• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Mark Jewelers Copy
3 3

153 posts in this topic

I was just bagging some dollar comics tonight when I came upon a Canadian price variant (95 cent) of Daredevil #231 with a Mark Jewelers insert. I did some Googlin' and I couldn't find anything on them.

Are there any Mark Jewelers experts that can help?

I would be very leery of this.  I would check the staple holes on the MJ insert.  I don't believe Mark Jeweller Insert books were distributed in Canada, let alone, make it into a Canadian Price Variant distributed books.

MJ insert books became available on the secondary or aftermarket in Canada through resale of collections and so forth. 

I tend to think that this book was manipulated.  Oddly enough, why would someone bother to manipulate that issue? 

It's lower grade and not a key.  My only guess is that they were practicing on books to add the insert and this was one of the experiments.

13 minutes ago, awe4one said:

I have never heard of such a thing.  Weird.

Jim

Me neither. 

15 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I would be very leery of this.  I would check the staple holes on the MJ insert.  I don't believe Mark Jeweller Insert books were distributed in Canada, let alone, make it into a Canadian Price Variant distributed books.

MJ insert books became available on the secondary or aftermarket in Canada through resale of collections and so forth. 

I tend to think that this book was manipulated.  Oddly enough, why would someone bother to manipulate that issue? 

It's lower grade and not a key.  My only guess is that they were practicing on books to add the insert and this was one of the experiments.

Whilst anything is possible, and mistakes can happen at the printers, theres no evidence that MJ inserts went into Canadian copies by design as you say. More likely this is an attempt at manipulation. And as for the issue being a non key, wouldn't that be what you would do? Add 'authenticity' by adding one to a nondescript book?  That would be clever. I saw an ASM 121 with a MJI once and it was obviously a construct. And you could see why a person would do it, being a key. 

That has always been a problem with the MJIs - the fact that it is possible to 'create' one. I still love them though, and it would be cool if this could be proven to be authentic somehow. 

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

There was another copy, too! Same issue, same condition, just someone put a 75 cent sticker over the 95 cents. (It could probably be removed by someone with talent.)

Double weird. 

I pulled this copy (and the second copy) from 4 long boxes I bought a week ago. There were a few later issues of Daredevil that also had MJ inserts, though they were the regular price (as they were past the period where there was US/Canadian price differences). 

I can certainly take more pictures of these comics, though I don't think that there was any nefarious manipulation happening.

7 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I pulled this copy (and the second copy) from 4 long boxes I bought a week ago. There were a few later issues of Daredevil that also had MJ inserts, though they were the regular price (as they were past the period where there was US/Canadian price differences). 

I can certainly take more pictures of these comics, though I don't think that there was any nefarious manipulation happening.

More pictures would be great. Tell tale signs are enlarged staple holes and inserts that don't exactly fit the cut of the book. Overhang / underhang (is that a word?) That kind of thing. 

Based on the other copy with a 75C sticker, maybe that month there were some misprints where the CDN newsstand cover received the MJ inserts that were to be distributed to the military? If that is the case, there may be other issues that have them.

Or, if it was just this specific issue, you now have an extremely rare double variant that collectors will chase. :flipbait: :flipbait:

32 minutes ago, kimik said:

Based on the other copy with a 75C sticker, maybe that month there were some misprints where the CDN newsstand cover received the MJ inserts that were to be distributed to the military? If that is the case, there may be other issues that have them.

Or, if it was just this specific issue, you now have an extremely rare double variant that collectors will chase. :flipbait: :flipbait:

I'll take a picture of the 75 cent sticker. It did not look professional in the least.

59 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Me neither. 

Whilst anything is possible, and mistakes can happen at the printers, theres no evidence that MJ inserts went into Canadian copies by design as you say. More likely this is an attempt at manipulation. And as for the issue being a non key, wouldn't that be what you would do? Add 'authenticity' by adding one to a nondescript book?  That would be clever. I saw an ASM 121 with a MJI once and it was obviously a construct. And you could see why a person would do it, being a key. 

That has always been a problem with the MJIs - the fact that it is possible to 'create' one. I still love them though, and it would be cool if this could be proven to be authentic somehow. 

Absolutely, anything is possible.  I could see some sort of confusing cross-over distribution occur during the transition of Canadian Price Variants.  I don't know if it would bring a big premium to a book in that condition though.

2 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Absolutely, anything is possible.  I could see some sort of confusing cross-over distribution occur during the transition of Canadian Price Variants.  I don't know if it would bring a big premium to a book in that condition though.

Depends how many Daredevil completists get to hear about it. If there are any that is :grin: