived (yeah, right). Not the environment in which you want to be "investing" in funny books

at ridiculous multiples of guide.

It may not be a good environment to invest in any commodities.... I'm not seeing a ton of options for my investible money right now. frown.gif

At least the comics are enjoyable...

I don't agree that kids don't have the money for comics. Just today at a local comic book store, I saw about 40 kids plunking down $20 for Heroclix......

Believe it or not, the movies really do spark some new readership with kids. If they're playing Heroclix, its only a matter of time before they start buying comics to read about the "unique" Spiderman figure they keep winning tournaments with.

There's a great opportunity coming up to get kids interested. Give out comics at Halloween. Be generous, give a couple titles to each -- things they might be interested in. Heck, let them choose which ones. I've done it in the past and kids go crazy for it. They get tons of candy, and it's soon gone, but a comic is forever.

-- Joanna

"There's a great opportunity coming up to get kids interested. Give out comics at Halloween."

.........thats a great idea, i'm sure gonna do it................now lets see, where did i put those extra copies or werewolf by night........... shocked.gif

Funny you mentioned giving comics to the Trick or Treaters. A couple of years back I bought a bunch of mini Marvel comics, I think it was called Marvel Treats. There were something like four different mini comics, maybe five sets in a pack. Well I gave these out to the kids and they seems pretty happy with them. I remember one little kid showed his friend saying; "Look I got Spider-Man!" His friend looked disappointed cause he got Care Bears. So I gave him a Captain America and that cheered him up. I was surprised he knew who Captain America was. If Marvel or whatever comic company ever does these mini's again, they should stick with popular characters that the kids would know. But I'm sure the kids see on TV a lot of the comics superheroes off of NICK or the TOON channels. I wonder how the cartoon shows affect the comic industry as far as collecting.

When was the last time you took a kid to a comic book store or better yet a coimic book convention?

I believe a majority of the posters on this forum are not allowed to be within 50 yards of a minor....you'll have to check your favorite local neighborhood website on this one. If I was a parent, I wouldn't want a balding, fat middle-aged male taking my children to a comic convention...I wouldn't want them taking them anywhere for that matter; maybe that's just the profiler in me talking wink.gif

I have given kids' comics to my wife's school (can you say tax write-off? CHA-CHING!) The problem with introducing children (that are not yours) to comics is the content. Making sure that there is no violence or swear words, or mature adult content, (like the Jean Grey-Emma Frost-Scott Summers impending menage-a-party about to take place) in the books you show children is becoming more and more difficult. The books I give away are Star Comics (Alf, Heathcliff, Garfield, smurfs, Care Bears) or Richie Rich and Archie. If only some of you guys can give your Valiants away tongue.gif

A couple of years back I bought a bunch of mini Marvel comics, I think it was called Marvel Treats. There were something like four different mini comics, maybe five sets in a pack.

That was you...I want to trade in my Care Bears mini book!!! wink.gif

I know what you are referring to. The wheels are turning...I see slabbed mini Marvel Treats in the next prescreen!

I think you're right...I don't have kids, but if I did and they went to his door and he handed them some of those DC Love comics with a big grin on his face, I'd DEFINITELY have to run in there and kick his . mad.gif