• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moved to More Appropriate Forum
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I just became a member of CGC, and I have been reading the boards to make sure I got the hang of things. So, as my first two questions, I need some grading and valuation advice.

I sent a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #50, and it came back with a grade of 7.0 with a verified signature from Stan Lee (autograph thanks to Celestial Comics). I then sent this comic back to Celestial Comics to get it autographed by John Romita. It has now been signed and is now undergoing a pressing through CCS.

So, my first question is this. After these signatures and the pressing, should I expect to get another grade of 7.0, or should I expect a higher or lower grade?

My second question is this. How do these two verified signatures affect the value of the comic? My guess that the value of Amazing Spider-Man #50 is around $750, unsigned. If I was to sell this comic as soon as I receive it, I would assume that I should ask for more than $750. But how much more?

Thanks for your time and cooperation in answering my questions.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer
Move to Better Forum

If it received any damage since graded before it could receive a lower grade. Pressing can give you a better grade, but its not a for sure thing. You could always set the price higher because of a signature, but don't expect anyone to buy it. Placement of the signatures could push a person not to buy if the signature covers characters faces and what not. Personally I never purchase a signed book, I prefer my books to be clean and not tainted with exterior ink. To each his own.

If it's not encapsulated under the CGC SS yellow label, then I value the signature at $0. If it is a SS book, then it's definitely worth more than the market value of a universal/blue label book.

Your language in the OP makes me think it's a qualified/green label book.

Edited by TwoPiece

Some people think if it isn't in a yellow CGC slab, an autograph is worthless. They are, quite simply, wrong. They also like to pretend there is only one company in the grading business. 

The value is relative. If  your book was worth $750 unsigned, I'd add at least $250 for the two signatures. 

15 hours ago, shadroch said:

Some people think if it isn't in a yellow CGC slab, an autograph is worthless. They are, quite simply, wrong. They also like to pretend there is only one company in the grading business. 

The value is relative. If  your book was worth $750 unsigned, I'd add at least $250 for the two signatures. 

It's a matter of opinion. No one's subjective opinion of un-witnessed signatures is "wrong", as you so incorrectly put it.

Why would a buyer spend $250 extra for a signature that wasn't seen administered when, usually, you can find a product that was and be able to sleep easier? Exactly.