• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
1 1

109 posts in this topic

I got into records a few years ago and am constantly learning new things about the hobby.

It amazed me that people actually clean records with a water mixture (and a few other chemicals thrown in) -- and it amazed me even more just how clean some of the records got after the treatment.

I'm a weekly buyer now of vinyl -- there are so many new releases coming out every week. RSD and Black Friday RSD are now two of my favorite days of the year.

Watching YouTube videos of some people in the vinyl community have broadened my appreciation for multiple kinds of music as they discuss records in their collections.

What is amazing is a 100K turntable with a 60K arm, a 30K cartridge, and a 30K preamp...

and that's just the front end. 

"Audiophile" stuff gets CRAZY! :o 

1 hour ago, NamesJay said:

RSD and Black Friday RSD are now two of my favorite days of the year.

I just subscribed to those guys to see what comes out. I actually had a lot of fun cruising around Pledge Music - they have some great offerings if you're into exclusives and signed records. (Got a band-signed Judas Priest album pre-release for $85!)

21 minutes ago, newshane said:

What is amazing is a 100K turntable with a 60K arm, a 30K cartridge, and a 30K preamp...

and that's just the front end. 

"Audiophile" stuff gets CRAZY! :o 

Oh yeah, that stuff is insane. I am in WAY over my head when I lurk around audiophile boards with those guys. I mean, I love my old audio stuff - but trying to understand the nuances of that equipment is like trying to understand the inner workings of the space shuttle. Way too much info for this ol' burger flipper.

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Do you guys ever read Michael Fremer? I've been a fan since reading his Stereophile columns in the nineties. He lives for vinyl and ultra esoteric audiophile equipment.

https://www.analogplanet.com

Yes. He is THE man! 

I am a subscriber to Stereophile, and I'm usually blown away at the sheer quality of writing. Fantastic magazine. 

I've been a music fanatic all my life. Till this day actually, only difference is that nowadays I'm only involved in the music field in the executive side. I've been buying records, producing music and DJing for about 2 decades, but throughout the years, I never purchased a record, a turntable, a vintage mic, compressor, a digital converter - ANYTHING - for the purpose of collecting. It was always for the sole purpose of using it for creative purposes and advancing my career. Even when I decided to sell my entire vinyl collection in 2015, I never had any second thoughts nor sentimental value for the lot. So strange, since my obsession with comics is entirely devoted to the collecting aspect. 

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I've been a music fanatic all my life. Till this day actually, only difference is that nowadays I'm only involved in the music field in the executive side. I've been buying records, producing music and DJing for about 2 decades, but throughout the years, I never purchased a record, a turntable, a vintage mic, compressor, a digital converter - ANYTHING - for the purpose of collecting. It was always for the sole purpose of using it for creative purposes and advancing my career. Even when I decided to sell my entire vinyl collection in 2015, I never had any second thoughts nor sentimental value for the lot. So strange, since my obsession with comics is entirely devoted to the collecting aspect. 

54 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I cheated on my fossil/raw mineral   collection with comics! If you think comics are expensive you an’t seen nothing yet until you look into that hobby lol!

26f5d51a09fa0543833eace60a1bd66d.jpg

15 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Do you guys ever read Michael Fremer? I've been a fan since reading his Stereophile columns in the nineties. He lives for vinyl and ultra esoteric audiophile equipment.

https://www.analogplanet.com

Check out YouTube -- there is a video where he gives a tour of his setup. It's amazing and also made my record collection and equipment feel a little insignificant :cry:

On 11/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, oakman29 said:

Close,  but no cigar.

I collect Elvis and Beatles records as well.

Try looking for Elvis's Sun records.  I only own 1

Baby let's play House 

I used to work with a guy who purchased the top 10 records every single week from the early 1950s into at least the late 1990s.  He had numerous Elvis Sun records.   He had one room that was just all 45s from top to bottom across every wall.  The sad thing was he was really poor.  I tried to convince him he should sell the collection but he  wanted to leave them to his niece.  He is still around and in his mid 80s now, I should ask him if he ever did anything with them.  The niece would probably rather have cash then 45s.

Edited by toro

34 minutes ago, toro said:

I used to work with a guy who purchased the top 10 records every single week from the early 1950s into at least the late 1990s.  He had numerous Elvis Sun records.   He had one room that was just all 45s from top to bottom across every wall.  The sad thing was he was really poor.  I tried to convince him he should sell the collection but he  wanted to leave them to his niece.  He is still around and in his mid 80s now, I should ask him if he ever did anything with them.  The niece would probably rather have cash then 45s.

Wow I could imagine what kind of collection he has.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, oakman29 said:

Close,  but no cigar.

I collect Elvis and Beatles records as well.

Try looking for Elvis's Sun records.  I only own 1

Baby let's play House 

Cool! I have a lone Beatles 45, which my mother gave me years ago. She received it as a gift on her twelfth birthday, in January of 1964. She got two of them, which is why this one survived. The other one is long gone!

15436172388941736980005.jpg

9 hours ago, toro said:

You're probably right that she'd rather have the cash, but you never know. Besides, your friend may still get some enjoyment out of the records.

I actually have a very large run of vinyl specifically from 70's and early 80's genre. Anything related to rock or pop I have it.  One unique aspect in this pursuit shared by comic books is that it can act as a time machine literally sending you back to a specific moment or day etc.  Music like comic books has a very powerful nostalgic like quality in that it stimulates the senses and taps into your memories. I will honestly and sadly admit that my "best" days are behind me at this point. So to remember quite vividly when I bought a specific record, what the weather was like, or what I was doing on a particular day, or what it felt like when I yanked off the shrink wrap and played it is in my book, a big win.  I always say the most valuable commodity we have is time. Back in these decades you could not vlog or capture moments as you can today thanks to technology. So with that said, I am a big proponent of your pursuit DB. Don't be a stranger. Cheers.