• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
1 1

109 posts in this topic

Started buying 45s and albums as a ten year old in 1964, after getting a record player as a gift for the holidays.  Some day soon, I'm going to get around to selling the lot.  Condition generally is 'beat but complete' on the sixties stuff, and a bit better but still worn on the seventies albums.  While I've held onto most everything, having only sold a few 45s to make ends meet back in college, I never gave into the urge to collect more of them.  I can see the enjoyment from it, though.

forty-fives.thumb.jpg.5bda10d46fda067c95e1ff9a08d0a171.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I'm gonna leave a plug for a website I have nothing to do with.

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/

From the website:

Each month, help us choose which out-of-print, new-to-vinyl or previously unreleased record to put into production. When the results are in, pre-order your copy, we go into production and then ship a  limited and numbered collectible direct to your door.

5 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm gonna leave a plug for a website I have nothing to do with.

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/

From the website:

Each month, help us choose which out-of-print, new-to-vinyl or previously unreleased record to put into production. When the results are in, pre-order your copy, we go into production and then ship a  limited and numbered collectible direct to your door.

This is a pretty cool concept! 

I know this is more about vinyl specifically, but before I got back into comics in a big way, I developed a mini-audiophile habit, but made the intentional choice to go all-digital. It may be a generational thing (in my mid-30s), but growing up in the mp3 era, don’t have the same nostalgia for vinyl. 

Lived in condos / apts for most of my post-school life so mostly gone with headphones vs speaker setup. Have a huge digital lossless and high-res collection (all FLAC, lots of 24bit/192khz). Have a mid/high-end (think ~$1-2k DAC/AMP/Headphone each)  but not crazy-high end (like in the 2-channel world, it gets crazy expensive at the high end). 

When I talk to other vinyl enthusiasts, one similar experience we share is the process of intentionally choosing an album or what to play and actively listen (usually beginning to end, and not doing anything else, eg. not background music). While I enjoy the “Spotfiy Playlist” listening at certain times, I do love the experience of thinking about what to play and then just committing to an hour or two listening session. When you go digital, it’s easy to amass huge collections and so choosing what to play can be a legitimate hurdle. I use a program called Roon as my listening application - not cheap but a great program that greatly improved my digital listening experience.