• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Insert clever title here...) CLOSED
3 3

192 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I bet if he posted up a key book at a discounted price there would be people grabbing their wallets.  Golden Age age and keys seem to be the main selling books right now.

Even Life with Archie #42 at 15% discount? It's a key issue. How come did they pass or overlook it?  My current thread has over 1800+ views.  I have few books with Frazetta, Matt Baker and Neal Adams art. I never have a bad experience before.

Edited by JollyComics

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Probably a discussion that should be moved to the general section so we don't interrupt his sales thread.

No its great!! It also keeps me around on the first page! More to come tonight. And PLEASE dont think i was complaining! I know its rough around here sometimes so it’s Expected.

Till later tonight have a great day and @1Cool @JollyComics @Grantley Goddard @Patriot6 @Cliff R. You can have 30% off anything listed till 9pm cst tonight.

Is this the Raze that was at the Old Bridge show yesterday?

BTW I had a mixed ages sales thread last week and it did very well and then on Wednesday it just died, silence and nothing I could do generated any more interest. So it isn't the books here Raze I just think people are not around as much since the holiday or aren't buying for some reason.

Edited by Bird

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

BTW I had a mixed ages sales thread last week and it did very well and then on Wednesday it just died, silence and nothing I could do generated any more interest. So it isn't the books here Raze I just think people are not around as much since the holiday or aren't buying for some reason.

There is also to say that compared to the old boards, the new ones have seen a downward spike in participation.
I’m sure the motives are varied (mine was just that I basically stopped buying comics during 2018).
But then, all the hype generated by the movies while on one side it fosters a bit of interest, on the other hand does not help to form a critically conscious new generation of collectors which would buy the books because they learn to know, appreciate and love the stories and the characters (I’m thinking especially of the Marvel age, but this could apply to a lesser degree to other comics). The decline of serious and good comics criticism in paper magazines/fanzines also did not help. There is some good online criticism on sites and blogs but one has to educate himself on where to find it.

Good luck with the sale, Raze! :sumo:

7 minutes ago, vaillant said:

There is also to say that compared to the old boards, the new ones have seen a downward spike in participation.
I’m sure the motives are varied (mine was just that I basically stopped buying comics during 2018).
But then, all the hype generated by the movies while on one side it fosters a bit of interest, on the other hand does not help to form a critically conscious new generation of collectors which would buy the books because they learn to know, appreciate and love the stories and the characters (I’m thinking especially of the Marvel age, but this could apply to a lesser degree to other comics). The decline of serious and good comics criticism in paper magazines/fanzines also did not help. There is some good online criticism on sites and blogs but one has to educate himself on where to find it.

Good luck with the sale, Raze! :sumo:

I don't think participation is down (well maybe a bit) but people's expectation with the boards has changed since the switch.  The number of people looking for flipping opportunities has exploded and it is becoming more and more rare to see people who are solely collectors on the boards.  When everyone is looking at comics as an investment or a part time business then there is really not a lot of reasons to discuss books since it's all profits and deals.  And those that are strictly collectors seem to be the old timers and they appear to be congregating in the Golden Age section and they are very selective in what books they collect. 

There use to always be guys like BronzeAgeJunkie who where looking to buy huge chunks of books to fill sets and these guys are just not around any longer.  Maybe the new collectors are using Facebook and Instagram since they are familiar with it but all I know is the boards are definitely not the go to sales venue for a lot of people like it use to be.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

When everyone is looking at comics as an investment or a part time business then there is really not a lot of reasons to discuss books since it's all profits and deals.

Well, I agree but that’s downright bad. And it’s not like because many people speculate a bit or sell as well as buy that one should disregard the objective (non-monetary) value of comics.
Personally I’d cherish to see more discussion on the comics side, together with the speculative ones. Even in the sales thread is great, for example, when one shows inside pictures of less known books.
Also, as participation goes, I see a lot less participation compared to when I joined in 2012, and I witnessed this since the new boards went online.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! A lot of great points. I mostly buy books to read, but MY focus is EC titles i have over 150 and some PCH when i. An fit them in between my EC books.

I was hoping with reasonable prices and fun books Id make some cash for C2E2 2019!!  It’s my favorite show and since I St. Louis having a C2E2 and Kansas City planet, con next year we  back to back weekends it’s going to be a fun time and I’d like to have some extra money for it.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Is this the Raze that was at the Old Bridge show yesterday?

Another “Raze” I think not 😂 I did go to a show here in st louis!