• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First comic purchased and the case is cracked... Is this worth re-slabbing and if so, how?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

First time posting.

I recently purchased my first CGC graded comic and when it arrived, there was a crack on the back. The comic looks fine and I already spoke to the seller and he agreed to pay half the costs to send it in and get it reslabbed.

s-l1600.jpg.82eea4abed88bc43c44ff7735d2dae6a.jpg1929656261_PhotoNov1620138PM.thumb.jpg.304832fce41d353e001d16e7e925893f.jpg

My question to you guys is, is it worth getting this reslabbed? If so, how do I go about doing this? Do I need an annual membership to reslab or is that only for sending in new items to be graded and slabbed.

Thank you!

I think most people would say to just return it for the full refund, or to get the full cost of reslabbing fees if possible.  But yes, you should reslab it.

But as for the process, you don't need a membership. 

Generally, you fill out a form online, pack up your comic, mail it to CGC, they process, reslab, and mail back to you.  Its different (and cheaper) than submitting for grading

You can go on the website and poke around for more info and the forms, but the best way to make sure you get the best official advice is to email or call CGC directly about the process.  They're nice and will walk you through it and can answer specific questions you have.

revat's advise above is good and I'll add a few things...

If the seller did not disclose the crack, most would want he/she to take care of the full costs or take the return.  If the crack occurred in shipping, it's worth pursuing a claim with the shipping service and splitting costs seems mostly reasonable. FedEx and UPS have $100 worth of coverage and USPS has $50 if the shipment was by priority mail. The shipper applies for and starts the claim process and if the claim is paid, the payment is to the seller.  

The reholder service isn't expensive ($15) But the costs are driven up by shipping and the $5 invoice fee. You have to get the book to CGC and the least expensive option back is FedEx or UPS at $14. WITH the $100 of insurance I mentioned earlier.  That's all that is available with those carriers from CGC. If you paid substantially more than $100 the book will travel under insured.  Loss or damage is uncommon, but can happen. 

Registered Mail will cost 2x that much. $30-$32, cannot find the postage rate chart. 

So when you add all the costs up, shipping to CGC, reholder fee, invoice fee, shipping back - that $15 charge has grown to $45. 

You say this is your first book, so what I normally do wouldn't work for you - at least not yet.  I hold onto cracked slabs until I have 4-5. Then I send them in. Because the golden rule in shipping is that the first pound - or in this case book - is the most expensive. Two books only cost a few dollars more than one to ship - and five books only a few dollars more than two. 

Welcome to the boards. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

You say this is your first book, so what I normally do wouldn't work for you - at least not yet.  I hold onto cracked slabs until I have 4-5. Then I send them in. Because the golden rule in shipping is that the first pound - or in this case book - is the most expensive. Two books only cost a few dollars more than one to ship - and five books only a few dollars more than two. 

This. I have 8 books right now that need a re-holder, for damage, or to have the series in the same holder.

I suggest asking for the $15 re-holder fee as a refund. Maybe the seller can recoup that from the shipping insurance if it wasn't cracked when-shipped.