• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN Please grade my extensively taped X-Men 1

34 posts in this topic

Okay, what do I do with this book? X-Men 1 with ripped and taped cover and taped bottom spine. Top of spine has a split as well that was not taped. Grading estimate as is? And where would you go from here if this was your book?

DtLEOVOUwAE0iWT.jpgDtLEOVRU0AAMIQq.jpgDtLEOVQUcAAMsvz.jpgDtLEOVSU0AEqjGp.jpg

Thanks for any help with this! I want to get it as nice as possible of course but what to do, what to do?

Edited by Bird

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Looking at it again, you may get a little more mileage out of it.? See what others say. (thumbsu

Thanks. Yeah, the tape won't count against it, will it? In any event, each little grade bump means a little more cash in the ol'pocket so I will see what the consensus is. I have a PM in to the pressmaster as well.

Just now, Bird said:

Thanks. Yeah, the tape won't count against it, will it? In any event, each little grade bump means a little more cash in the ol'pocket so I will see what the consensus is. I have a PM in to the pressmaster as well.

It'll probably be mentioned on the label. Fingers crossed for you.(thumbsu

35 minutes ago, Bird said:

They SAY tape won't count against it, but a lot of tape will. I have an ASM 13 with a spine covered in tape that I thought, hey, better CGC before the movie comes out. And since tape doesn't count, I should get like a 2.0 on it!

...wrong...

Still glad I slabbed it. But IMHO a lot of tape will be reflected in the grade. That said, yours presents better than that book, so I'm thinking 1.5.

That book IMO is not a FR 1.0.

Yes it is a worn "well Loved" copy but there are no pieces missing, no major spine splits and tape does not affect any grade GD 2.0 and lower so IMO this book should get at least a FR/GD 1.5 which "theoretically" is valued at 3/4 of the GD 2.0 price.

Personally I have absolutely no issue with tape and well Loved reader copies, have many myself and have taped many myself.

(Yes I know that last statement made many of you cringe, however, scotch tape WILL NOT and CANNOT make a VERY LOW Grade book that is already falling apart any worse, it can only help to keep it together and IF it does make it worse it will not be in my lifetime and probably not in my children's lifetime, thats my story and I am sticking to it!!!)

What would CGC grade at...

CGC's stance is that tape cannot be used to make a repair and grades the book with the defects as if the tape were not present.

What kind of price the book would bring at auction with the tape, all depends on the demand at the time.

I cannot be the only collector looking for affordable, well Loved copies of Key Books.

On eBay there were two CGC PR 0.5 X-Men #1's that sold for $1350.00 (67 Bids/17 Bidders) and $1775.00 (58 bids/22 Bidders) respectively.

Then there is this Raw X-Men 1 that is in worse shape than your book that sold for $1281.00 (45 Bids/14 Bidders)

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

1.0 for the grade. If it were me? Read it, bag and board it, sell it!

I suggest that it be cgc graded , lots of people want an affordable key issue an the look much better in hand when inside the CGC case🆒👍‼️👍💚

Beat but complete, and not bad eye appeal even with the tape.  I'd say it presents as a 2.0, but if you slab it the grade may be closer to 1.0.  I would put it in a shiny mylar and display on my shelf.  Even if you sell it raw, an individual's higher perceived grade may drive a better price than a lower assigned grade.

5 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

you would expect CGC to come back with a 1.5  but  when you get it back it will be a 1.0  .....that's how CGC works.

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, AJD said:

The book also has an extra staple by the look of it. I agree with others that 1.5 is "right" but I'm not sure what it would get...

Yes I think you are correct. I saw one that sold with 3 extra staples, so who knows what is going on there!

Meets all the criteria for a solid FR/GD book: extensive cover tears and wear, tape and extra staple, spine splits.  However, I believe the spine split will be the deciding factor in a CGC grade in this case.  if the cumulative length of the spine split is longer than 2/3 the length of the spine (doesn't look like, but really can't tell from the pictures) then you're at a FR 1.0.  Less than 2" of spine split and you could be looking at a GD- 1.8.  Anything in between (looks like the case) nets you a FR/GD 1.5.  In any case, it's got great eye appeal for any of the possible grades above!