• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm cheating on comics...with vinyl records.
1 1

109 posts in this topic

It's funny - I don't really miss my comic collection (except for a few sentimental items), but I found that I still need to collect something. It's just in my personality - as probably everyone here can relate to. When I started getting a little expendable income back, I realized that I didn't want to re-collect all the books that I had (mostly SA/BA Marvels). It was like revisiting a previously attained conquest - the thrill of going after a certain book was gone once I nailed it. I dabbled in buying a few SS books, but that just didn't do it. I picked up a couple pre-code horror books and that didn't really do it, either. I putzed around the sales threads looking for something that would interest me, but nothing caught my eye. So I turned to the 80's metal and thrash I grew up with and started collecting 1st pressing records. An inexpensive hobby (in relation to the money that can be spent on comics) - but a hobby that my wife still feels is a waste of money, so I know it's a good one.

I still cruise around here and other sites because I love comics - and I imagine I always will. Love the art, the smell of a raw book, the shininess of a slab - all that. I just miss the thrill of the hunt. I guess Lemmy was right... The Chase is Better Than the Catch

It's okay as long as your sound system is up to snuff. :sumo:

Edited by newshane

I have always collected both comics and vinyl. I got to the point where what I really wanted was the music itself anyway.  Several thousand vinyl records take up space and are horrible to move around. I did want the fidelity of vinyl. So I bought a 160gig Ipod, a turntable with a usb cable and got to work. I'm still working on it but I aim to record most of my records as a wave file on my Ipod. Lots of this stuff is obtainable any other way than vinyl. As I'm doing it, I'm selling off most of my records. A very nice feeling to have what I really want and a whole lot less "stuff". Comics...I'm a hopeless mess. 

@Dr. Balls

There was a vinyl covention not to long ago here in Dallas. It was on the news and they were talking to patrons. They were establishing the logic, a lot of people's parents had record collections, kids inherit, have a base collection, and they want more...

Typical of any hobby really, but I could relate as my dad has records from since he was a kid. I grew up listening to them, dad was born in 1955. He stopped in about 1984 or 85. I grew up listening to the tmnt soundtrack at school, while listening to the stray cats on vinyl....at home

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

A properly set up turntable with a carefully selected pre-amp and dialed in cartridge is the absolute best way to enjoy music, outside of hearing it performed live in an acceptable-sounding venue. I'm not trying to start a digital/analog argument here but...trust me? 

I agree, I still see modern artists on vinyl at a DVD store near me that also has comics, video games statues etc. 

Knowing what vintage vinyl sounds like, I've often wondered if the modern stuff is as good ....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Auto correct jmon phone J'mon!

25 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

here is the AF15 of the vinyl world.....

Image result for beatles butcher cover

Close,  but no cigar.

I collect Elvis and Beatles records as well.

Try looking for Elvis's Sun records.  I only own 1

Baby let's play House 

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

45's with their picture sleeves are a tough find. The kids of the fifties and sixties threw them around only leaving their records on the turntables. 

I think your talking to me, or you may be talking about Elvis?

But I'm dying to listen to my 45 rpm and see how bad off they are... while secretly waiting for the vinyl revolution :headbang:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, newshane said:

A properly set up turntable with a carefully selected pre-amp and dialed in cartridge is the absolute best way to enjoy music, outside of hearing it performed live in an acceptable-sounding venue. I'm not trying to start a digital/analog argument here but...trust me? 

I'm running a Technics SL-V5 turntable through my dad's old Tandberg TR-2025 which is cool. (I have a vintage deck, 8-track and ghetto blaster as well) - just delved into Black Sabbath original pressings (which are in the $300-$500 range) and those are pretty cool to listen to.

My comic office has remnants of both in it, my slabs intermixed with my records. I agree that someone's parents collectables can be a catalyst for a new hobby - my father's old audiophile equipment kind of got me looking at vintage vinyl and cassettes. I'm still trying to keep a little comic collection that will be worth passing down to my stepson. I do wish I had landed that perfect Ms. Marvel #1 9.8 that I was trying to snag before I sold everything off.

My dad has an original pressing of Black Sabbath Vol. 4. 

Happens to be my favorite Sabbath album! :headbang:

7 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Someday I will sell it all, and get a tiny house, and go all Walden on everyone. 

This is absolutely my endgame. 

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Close,  but no cigar.

I collect Elvis and Beatles records as well.

Try looking for Elvis's Sun records.  I only own 1

Baby let's play House 

I've got my Mom's copy of that and Hound Dog on Sun 78 rpm. My mom had some amazing records that I was the lucky recepient of.