• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC collecting questions

25 posts in this topic

Good evening everyone!!!

I am super new to getting books graded and I am looking into the best way to find value for my books. I have heard of a few different places to find the value or worth of graded books. I just wanted to get some opinions of people on the forum on what they use, what features they like, and how often they use it? Do you use it to sell books or just to know the value of your collection? Thank you and happy collecting!!!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Jay1721 said:

Is this what most people use??? Is what you two use and how do you like it?

this is the most common and complete (though by no means perfect) 'price guide' for slabbed comics.  It is a service that has a fee.  You should google it for more info.

Of course, there are other options, you can collect your own data from completed sales from various other websites and dealers and do your own analysis, but everyone has different preferences.

Its the most popular by far to use this service, to the point where it's barely worth discussing anything else (although for a free easy ballpark value, you can look at ebay completed sales)

On 11/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, revat said:

this is the most common and complete (though by no means perfect) 'price guide' for slabbed comics.  It is a service that has a fee.  You should google it for more info.

Of course, there are other options, you can collect your own data from completed sales from various other websites and dealers and do your own analysis, but everyone has different preferences.

Its the most popular by far to use this service, to the point where it's barely worth discussing anything else (although for a free easy ballpark value, you can look at ebay completed sales)

So I just checked it out and it does not work very well. It is such a confusing and clunky UI. It has no descriptions and half the books I searched did not show up. It seemed like a letdown.

9 hours ago, Jay1721 said:

So I just checked it out and it does not work very well. It is such a confusing and clunky UI. It has no descriptions and half the books I searched did not show up. It seemed like a letdown.

What do you need descriptions of..?

GPAnalysis is, by far, the best service for evaluating encapsulated comic books.

It's the best service,  by far, but I understand where he's coming from.  it's a bit clunky and some of the stuff is tough to find (when you first start using it).  It gets easier once you've familiarized yourself with best ways to search.  It's still a lot better than the search function here.  lol

6 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

It's the best service,  by far, but I understand where he's coming from.  it's a bit clunky and some of the stuff is tough to find (when you first start using it).  It gets easier once you've familiarized yourself with best ways to search.  It's still a lot better than the search function here.  lol

It's the best available data in one location but the delivery aspect is very old technology. 

6 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It may be the best but it is outdated. I could not find half the books I was looking for. It would just show the first issue and nothing else. It just seems like it could be more organized than it is. I am not sure if I will go back to it. It was a little off-putting. I also did not play around with it that much.

1 hour ago, Jay1721 said:

It may be the best but it is outdated. I could not find half the books I was looking for. It would just show the first issue and nothing else. It just seems like it could be more organized than it is. I am not sure if I will go back to it. It was a little off-putting. I also did not play around with it that much.

Agree with others, GPA is the market standard (for popular books, quoting "90-day GPA" is pretty much the starting point). But it definitely has a very old, clunky interface which is in need of a big UI overhaul.

After you search for a title, the hard part is finding which volume your book was from. For example, if you search for "X-Men", you'll get 100s of results. If you're looking for the original series (what became "Uncanny X-men"), you have to click on "X-Men, The (1963-1981)". Then, that only goes until #141, because after that the title is officially "Uncanny X-Men, The (1981)"... For your popular titles, once you find the right one, you should "Add this Title to My Titles" so you can easily access it again without having to re-search. 

If you only saw a #1, most likely, you had the wrong volume of the book, and you need to click a different one. Remember, the (year) in parens is the year the volume started, not the year your book came out. Sometimes, if I'm having trouble, I'll use the CGC Census to help find the book / right volume. 

If your'e sure you have the right volume, and your issue # isn't there, then that means there've been no graded sales for that issue in any of the venues that GPA tracks. 

6 hours ago, Reece Markidis said:

comics.gocollect.com 

This site has GPA, not sure how reliable it is but you can view basic charts and price average for free, you can subscribe for more detailed info too. Think its $6 a month.

Does anyone know if this site is reliable? 

What do you mean "this site has GPA"?

18 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It's the best service,  by far, but I understand where he's coming from.  it's a bit clunky and some of the stuff is tough to find (when you first start using it). 

I just searched "Iron Man" the other day... no results. LOL Searched "Invincible" and it came up. :screwy:

wow didnt even consider there are people out there that only collect "Slabbed" comics, But I guess it makes a lot sense...

but I do have a question now...

How many long boxes would it take to hold a complete set?

like for example, I dont have any CGC/Slabbed books, but I can fit 1 to 263 of my amazing Spiderman set into 1 long box....

If someone was had or was putting together a set of Amazing Spider-Man, how many Slabbed/CGC graded comics fit into 1 long box?

does anyone out there have like a complete collection of Amazing Spiderman with only Slabbed/CGC issues....If so how many long boxes does it take to hold the collection?

On 12/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, Jay1721 said:

Works fine once you understand the UI but yes a bit clunky.  If you include the year a book was published in the search box in addition to the title of the book you get better results.  i.e. Fantastic four 1961

Can you give an example of books that did not show up?

7 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

wow didnt even consider there are people out there that only collect "Slabbed" comics, But I guess it makes a lot sense...

like for example, I dont have any CGC/Slabbed books, but I can fit 1 to 263 of my amazing Spiderman set into 1 long box....

If someone was had or was putting together a set of Amazing Spider-Man, how many Slabbed/CGC graded comics fit into 1 long box?

does anyone out there have like a complete collection of Amazing Spiderman with only Slabbed/CGC issues....If so how many long boxes does it take to hold the collection?

I haven't seen any long boxes that are wide enough to fit slabbed books.  Can get about 25 slabbed books in a short box

6 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

There's a sale on hotflips cgc boxes here for slabbed books. Each hold give or take around 34 slabbed books

HOTFLIPS  <<<--------

And no I dont work for them or get paid for endorsing their products :grin:

12 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I haven't seen any long boxes that are wide enough to fit slabbed books.  Can get about 25 slabbed books in a short box

I get about 28 current generation slabs per magazine-sized short box if you collect silver age and newer books. If you collect golden age books (which are often thicker due to number of pages), you may only get 24 or so. 

Short boxes are preferred by many *cough* mature collectors as they are plenty heavy. There's some great pics in the Comic General section on Show us you Comic Book Rooms that will show a lot of other options for storage.

You can figure out how many boxes you need with a little math from there based on the number of books in the series.

Some collectors buy slabbed books for the restoration verification & grading and then crack them out and store them in mylar & backing boards. They store the CGC label with the book for future reference. This way, they can maximize box space with verified copies and still have a highly preserved & presentable product.

Good luck!

-bc

On 12/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, thehumantorch said:

Works fine once you understand the UI but yes a bit clunky.  If you include the year a book was published in the search box in addition to the title of the book you get better results.  i.e. Fantastic four 1961

Can you give an example of books that did not show up?

I was searching for an Uncanny X-Men book. Someone above sort of explained the process of doing it. It still did not really show up as it should. I may go back to it eventually but for right now, I am searching for other options.