• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there reputable dealers to sell to?

46 posts in this topic

Am looking to liquidate my modern collection and certainly having a hard time to getting people to buy here on this site and ebay takes a premium with the listing.  Are there reputable dealers that I should look at to sell my books to?  I've tried the local CS shops here and they lack the funds to buy outright or they want 50%off GPA pricing....  appreciate the help.

There are plenty of reputable dealers here. The question is do they want to buy what you're selling at the price you want? This is the age old question. Although I'm not a dealer I've heard this lament from collectors for many years. They say - "I have a collection that I want to sell but dealers will only give me XX% of FMV." I suspect your asking price is more than most dealers will want to pay.

Edited by Jerkfro

7 minutes ago, JLam1127 said:

Am looking to liquidate my modern collection and certainly having a hard time to getting people to buy here on this site and ebay takes a premium with the listing.  Are there reputable dealers that I should look at to sell my books to?  I've tried the local CS shops here and they lack the funds to buy outright or they want 50%off GPA pricing....  appreciate the help.

If you want to sell to dealers they are not going to pay 100% gpa as they want to sell those things as well. Some dealers might give you 70% on major keys but I don't think that you will get more than that and in most cases not even that much.

6 minutes ago, JLam1127 said:

If I was going to go by GPA, the current value of these books are at 7700K.... as I understand that dealers are looking to buy and sell, (rightfully so) I was going sell them for a 40% discount off the GPA current price...

how many books is that if you don't mind me asking? 

It's 24 slabs... all CGC... 9.8s, some SS, and 1 9.6 (Wolverine Origins #10 Third Claw Variant)... They are all moderns....

With 2 kids in grade school, activities, sports, and running a business it's really tough to focus on the books.... priorities shifted for the better.  Below is the list:

-NYX #4  CGC 9.8  

-Cable and X-Force #1  Deodato Variant (RARE) CGC 9.8 

-Uncanny X-Force #1 Liefeld Variant (RARE) CGC 9.8   

-Wolverine Origins #10 Third Claw Variant 9.6 CGC  

-Deadpool:  Back in Black #1 CGC 9.8    

-Old Man Logan #25 Deodato Sketch Cover CGC 9.

-Old Man Logan #25 Virgin Edition  CGC 9.8 

-Deadpool Kills Marvel Universe Again #1 Kirkham Variant CGC 9.8 Signature Series Bunn & Kirkham 

-Venomverse #1 SS Unknown Variant Virgin CGC 9.8  Sketch and Signed by Checchetto  numbered 2 out of 8 

-Venomverse #1 SS Convention Variant CGC Sig Series 9.8 Mattina 

-Cable #25 Cover Swipe Variant Edition CGC 9.8 

-Death of Wolverine #1 Gamestop Edition CGC 9.8 Sig Series Stan Lee   

-Harley Quinn #1 CGC 9.8 Sig Series Amanda Conner. Jimmy Palmiotti & Philip Tan   

-Spawn #265 Gold Sketch Edition CGC 9.8 Signed and Sketched Clayton Crain , signed by Todd McFarlane   

-Do you Pooh (Back to Pooh) Chromium Edition CGC 9.8 SS Kirkham & Marat (numbered #2 of 25) 

-Venom #150 Kubert Variant Cover CGC 9.8  

-ASM: Renew Your Vows #13 Unknown Comics Edition D CGC 9.8 Sig Series J. Scott Campbell  

-SpiderGwen #25 Unknown Comics Edition C CGC 9.8 Sig Series Ed McGuiness  

-Deadpool #1 11/08  CGC 9.8 Sig Series Crain, Liefeld, Nicieza, & Stan Lee  

-Justice League of America #10 Convention Edition CGC 9.8 Sig Series Cavill, Fisher, Gadot, & Mamoa  

-Venomverse #1 Remastered Sketch Edition (1:2000) CGC 9.8 Sig Series Stan Lee   

-Punisher #218 TV Variant CGC 9.8 Sig Series Sketch and Signed Jon Bernthal  

-Punisher #14 Sniper Cover CGC 9.8 Sig Series Signed & Sketch by Gerry Conway, Signed by John Romita, Signed "One Batch Two Batch Penny & Dime" by Jon Bernthal  

-Spawn #280 Mattina Virgin Edition (limited to 666) CGC 9.8 Sig Series Signed and Sketch by Mattina, signed by McFarlan

And you can't get a quick 2/3 of GPA selling them here or do you not want to deal with 20 individual sales?

(I have no idea what these books are worth, but if there are bonafide GPA numbers, I guess that should matter...or are they numbers for one sale? The sig series books might not have much data.)

1 minute ago, the blob said:

"NYX #4  CGC 9.8"

Seems like a book you could easily get $210-$230 for on ebay, why sell it to a dealer for 40% off?

It was on ebay for 200 and no takers so I just dropped it to 175.00 on here....  it's been slow with moderns (probably as expected), so it might be better for me to dump the whole lot as a fire sale and eat my losses....

I see some books in that list that should be easy sales (especially the Stan Lee SS books) if you list them here at perhaps 10-15% below full market value.

Otherwise, send the stack to MyComicShop and let them do all the work and take their 10%. I regularly realize prices on MCS that are MUCH higher than selling on the boards.

1 hour ago, JLam1127 said:

It was on ebay for 200 and no takers so I just dropped it to 175.00 on here....  it's been slow with moderns (probably as expected), so it might be better for me to dump the whole lot as a fire sale and eat my losses....

Just looking at recent sales, they seem to be selling for others.

1 hour ago, JLam1127 said:

I'll take a look at MyComicShop..... thank you

My comic shop is a good option.  They get good results and their fees are very fair.  

If you list them on eBay you’ll pay around 15% auction and PayPal fees and you’ll have to do the work and deal with possible lost books or returns.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Just looking at recent sales, they seem to be selling for others.

With that said, you seem to have a group of sufficiently valuable books for which there are likely buyers out there, but not necessarily all checking things on ebay in a given week among those willing to pay the right price. mycomicshop is probably a good place to stick them, price them where you feel comfortable, and wait it out, unless you need cash quick. price them at 10-15% below GPA if need be. the only problem with MCS is that there is no best offer option, so if you have  a buyer, but your price is high, but you would negotiate, you may never find that buyer.