• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
1 1

109 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
24 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm a music maniac. I've been playing music, making records, and touring for years. 

Not a popular opinion, but I find the Beatles horribly overrated. I just don't enjoy their vibe at all. 

I do enjoy Sgt. Pepper though. Close as they came to grabbing my heart. 

Once again, I know this is blasphemous, but I will usually do a hard pass on their music. 

Not a Beatles guy either. The only Beatles stuff I have much use for is the early bubblegum pop stuff. My mom was a teen when the Beatles hit, so she was fully vested in that time period, and still had the 45's and stuff. So I grew up playing those, and still enjoy a lot of that stuff. And to be completely fair, there are a handful of later Beatles songs that I like well enough. But for the most part, they just don't grab me. And I think Sgt Peppers is the most overrated record in the history of pop music. So, I'll be your fellow blasphemer!

Yeah - the bands that never/hardly made it out of England had better stuff - The Kinks and Pretty Things come to mind.  If I didn't have that older brother that was a teen in the 60s, I would probably never know about them.

Fellow blasphemer here. :hi:

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - the bands that never/hardly made it out of England had better stuff - The Kinks and Pretty Things come to mind.  If I didn't have that older brother that was a teen in the 60s, I would probably never know about them.

LOVE the Kinks!

Yay, A Blasphemer Club. I feel like I'm in good company.

Anybody ever visited Amoeba Records in LA? I’ve recently discovered their What's In My Bag series on YouTube where musicians/celebs shop there and show and tell. Sometimes they grab comic related items too. I watched one where Scott Ian bought the Batman Year One DVD, that was cool. 

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Always loved this song, so racist now

15 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Always loved this song, so racist now

The mods will probably give you some time off for that.

I got a strike for posting a Denis Leary song...., lol

Oh, and the Robert Crumb band song...., lollol

Edited by lizards2

Would this thread be complete without someone posting that they've recently inherited a collection of records that they want to sell?

That someone is me.

A friend inherited his Dad's record collection. A few years later he passed and the records came to me.

I have over 1000 sitting in my garage. They run from the early 50's (classical and a few weird 78s) into the late 80's. Some rare stuff. Some Beatles. Some Elvis. Some early Motown. Lots of obscure rockabilly.

Problems are twofold: One, the sleeves are mostly beat, like record collector VG level beat. Two, every record store in Portland only wants to pay about $100 for the whole thing sight unseen.

So, do I "eBay and record show" the lot slowly over the years, or do I bite the bullet and move the whole thing for the best price?

6 minutes ago, agro23 said:

Would this thread be complete without someone posting that they've recently inherited a collection of records that they want to sell?

That someone is me.

A friend inherited his Dad's record collection. A few years later he passed and the records came to me.

I have over 1000 sitting in my garage. They run from the early 50's (classical and a few weird 78s) into the late 80's. Some rare stuff. Some Beatles. Some Elvis. Some early Motown. Lots of obscure rockabilly.

Problems are twofold: One, the sleeves are mostly beat, like record collector VG level beat. Two, every record store in Portland only wants to pay about $100 for the whole thing sight unseen.

So, do I "eBay and record show" the lot slowly over the years, or do I bite the bullet and move the whole thing for the best price?

You have a hateful problem. My father and uncle bought a radio station stock when they switched formats. They split the good stuff and thousands of records sat there until they were going to to throw them out. I am a flipper so I said that I would take them. You cannot even sell 99% of them, or at least it is more trouble than it is worth. I remember a Glenn Miller collection of 45 rpms in a case with a key, 1st edition issue and they were worthless. The only ones anynoe wanted were mine from the 70s and 80s. In fact I hope to meet Geddy Lee later in December and have him sign my two picture discs, Hemispheres and a single (Red Lenses perhaps). Eventually I gave them away, about two thousand, to the only guy who would come and get them. This was 8-10 years ago so maybe things have changed but many 33 lps weren't worth much when I had them. I still have the ones that were mine and my brothers, who had the Street Survivors Lynyrd Skynyrd album where they are on fire.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

You have a hateful problem. My father and uncle bought a radio station stock when they switched formats. They split the good stuff and thousands of records sat there until they were going to to throw them out. I am a flipper so I said that I would take them. You cannot even sell 99% of them, or at least it is more trouble than it is worth. I remember a Glenn Miller collection of 45 rpms in a case with a key, 1st edition issue and they were worthless. The only ones anynoe wanted were mine from the 70s and 80s. In fact I hope to meet Geddy Lee later in December and have him sign my two picture discs, Hemispheres and a single (Red Lenses perhaps). Eventually I gave them away, about two thousand, to the only guy who would come and get them. This was 8-10 years ago so maybe things have changed but many 33 lps weren't worth much when I had them. I still have the ones that were mine and my brothers, who had the Street Survivors Lynyrd Skynyrd album where they are on fire.

Yes, it is my experience that records are a lot like comics: while there are certainly several pricey exceptions, the vast majority of them are worthless, and condition is key. Oh, and they're heavy, too.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

They're in Berkeley, not LA, and I've been there.

They are in both places. I haven't been to the LA shop in quite a long time. Good inventory and prices. Aaron's records was also a good one in the day. My LRS now is Fingerprints in Long Beach. Great shop and good people. 

1 hour ago, agro23 said:

That someone is me.

Step one. Get them OUT of your garage. If the heat warps them, they are worthless. 

Kind of like comics. :)

Same thing with selling them, especially if you have no idea what you are sitting on. Never know. A few of those records could be worth thousands of dollars. 

Take your time. 

2 hours ago, newshane said:

Step one. Get them OUT of your garage. If the heat warps them, they are worthless. 

Kind of like comics. :)

Same thing with selling them, especially if you have no idea what you are sitting on. Never know. A few of those records could be worth thousands of dollars. 

Take your time. 

I kind of know some of what I'm sitting on. And I bought one of those guides. I mean, I'm a comic collector so in many respects, collecting is collecting. But prices online are all over the place. And sadly, nothing is worth thousands. A dozen or so guide in the hundreds. If only their sleeves were in better shape! Of course I haven't gone through all of the boxes yet...

From what I can tell there are two conditions to consider, the album itself and the sleeve. Most of the sleeves are VGish but almost all the records are pristine.

32 minutes ago, agro23 said:

I kind of know some of what I'm sitting on. And I bought one of those guides. I mean, I'm a comic collector so in many respects, collecting is collecting. But prices online are all over the place. And sadly, nothing is worth thousands. A dozen or so guide in the hundreds. If only their sleeves were in better shape! Of course I haven't gone through all of the boxes yet...

From what I can tell there are two conditions to consider, the album itself and the sleeve. Most of the sleeves are VGish but almost all the records are pristine.

Just remember that the guide you are using is probably like the OSPG - worthless. 

There are many out-of-print classical records, for example, that go in the thousands. In a world full of turntables that cost over 50K (!!!!) there are plenty of players willing to pay those sort of prices. 

But yeah, I think you're on the right track. I'd rather see you eBay them than take a bulk deal, unless you simply want to get them out of your house.