• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams Batman and Detective run questions

27 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about putting together runs of Neal's interior work for the two titles in raw reader/mid grade, and was curious on what approximate costs should be.

I know there's some pretty high dollar books in there, but any info would be great.   Which run is better?  Which is cheaper?   Is it worth it?

Thanks!

395 and 411 can be pricey too :foryou:

Depending on grade, 395 is just seldom available or at least on ebay...and not many for sale...

35 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

They're both superb runs of comics.  The last time I checked (a long time ago), the pricey ones are Bats 232 & 251 and 'Tec 400...

I wasn't aware of #400, I'll check that out, thanks! 

395 and 411 can be pricey too :foryou:

Depending on grade, 395 is just seldom available or at least on ebay...and not many for sale...

38 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

They're both superb runs of comics.  The last time I checked (a long time ago), the pricey ones are Bats 232 & 251 and 'Tec 400...

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Tec #400 = 1st Manbat.

The more expensive books in the runs from a high grade perspective are:

Batman #217 (HTF in high grade), 222 (Beatles swipe), 227 (classic Tec 31 swipe), 232 (1st Ras Al Ghul), 234 (1st BA Two-Face), 243 (black cover), 244 (classic nipples & bat-undies cover), 251 (classic Joker cover)

Tec #395 (1st Adams interiors), 400 (1st Manbat), 402 (green Manbat cover is tough in high grade), 405 (1st league of assassins), 411 (1st Talia)

From a story perspective, the Tec #411/Batman #232,235,240,243-44 Ras Al Ghul story line is the best read IMHO. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

I've been thinking about putting together runs of Neal's interior work for the two titles in raw reader/mid grade, and was curious on what approximate costs should be.

I know there's some pretty high dollar books in there, but any info would be great.   Which run is better?  Which is cheaper?   Is it worth it?

Thanks!

I think if you're going to collect Batman, you really should collect Detective as well since they're essentially 1 and 1a.  I think I might have [conservatively speaking], spent close to 20k+/- over the course of 4-5 years to complete my run.  Bear in mind, I collected Batman, Brave/Bold, Detective, World's Finest, and select issues of JLA.  Essentially, I collected all the Adams Batman  covers as well as the interior art, and I went for both slab and raw copies, in some cases, duplicates.  If you're only going for interior art, it shouldn't be too bad as there are only 32 books in total, 17 books if you only count the Detective and Batman title.  The only books I completed excluded are the recent Odyssey issues from a few years back and any of the modern homages that Adams drew recently.  These are not part of the original run.

Speaking for myself, I grew up with this run so it was a very fulfilling goal for me to complete it.  Even more so than my Smith Conan or Miller DD runs.   

The only books you need from the B&B run are really #79 (1st Adams issue), #85 (1st new Green Arrow - pricey in high grade) and maybe #93 (classic HOS cover - this is one of my personal favorites so I am biased a bit).

Thanks everyone, I forgot all about the brave and the bold stuff.

I’m totally into detective or batman, makes no dif to me.  I just like the color/feel of the old paper, not reprints.

I was surprised Adams only did 17 interiors and they don’t even seem to be full issue length.  I guess for such a legendary run/artist character combo I expected more.  More of a cover guy I guess.  I wish he did more at marvel back in the day.

At first glance Mid grade run looks like...  1k for 17 issues.  

Batman $500-800

Tec $250-$400 ish

Pretty popular run.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:15 PM, kimik said:

It is definitely a popular run. I know a lot of Marvel collectors that have the BA Adams Batman, Tec and GL runs. His artwork transcends the company divide (and it helps he did some nice work for Avengers and X-Men as well). 

I love the GL run.  My favorite cover is this one.  I love how the indians are all sitting indian style.  Definitely from the pre-politcal correctness era.  My LCS has one and I'm thinking about getting it even though I already have a copy.

79-1.jpg

Edited by Von Cichlid

On 11/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, kimik said:

It is definitely a popular run. I know a lot of Marvel collectors that have the BA Adams Batman, Tec and GL runs. His artwork transcends the company divide (and it helps he did some nice work for Avengers and X-Men as well). 

+1

Definitely an understatement when it came to his superb work on the Avengers.  :luhv:

I still remember when his Avengers 93 was one of the highest price BA books out there and one of the must have keys out there.  Unfortunately, not so much the case anymore as it has for some strange reason fallen way down on the valuation chart when it comes to BA books.  :frown:

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Definitely an understatement when it came to his superb work on the Avengers.  :luhv:

I still remember when his Avengers 93 was one of the highest price BA books out there and one of the must have keys out there.  Unfortunately, not so much the case anymore as it has for some strange reason fallen way down on the valuation chart when it comes to BA books.  :frown:

The Kree-Skrull War was legendary when I first started collecting in the later 70s.  Before anyone was talking about "story arcs," because everyone was a completest or artist collector back then, Kree-Skrull War was a story arc collected in its whole for the story, as the first half was not Adams art.   But all Thomas-Adams books got a premium.

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

It's still highly valued, going for $2,000 in 9.6.  A 9.8 copy would easily fetch over $10K, as there's only one in the current census.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

The Kree-Skrull War was legendary when I first started collecting in the later 70s.  Before anyone was talking about "story arcs," because everyone was a completest or artist collector back then, Kree-Skrull War was a story arc collected in its whole for the story, as the first half was not Adams art.   But all Thomas-Adams books got a premium.

That run will rise again someday. I can't imagine with Marvel introducing Skrulls and the Kree in the movies that this won't come together down the road.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:07 AM, lou_fine said:

+1

Avengers 93 is still super tough to find a high grade raw copy, and 9.4+ slabs are over $1K, but I agree that this isn't looked at as a bronze key in the general sense.  Among Adams collectors, this book is still highly coveted though.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, lou_fine said:

+1

It may have been a "superb start" on THE AVENGERS, but he didn't *finish* it...

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, Von Cichlid said:

I love the GL run.  My favorite cover is this one.  I love how the indians are all sitting indian style.  Definitely from the pre-politcal correctness era.  My LCS has one and I'm thinking about getting it even though I already have a copy.

79-1.jpg

WTF is "political correctness"?

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, mrlatko said:

Avengers 93 is still super tough to find a high grade raw copy, and 9.4+ slabs are over $1K, but I agree that this isn't looked at as a bronze key in the general sense.  Among Adams collectors, this book is still highly coveted though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-93-VF-NM-9-0-NEAL-ADAMS-ART-52-pg-GIANT-SIZE-1971-Iron-Man-Thor-v-FF/223008128220?epid=85394234&hash=item33ec51fcdc:rk:1:pf:0