• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
1 1

109 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I have too many interests.  I also have vintage lead toy soldiers, and tiki mugs.  And some Sun Record 45's.  And an old car.  Someday I will sell it all, and get a tiny house, and go all Walden on everyone. 

Quitter.

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Every year I tell myself I’m going to start collecting vinyl but end up using the extra cash for comics instead. I only have one: Tool - Lateralus which I basically bought for the gorgeous design. And it’s my favorite album. I love looking through my local shops collection. Would love to buy more underground punk albums. 

When my daughter was in high school she came one day and told me she was going to see a poet that night. I asked who and she said Henry Rollins. I asked her, isn't he the lead singer for Black Flag? She asked me how I knew that? I showed her where my punk records were. She was astonished that I listened to that stuff. I told her I used to have a lot more fun before she came along and spoiled it.  :roflmao:

I still have most of those records (other than the ones she swiped)...

I've still got all my stuff/vinyl from the 70s/80s.  When I would buy an album, I would record it on cassette, so many of them are run through the stylus once.

My oldest son went on a vinyl craze a few years ago, and just didn't seem to understand that I don't really need a turntable, because I have it all on cassette..., and in my best comic collector mode..., "I don't need to wear the vinyl out....,"

I also recorded a lot of my brothers' albums too - they are 7 and 11 years older.  So got lots of Black Sabbath, Pretty Things, etc., from when music was really good.

Just now, oakman29 said:

Even though I love all things Beatles, Rubber Soul and Revolver have to be my favorite time period for their music.

Yeah, the Beatles had a few good songs.  Not many, mind you..., but a few.

Just now, oakman29 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

:roflmao:

I'm serious, Bug Boy.  :sumo: 

Just now, oakman29 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm serious, Bug Boy.  :sumo: 

I trap lizards for fun, lizard lips.:taptaptap:

Penny Lane comes to mind.  Drawing a blank after that.

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Penny Lane comes to mind.  Drawing a blank after that.

You've got to be kidding me....:eyeroll:

zzz 

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This is an outstanding book on collecting rare 78s. Makes collecting comics seem like child's play. I couldn't put it down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/books/do-not-sell-at-any-price-and-dust-grooves.html

One of the great afficianados of collecting 78s  is of course Robert Crumb, who as you probably know can be heard regularly as a guest on John's Old Time Radio Show podcast.

http://www.eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/

Crumb also did some specials for BBC Radio 3 " Sweet Shellac", 4 parts. all of which can still be heard over at YouTube.

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

You do have to be careful with new vinyl, as they can use later digital remasters rather than the original analogue.

And, remaster doesn't always mean better.

Amen. 

They usually ruin everything with compression, so it sounds no better than many of the other un-listenable albums being released today. 

I will NOT buy remastered discs. 

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I'm a music maniac. I've been playing music, making records, and touring for years. 

Not a popular opinion, but I find the Beatles horribly overrated. I just don't enjoy their vibe at all. 

I do enjoy Sgt. Pepper though. Close as they came to grabbing my heart. 

Once again, I know this is blasphemous, but I will usually do a hard pass on their music. 

I sold my vinyl collection back when the wife and I bought our house, as I wanted some extra cash to set up the basement the way I wanted, and I also didn't really want to move all of those heavy records. I justified it by saying that I already had all of the music in digital form anyway, so I didn't need to keep the records themselves.

I was satisfied with this until a couple of years ago, when I got the itch, mostly due to Mondo's beautiful soundtracks. I picked up a couple just to have as a curiosity, but that was all it took the set things off. I got a new turntable and the addiction took hold again. Records are like candy, so sweet and pretty. It's dangerous stuff.

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm a music maniac. I've been playing music, making records, and touring for years. 

Not a popular opinion, but I find the Beatles horribly overrated. I just don't enjoy their vibe at all. 

I do enjoy Sgt. Pepper though. Close as they came to grabbing my heart. 

Once again, I know this is blasphemous, but I will usually do a hard pass on their music. 

Not a Beatles guy either. The only Beatles stuff I have much use for is the early bubblegum pop stuff. My mom was a teen when the Beatles hit, so she was fully vested in that time period, and still had the 45's and stuff. So I grew up playing those, and still enjoy a lot of that stuff. And to be completely fair, there are a handful of later Beatles songs that I like well enough. But for the most part, they just don't grab me. And I think Sgt Peppers is the most overrated record in the history of pop music. So, I'll be your fellow blasphemer!

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Believe it or not, Wu-Tang Clan's, "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin", only one copy released in 2015, is the AF 15 of the record world. As it's #1, at 2.1 million dollars, more like the Action 1 of the record world!

Wu.jpg

A listing for those that want to know the rest of the most valuable vinyls ever...

Most Valuable Vinyls

:whistle: