• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams Batman and Detective run questions

27 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

And really-WHO sets the price on "slabs"?

Is it CGC?

Nope!

It's all of the greedy bums out there that think that ONE book is going to float them blissfully into retirement.

Call me old fashioned, but I have no use for slabs, especially since I read one time that the "specially filtrated paper" has to be changed out once every decade.

Of course though, it's probably the SAME people who said at one time that each of our books, stored in polypropylene bags, had to changed out in the same interval!

You know what?  I have books from 40+ YEARS ago that are still stored in manila file folders and they are as fresh and new as the day I picked them up!

And NOT stored in "acid free boxes" either! And certainly NOT stored vertically, as is the case with the acid free boxes because my young choices led me to store my comics HORIZONTALLY, a method that has only recently caught on, but for me, back in the 70's it was my ONLY CHOICE!

The BODY of a comic book is much more flexible than the SPINE, so therefore, by extension, it makes sense to store books with the spine on the horizon!

DSCN7071p.JPG

DSCN7074p.JPG

DSCN7085.JPG

6 hours ago, skyy38 said:

WTF is "political correctness"?

I was referencing how in the current political climate that it is unlikely that we would see a cover with a hero referring to Native Americans as redskins.  You know with the drama about the NFL team changing their name and all that.

I apologize if I offended you.  Please find a safe-space, a puppy to pet, and page to color immediately.  

I don't see what's 'political' about racism, other than the kinds that are institutionalized, but that's certainly for another discussion and place.

Here is my favorite Adams cover on his brief but epic GL run.  Really dynamic.  For his interior work, I especially love his handful of Detective issues for their out-of-the-panel creativity.

GL81sale.JPG.fde678f4ec0022da48f0f587a77df202.JPG

Edited by namisgr

8 hours ago, skyy38 said:

I believe that copy will continue to get discounted and remain unsold unless the seller gets lucky.  Doesn't appear to be anywhere near a 9.0 from the photos.

11 hours ago, mrlatko said:

I believe that copy will continue to get discounted and remain unsold unless the seller gets lucky.  Doesn't appear to be anywhere near a 9.0 from the photos.

This book has a "Make Offer'' bar. I have made lowball offers and the seller has accepted before. Sometimes they price them high hoping your lowball offer will still be more than the book is worth.

There's a guy asking $13k for an HOS #92 9.0 sig series. I offered $3k and he said the least he would take is $7k. Still outrageous, but it illustrates how far someone will come down sometimes.