• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Crossover Results are in!
7 7

129 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

sample size

Agree but hopefully more people chime in and we can see

17 minutes ago, namisgr said:

So much for the myth that Voldemort books should command less in the marketplace because they are graded more loosely than if by CGC.

Possibly but it also goes to buy the book not the label.. which I admit a pay a lot more attention when buying the other guys stuff

26 minutes ago, speedcake said:

sample size

Yes, for answering the question of how large numbers of books would fare on average when graded by both companies.  But the point here is that there are five comics in a Voldemort slab that by any other measure should command prices commensurate with their numerical grades and not the company that graded them.

Edited by namisgr

24 minutes ago, speedcake said:

it's going to take a heck of a lot to make voldemort slabs command more than they currently do.  

Sounds like they're a bargain for buyers, especially considering that many would receive comparable or, in some cases, even higher grades from CGC.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I have stuff signed long ago - that I got that I would love to have slabbed.. and so far have resisted and a few green labels... but I would like another option

Not bad. If you happened to own Crow #1 signed with no witness. It's a lucky day for you.

22 hours ago, namisgr said:

Sounds like they're a bargain for buyers, especially considering that many would receive comparable or, in some cases, even higher grades from CGC.

But would they without this specific crossover incentive going on right now.  if CGC starts mass down grading the books from other companies, the crossover promotion really isn't going to work for its intended purpose.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:35 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Seeing some other peoples results in a Facebrook group I belong to... looks like I got very lucky. anyone else have any come back yet?

Just saw my grades posted online.  Sent in some low grade Golden Age CBCS books for crossover grading.

Banner Comics #3 CBCS 2.0 = CGC 2.0

Banner Comics #4 CBCS 3.5 = CGC 3.5

Green Hornet #24 CBCS 4.0 = CGC 3.5 (pregraders thought this would stay at 4.0)

Veri Best Sure Fire #1 CBCS 3.5 = CGC 3.5

Thrilling Comics #38 CBCS 4.0 = CGC 3.5

So no big surprises.  Two more submissions are coming later.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, Foolkiller said:
On 11/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, namisgr said:

But would they without this specific crossover incentive going on right now.  if CGC starts mass down grading the books from other companies, the crossover promotion really isn't going to work for its intended purpose.

So, from your point of view, what do YOU believe is CGC's REAL intended purpose with this crossover program? hm

Edited by lou_fine

I hate this service all this does it put CGC turn around times even more behind.

We all know the other two companies are worthless. I just want some of the comic community to keep their books elsewhere so I can get my books get graded faster.

What I get graded makes sense, what most people get graded doesn't. ;) 

Think I am wrong just check ebay? lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/29/2018 at 5:06 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

The best part for me was the 2 silver age books I sent at the standard tier and before they were de-slabbed CGC emailed me with there thoughts on what the outcome would be so I could make a decision then.

What did they say in the email? I called them with this question and they said the only reason they'd contact you is if there's a possibility of a downgrade/detection of restoration or if pressing would help. Otherwise they wouldn't bother contacting.

BTW, did the page quality change in any of your crossovers? Thanks for reporting your results!

Lets see more sample size.  So far it appears CGCS and CGC are basically the same in terms of grades given.  Some equal, some a grade lower, some a grade higher.  Love the CGC prices and slab so I've stayed clear of CBCS but its nice to get a good indication of how close they are.

Edited by 1Cool

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Lets see more sample size.  So far it appears CGCS and CGC are basically the same in terms of grades given.  Some equal, some a grade lower, some a grade higher.  Love the CGC prices and slab so I've stayed clear of CBCS but its nice to get a good indication of how close they are.

My experience with crossovers is generally lower.  Very difficult to get 1 to 1 crossover.  If you are getting the same grade consider yourself lucky.

Just now, blazingbob said:

My experience with crossovers is generally lower.  Very difficult to get 1 to 1 crossover.  If you are getting the same grade consider yourself lucky.

That was what I'd expect to see also but the few people who have posted results in this thread seem to not confirm this as much as I expected.  I don't have anything to submit to help gather data but I'd love to hear the results people are getting.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

What did they say in the email? I called them with this question and they said the only reason they'd contact you is if there's a possibility of a downgrade/detection of restoration or if pressing would help. Otherwise they wouldn't bother contacting.

BTW, did the page quality change in any of your crossovers? Thanks for reporting your results!

Just what they thought it would grade at from visually inspecting in the case and if I wanted to proceed. If it is standard or above tier it has free screening which you should get an email either way. On the modern stuff I sent there was no email.

On the paper quality - Honestly I would have to double check because I did not note it before sending in. 

On 12/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, walclark said:

Just saw my grades posted online.  Sent in some low grade Golden Age CBCS books for crossover grading.

Banner Comics #3 CBCS 2.0 = CGC 2.0

Banner Comics #4 CBCS 3.5 = CGC 3.5

Green Hornet #24 CBCS 4.0 = CGC 3.5 (pregraders thought this would stay at 4.0)

Veri Best Sure Fire #1 CBCS 3.5 = CGC 3.5

Thrilling Comics #38 CBCS 4.0 = CGC 3.5

So no big surprises.  Two more submissions are coming later.

Regarding page quality, three were the same and two went from off white-white to off white.  Really not much change.