• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Mark Jewelers Copy
4 4

154 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I promise to send it in with my Christmas submission to see what CGC says....

Given they mislabeled my Batman #24 Newsstand, I don't have a lot of faith, but we shall see ^^ 

@RCheli........ That way you'll know about your other one :) 

4 hours ago, kimik said:

My view is that this is likely a misprint that they just slapped the 75 cent stickers on for the bases. That would have been the cheapest way to solve the problem - there is no way that Marvel would have reprinted that portion of the print run.

It makes me wonder if this happened with any other books in the same month?

The sticker isn't necessarily connected to the initial distribution. It could be, but anyone can add a sticker at any time, without even having to disassemble the book.

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So what would we call it if so? A misprint? It's in there in error, not by design. I'll have to start checking pence copies now :grin:

Manufacturing error. It's always possible for an issue to get an unintended insert or for copies of an issue to miss getting an insert they were supposed to get.

Or it could just be a manipulated copy (or two).

More pictures from the two comics. The MJI is the same for both copies and it's a G (not a 6).

I am certainly not an expert on restoration or adding in centerfolds, but it doesn't seem to have been done.

First, more from the non stickered copy:

1543462340471857702995941599068.jpg

1543462467773346401486424333377.jpg

15434624967363890543751662865339.jpg

15434625304027732016720485892962.jpg

After doing some research, I'm semi-confident it's legit. I used this website as my sourse for the insert codes.

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ Inserts/Insert webpage.html

After zooming in I can tell that the code is in fact a G. On the website the writer states that alphabetical codes were used from May of 1985 to september of 1986. Daredevil #231 came out in June of 1986. The last code used was G. The same code that you have, Considering the same codes were used for several months at a time I can pretty much say your insert is consistent with the insert code that would have appeared in June of 1986. And I think if someone else shows a copy of a Marvel comic from June of 1986 that is Mark Jewelers; it will probably have a code of G. (Marvel, DC, And Gold Key had different numbering systems)

4 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I also hope that the picture clears up what I meant by a sticker. It's hand written, so maybe it was done in the PX when they recieved a, to them, mispriced issue.

I'm confident the sticker will come off, I've recently bought books and removed stickers...

I don't have any suggestions on how lol but when you pluck up the nerve? (shrug) :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

51 minutes ago, Beyonder123 said:

let me know when you plan on selling them and for how much. Also lighter fluid works well for removing sticker residue.

Body heat, no chemicals, works fine. Lighter fluid risks ink and surface damage. Very nice find btw, and great thread. (thumbsu

Edited by divad

2 minutes ago, wardevil0 said:

I'm no expert on Canadian price variants, but isn't it weird the Comics Code seal has been replaced by the little Captain America face? I scanned through eBay and haven't seen any other books with this. Is it possible these aren't Canadians, but some other variant? (shrug)

They were like this for all newsstand editions for this issue. As well as a couple other different titles. I knew someone who had a theory that perhaps this issue wasn't approved by the CCA because this issue was definitely more hard core than previous issues. 

4 minutes ago, Beyonder123 said:

They were like this for all newsstand editions for this issue. As well as a couple other different titles. I knew someone who had a theory that perhaps this issue wasn't approved by the CCA because this issue was definitely more hard core than previous issues. 

Fast quoting! I checked that very thing next and saw my mistake.  I wonder if it was intentional, because the Harry Osborne drug issues in Amazing Spider-Man were well publicized as "non-code approved" and this one seems to be under the radar.  Let me go ahead and speak before I do any research again...:blush:  If I find anything referential I'll post it here.  As to the actual topic, do the Canadian armed forces have a similar retail support system as the US military?  While we're on the subject, were Mark Jewelers books distributed through the NEX (for Navy and Marine Corps) or just AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service, AKA PX and BX)?

12 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A quick oddball question:  Does anybody have this issue with a 75c price and the insert?  That would seem to be the obvious question to ask at this point.

Would it be the same? I know there are different Mark jeweler inserts, bit I don't know if the are the same per month, per issue etc.