• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do sellers feel about selling at HA?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, suspense39 said:

“The problem with selling in a private sale is that you're limited by your own imagination, even where you're selling at what you think is a very aggressive price that you're happy with.  Which means that you're missing the possibility that someone out there is willing to pay a whole lot more”

true, but it could also be a lot less

Some people aren't willing to take the gamble, others are. 

I certainly haven't had a 100% success rate, but the wins have more than made up for the losses so it will continue to be the primary way I sell.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I certainly haven't had a 100% success rate, but the wins have more than made up for the losses so it will continue to be the primary way I sell.

My experience has been

1.  HA for really expensive desirable stuff, sadly I don't have much of this stuff.

2.  CLINK auction - very little experience but seems real hit or miss depending on the item

3.  CLINK listing - hit or miss, very desirable stuff does move at a decent price plus you get to list the price you want.

4.  eBay - I have been doing this a lot more and had great success so far doing fixed price with best offer.

5. Boards - if it is something hot and you are listing for less than GPA, then you may move it.  I see a lot more people buying to re-sale versus buying to keep.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Yes, it is a gamble and I came out on the short end of the stick. I know others who’ve done well like yourself. I was even approached by heritage to consign a couple times, being told how well my items would do and they didn’t.....actually going for way less than offers I turned down. Anyway, last time I sold there I lost some thousands, since then I’ve been mostly selling or trading on my own just taking the safer bet to the home run.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Is the disconnect simply that a lot of items are actually sold without much gain or even a loss - but we pay so much attention to items like 'master race' and vintage spidey covers that we miss what's going on at other things?

I don't think that is it, as what amazes me the most at heritage is there ability to get $1k for $200 estimated FMV dollar pieces, $2k for $500 estimated FMV dollar pieces and $5k for $1k estimated FMV pieces.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Does this disconnect exist as much at clink which is less celebrated than HA?

If I had to guess at values of hammer prices compared to my perceived FMV at the two sites I think it would look something like this.

HA                                        CLINK

15%       Way Above FMV    5%

25%       Above FMV            15%

50%       FMV                       45%

8%           Below FMV            25%

2%          Way Below FMV     10%

HA I feel has more upside, and clink far more downside, but for all lots that sell for FMV the juice at heritage stings.

8 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

I don't think that is it, as what amazes me the most at heritage is there ability to get $1k for $200 estimated FMV dollar pieces, $2k for $500 estimated FMV dollar pieces and $5k for $1k estimated FMV pieces.

If I had to guess at values of hammer prices compared to my perceived FMV at the two sites I think it would look something like this.

HA                                        CLINK

15%       Way Above FMV    5%

25%       Above FMV            15%

50%       FMV                       45%

8%           Below FMV            25%

2%          Way Below FMV     10%

HA I feel has more upside, and clink far more downside, but for all lots that sell for FMV the juice at heritage stings.

Are you basing the above on your own experience or are those pure guesses? And when you say fmv - is that after all feels or before.  Because the way to look at fmv from seller perspective is after fees.

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Are you basing the above on your own experience or are those pure guesses? And when you say fmv - is that after all feels or before.  Because the way to look at fmv from seller perspective is after fees.

Estimated based on experience.

I’m fairly certain most people look at fmv and net proceeds from a sale separately.

I know I do. 

It is all a mental calculation after that measuring risk/reward and urgency of receiving funds in the various formats of selling art.

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

Estimated based on experience.

I’m fairly certain most people look at fmv and net proceeds from a sale separately.

I know I do. 

It is all a mental calculation after that measuring risk/reward and urgency of receiving funds in the various formats of selling art.

ok. so the point of this thread was to look at it from seller pov.  if you are looking at final hammer with juice etc.. as fmv -  that puts even more pressure on the seller.

give you an example. i just won a piece at HA.   now as it happens to be a modern piece of art - I know what the artist was selling it for. lets call it 100%. I paid 90% of this price at auction, but the seller who consigned it to auction got 75% (assuming they didnt pay seller fees -only buyers premium).   In this instance, the consignor lost 25%,but I only saved 10%. this disparity is why its important to look at the amount the seller gets.

56 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

ok. so the point of this thread was to look at it from seller pov.  if you are looking at final hammer with juice etc.. as fmv -  that puts even more pressure on the seller.

give you an example. i just won a piece at HA.   now as it happens to be a modern piece of art - I know what the artist was selling it for. lets call it 100%. I paid 90% of this price at auction, but the seller who consigned it to auction got 75% (assuming they didnt pay seller fees -only buyers premium).   In this instance, the consignor lost 25%,but I only saved 10%. this disparity is why its important to look at the amount the seller gets.

Interesting that any buyer cares about how much the consignor nets in a sale.  I actually have a long story from the buyer's point of view I will share to follow when I have time to edit this post, and is another example to look at. 

...I had left a bid on a lot of Al Capp originals, and some background ephemera, at a local auction which I was unable to attend since I was working that Saturday morning.  (CONT'D))

So, I had left a bid of $800, on my lunch break, with the auctioneer, and I won at $500.  Since I was not at the auction, I will never know if that was a bid he pulled out of the air, but I didn't (and still don't) care.

As I was picking up my lot after the end of the auction, I scraped up a worn piece of paper from the floor which described most of the contents of the lot which the consignor had previously attempted to sell through Jerry Weist @ Sotheby's?, anyway it had her contact info.  (CONT"D)

I actually contacted this woman to see if she had additional material I might be interested in, and she gave me some wonderful back story about the lot (another whole story), and, by the way, indicated she was having trouble getting paid by the auctioneer.

So, I contacted the auctioneer, and told him that I was aware of the $500 hammer, and hoped there was no further delay in the woman getting her share, which she finally did, and we even had a later deal (not comic related) based on our good faith that was by then established.

End of this story, and hopefully not too dragged out to be boring.  Best wishes, David

David

Edited by aokartman

4 hours ago, aokartman said:

Interesting that any buyer cares about how much the consignor nets in a sale.  I actually have a long story from the buyer's point of view I will share to follow when I have time to edit this post, and is another example to look at. 

...I had left a bid on a lot of Al Capp originals, and some background ephemera, at a local auction which I was unable to attend since I was working that Saturday morning.  (CONT'D))

So, I had left a bid of $800, on my lunch break, with the auctioneer, and I won at $500.  Since I was not at the auction, I will never know if that was a bid he pulled out of the air, but I didn't (and still don't) care.

As I was picking up my lot after the end of the auction, I scraped up a worn piece of paper from the floor which described most of the contents of the lot which the consignor had previously attempted to sell through Jerry Weist @ Sotheby's?, anyway it had her contact info.  (CONT"D)

I actually contacted this woman to see if she had additional material I might be interested in, and she gave me some wonderful back story about the lot (another whole story), and, by the way, indicated she was having trouble getting paid by the auctioneer.

So, I contacted the auctioneer, and told him that I was aware of the $500 hammer, and hoped there was no further delay in the woman getting her share, which she finally did, and we even had a later deal (not comic related) based on our good faith that was by then established.

End of this story, and hopefully not too dragged out to be boring.  Best wishes, David

David

This entire thread is about selling.not about buying.  That's why we care. Ha ha.

in my case, delelerlekrekekrekseste or whatever his name is, called it. i sold the wolverine page on HA last month. very pleased to say the least. and i was able to negotiate a very low fee ahead of time, thanks to a tip from a friend who regularly consigns with them. of course, i won't be paid until next month, but in this case, i do not mind waiting at all. delekekrkekreste, please get a handle that i can spell!