• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em **GA edition**
5 5

102 posts in this topic

With CC and CL both having monthly auctions AND event auctions 3 or 4 times a year AND HA having weekly auctions AND event auctions...it's just a lot - not to mention all the other sites.  No one wants to put their top bid in early so they wait.  And then they miss the end of the auction for whatever reason.  HA is much better at keeping potential bidders in the loop and their site is just so much superior...but consignors get a much lower percent of the dollar with them.  And while all of the above will advance roughly half of the estimated value (I have to say here that HA wanted to give me half the guide value - I couldn't even reply I was laughing so hard)...but it still takes months from sending the books to the company until actually getting the final check from sales.

All that said, selling on the boards seems to be the best thing for all involved.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, Sqeggs said:

"Another hobby"?  Get a grip, man.  There is only ONE hobby! :taptaptap:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. lol   Like many on the forums I'm sure, I have this love for a certain car, so I just sold some really nice books to fund my dream machine. After I did it, I had to convince myself that I did the right thing for the sake of enjoying life. Once the books were gone and the purchase was made, I was happy but I really do miss the books. :tonofbricks:

On 11/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, nearmint said:
On 11/30/2018 at 9:04 AM, nearmint said:

I consigned 3 really nice books to the auction, and I have to say it was far and away my worst result ever.  Lost my shirt. 

On 11/30/2018 at 10:25 AM, Bat34 said:

Yikes, sorry to hear that.

I anticipated a loss.  I only owned the books for a year, and obviously there would be one less bidder this time(me), but I didn't anticipate a 36% loss on 2 Church books and a 9.6 file copy.  

Live and learn!

Sorry to hear about your loss, but it's pretty tough to make money considering the fees when you hold the books for only a year, and especially when you are selling into the softest time of the season.  :frown:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry to hear about your loss, but it's pretty tough to make money considering the fees when you hold the books for only a year, and especially when you are selling into the softest time of the season.  :frown:

Thanks.  As I said, I anticipated a loss, just not 36%.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:55 AM, Point Five said:
On 11/30/2018 at 11:42 AM, Sqeggs said:

I wonder if people are saving their pennies for the CC auction that's coming up?  I've generally thought that CLink was smarter in ending their end-of-year auctions in late Nov/early Dec, while CC ends in mid-Dec.  But maybe this time, CC will yield better results. 

I may have some insider info on this: I have books in both right now, thus they will both tank equally. 

This would appear to be the case as it looks like many of the books have not moved at all during the past week.

I am also 100% sure that the current ongoing downturn in the stock markets are having a direct negative impact here.  Many say that the comic book market moves up when the stock market goes down, but I am definitely not a believer in this theory, as I feel that buyers feel a lot less willing to throw their money into books when their stock portfolios have dropped by 25% to 35% in a few short weeks.  :frown:

Considering the generally softness of the December auctions, I am actually a bit surprised that Fishler decided to put his Church Planet run up at this rather inopportune time of the year.  With some of the other rather slim offerings, I imagine this auction probably needed a bit of spicing up.  hm

On 11/30/2018 at 9:03 AM, Sqeggs said:

Some nice Centaurs of which I nabbed only this one.  Seems as if the grade was hammered for the loose wraps. 

RADD6D8D20181113_155824.jpg

Now that's a fantastic pick of an absolutely gorgeous book and a toughie to find in grade.  :applause:

Clearly evident by the fact that this was one of the very few books that Berk decided to hold onto when it came time to sell his much treasured personal collection last summer.  :cloud9:

On 11/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, Gotham Kid said:

For the most part soft GA and even SA sales but then we have a MSH13 9.6 that sold for 31K. People are stupid.

It might just be a sign that Boston Corbett is back in the house to continue to school us on the economics of the comic book marketplace.  hm

Thus endeth the lesson.  lol   :tonofbricks:

On 12/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, mwotka said:

Pulled this one in. Pretty pumped about it too!  :banana:  A tough book in the run to find. 

fight 35 4.0.jpg

Nice.  I think I was the under-under-under bidder on that one.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, dannyboy said:

With CC and CL both having monthly auctions AND event auctions 3 or 4 times a year AND HA having weekly auctions AND event auctions...it's just a lot - not to mention all the other sites.  No one wants to put their top bid in early so they wait.  And then they miss the end of the auction for whatever reason.  HA is much better at keeping potential bidders in the loop and their site is just so much superior...but consignors get a much lower percent of the dollar with them.  And while all of the above will advance roughly half of the estimated value (I have to say here that HA wanted to give me half the guide value - I couldn't even reply I was laughing so hard)...but it still takes months from sending the books to the company until actually getting the final check from sales.

All that said, selling on the boards seems to be the best thing for all involved.

Well, CLink certainly bombards you with e-mails: "Lots start closing next week." "Lots start closing tomorrow." "Lots are closing tonight."  "Lots are closing now." "Will you start bidding already?!"

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:
5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Tony DiPreta sure had some imagination didn't he :bigsmile:

If only he had been imagining it ....

:eek:

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Tony DiPreta sure had some imagination didn't he :bigsmile:

If only he had been imagining it ....

:eek:

The CLink writeup indicates that cover was inspired by (probably not the best term in this context!) Nazi death camp tattoos.  That could be right, although I think those tattoos were numbers on the prisoners' arms.  So, it is possible that DiPreta was imagining a type of Nazi depravity that didn't actually happen.  

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The CLink writeup indicates that cover was inspired by (probably not the best term in this context!) Nazi death camp tattoos.  That could be right, although I think those tattoos were numbers on the prisoners' arms.  So, it is possible that DiPreta was imagining a type of Nazi depravity that didn't actually happen.  

Blimey. Makes you think. Do we know if the numbers and words on the men's backs have any significance Sqeggs?