• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Mark Jewelers Copy
3 3

153 posts in this topic

I've cooled down now, @RCheli

I noticed that you did say mine was a 6.0 and right on the money (thumbsu

The other had a sticker? I trust flyingdonut would remove it be for sending it in, but :wishluck: i hope it does get sent in, if I remember correctly, only 2 lone copies on the census with the Canadian price... idk

thanks for finding the book and being willing to part with it, it gave me satisfaction as a proud owner :foryou:

I can't seem to find a picture of it, but if I recall, it was a sticker with a hand written 75 cents on it. Perhaps someone saw the wrong price and put a correct price sticker over it. It had the same MJ insert as yours. 

6 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I can't seem to find a picture of it, but if I recall, it was a sticker with a hand written 75 cents on it. Perhaps someone saw the wrong price and put a correct price sticker over it. It had the same MJ insert as yours. 

Some sticky stuff is easier to remove than others, but I don't know enough about it lol

Still, glad he got the Canadian price, I would think it would be up his alley.

I've looked, but there just aren't that many Canadian priced copies of anything here in Texas. I've found 2X 30 cent variants, and 0X 35 cent (those finds were on the wild though)

I think flyingdonut has some insight on test markets of 30 and 35 cent copies.

But Thanks again ;)

8 hours ago, CanadianGothic said:

Sorry, I'm lost. I don't know what went on in the past and I don't know who Angelo is on these boards.

Save yourself the heartburn and don’t bother with the old threads on this.  

Basically some guy (guys?) from the price guide blog came on here a little while ago and were, let’s say questioned, about their eligibility to contribute. They got run off by the welcome committee and the price guide is now voldemort round here.

Edited by sk.rank

For the sake of posterity, it has been pointed out to me that on my Canadian price Mark jeweler, there is captain America's head where the code authority symbol should be...

I believe that this is because it is the newsstand version of the book...

Here is a link to the newsstand non Canadian price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-231-FRANK-MILLER-NEWSSTAND-BORN-AGAIN-MARVEL-COMICS/153378574253?hash=item23b6134fad:g:WJkAAOSwpZpcZckJ

All the other listings of direct versions have the code authority symbol...

Just interesting and to add to the thread... :shy:

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Red_Hood @awe4one @kimik

@Lazyboy @Beyonder123

You guys have contributed to this thread, any thoughts now that it's back in a blue label?

As someone who buys and sells Canadian Price Variants and is often the first to market on many Canadian Price Variants I will say that it is an anomaly and not many collectors will care too much about it due to the grade and the issue itself.  It's great to have a one of kind type of book but there are a lot of examples in the hobby that don't garner much traction.

53 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

All the other listings of direct versions have the code authority symbol...

Just interesting and to add to the thread... :shy:

Direct versions don't, newsstand versions do.  Except 231, which adds another cool factor to the book I'd say

....I had a look at the other Marvel releases from that month to see if it was a cross title theme but no, just DD.

Edited by sk.rank

41 minutes ago, sk.rank said:

Direct versions don't, newsstand versions do.  Except 231, which adds another cool factor to the book I'd say

....I had a look at the other Marvel releases from that month to see if it was a cross title theme but no, just DD.

Thanks! That's info I didn't have, much appreciated :)

56 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

As someone who buys and sells Canadian Price Variants and is often the first to market on many Canadian Price Variants I will say that it is an anomaly and not many collectors will care too much about it due to the grade and the issue itself.  It's great to have a one of kind type of book but there are a lot of examples in the hobby that don't garner much traction.

True! And the story to explain this one is a bit of a hassle :baiting:jk. But it is unique ish...

On 11/28/2018 at 9:39 AM, Red_Hood said:

I would be very leery of this.  I would check the staple holes on the MJ insert.  I don't believe Mark Jeweller Insert books were distributed in Canada, let alone, make it into a Canadian Price Variant distributed books.

MJ insert books became available on the secondary or aftermarket in Canada through resale of collections and so forth. 

I tend to think that this book was manipulated.  Oddly enough, why would someone bother to manipulate that issue? 

It's lower grade and not a key.  My only guess is that they were practicing on books to add the insert and this was one of the experiments.

Very much agreed.

20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

One of the blacker, more disgusting stains on the record of those involved. It was shameful all around, and a gross abuse of power. Apologies are necessary, but of course I'm not holding my breath.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

I did. Still don't buy it, but if others do, more power to them. 

I hear you, i just don't want to be guilty of misrepresentation... :foryou:

Cgc's reputation is all I have to go on, well that and any info in this thread....

Wouldn't you think that cgc would check for manipulation? The only way I would doubt cgc is if they said the light bulb didn't go off when they saw the Canadian price Mark jeweler.  But imo they wouldn't be able to autofill the cert withought making a connection :wishluck:

Imo of course I feel I "should" know what to think, but meh

15 hours ago, sk.rank said:

Save yourself the heartburn and don’t bother with the old threads on this.  

Basically some guy (guys?) from the price guide blog came on here a little while ago and were, let’s say questioned, about their eligibility to contribute. They got run off by the welcome committee and the price guide is now voldemort round here.

That is not an accurate summation of the events in question. 

The "price guide blog", run by a Mr. Benjamin Nobel, contains multiple errors and false claims which, heretofore, Mr. Nobel has been entirely unwilling to address, When he was politely challenged on his blog, rather than respond, he simply blocked those challenging him from being able to post there.

Those are not the actions of a person interested in getting at the truth. Those are the actions of someone with an agenda.

When that was pointed out on THIS board, where Mr. Nobel had a single post from 2011, and was therefore not a member, a member by the user name of "The_Investor", who is, apparently, the "Angelo" person mentioned as a co-contributor on the "Canadian Price Variant" price guide, notified Mr. Nobel about what was being said, and the both of them (and perhaps others) decided to call CGC and complain that they were being "cyber bullied"...and, those at CGC took them at their word, and suspended me for three weeks, despite the fact that there was no "cyber bullying" of any kind going on, and Mr. Nobel was free to post the things that he posted, including his ridiculous "offer", that Lazyboy linked above.

It's rather difficult to "run someone off" when you can't post, wouldn't you agree...?

The "price guide" is now "voldemort around here" because in the year and a half since this disgraceful event, Mr; Nobel has made absolutely zero effort to fix the multiple errors and false claims on his website, which renders it another of a series of "hype" sites with an agenda to push. When and if Mr. Nobel decides to take these issues seriously, I have no doubt he would be welcomed with open arms by the members of this community.

Thank you for the opportunity to correct the record.