• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink 2018 auction - soft prices?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

I really hope I don't upset anyone and congratulations to all the winners in the auction. Is it just me or do prices seem to be softening a bit on some keys? Specifically silver age marvel keys ie: the FF1's, AF15's and Hulk 1's all seemd to sell for much less than I thought they would. Thoughts? Comments? 

5 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

I really hope I don't upset anyone and congratulations to all the winners in the auction. Is it just me or do prices seem to be softening a bit on some keys? Specifically silver age marvel keys ie: the FF1's, AF15's and Hulk 1's all seemd to sell for much less than I thought they would. Thoughts? Comments? 

I just checked and there was 3 Hulk 1s up in one auction so that may have hurt sales a bit.  The CGC 6.0 went for $700 under GPA on a $27,000 so it went for 2.5% under GPA so not much of a drop there.  The 3.5 went for less then the 3.0 so it probably has to due with eye apeal and maybe the writing on the 3.5.  The 3.0 went about 5% under GPA so I'd not call it a huge discount. 

The FF 1 CGc 7.0 went for more then the last 7.5 so I think that's a strong price.  The 3.0 went for about GPA where as the 5.0 went for a bit less then the last sale but if you consider the last CGC 5.5 went for 20,000 and the 4.5 average is 13,500 then the $16,500 the 5.0 sold for is probably about where it should be.

I didn't look at every mega key but most look to have sold for very close to GPA averages.

1 hour ago, c_mkv said:

I sure hope so.

2 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I had this thought also while watching the auction. IMO, this is common for this time of year.  

i also think these premiere auction pull in the buyers who are looking for the rare highest grade comics that don't come to market very often (especially Golden Age stuff) so the more common keys get a little less love compared to the regular auctions.

4 hours ago, c_mkv said:

While selling this time of year can be hit and miss (some buyers are distracted by the holidays, while others have record amounts of money to spend as Christmas bonuses) I think the real reason is the change in internet tax laws.

Comiclink now charges taxes in 8 states (I'm not sure what Heritage and CC do), which reduces bidding prices as bidders factor in those taxes into their final bids. I think this is a fairly significant factor that will affect prices.

And as governments continually look to recover lost revenue in the digital age I only see this trend increasing.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

While selling this time of year can be hit and miss (some buyers are distracted by the holidays, while others have record amounts of money to spend as Christmas bonuses) I think the real reason is the change in internet tax laws.

Comiclink now charges taxes in 8 states (I'm not sure what Heritage and CC do), which reduces bidding prices as bidders factor in those taxes into their final bids. I think this is a fairly significant factor that will affect prices.

And as governments continually look to recover lost revenue in the digital age I only see this trend increasing.

The revenue isn’t lost, it simply doesn’t belong to them unless they legislate to seize more of it. 

6 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Variances of 10-15% are common between auctions. Lots of factors to consider with every book. But overall softening of the market for these books... no I don't think that is happening yet. Which particular books did you think would sell for much more?