• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Crossover Results are in!
7 7

129 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, BriD. said:

They don't send the old labels back. I read somewhere that they mail them back to the other grading companies. Not sure if that's true.

It wouldn't make sense to mail them back. It would cost them money and I don't think the other companies have a census so they'd be of no use. I'd assume old labels are thrown away

Submission shipped out of CGC today

Amazing Spider-Man #145 cbcs 9.8 white = CGC 9.8 white (was sweating this one)

Amazing Spider-Man #207 cbcs 9.8 off white/white = CGC 9.8 white

Both were pressed per screeners recommendation.

By my count it's 60 total cbcs crossovers posted by members with 49 coming back same or higher. But then again it's just my personal count and I could be off a bit :bigsmile:

Edited by MGsimba77

24 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Submission shipped out of CGC today

Amazing Spider-Man #145 cbcs 9.8 white = CGC 9.8 white (was sweating this one)

Amazing Spider-Man #207 cbcs 9.8 white = CGC 9.8 white

Both were pressed per screeners recommendation.

By my count it's 60 total cbcs crossovers posted by members with 49 coming back same or higher. But then again it's just my personal count and I could be off a bit :bigsmile:

Hey glad the pressures off! And Congrats!

It's good of cgc to recommend pressing if needed, even if the results mean that people's books are coming back equal to or higher than the competition. :)

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hey glad the pressures off! And Congrats!

It's good of cgc to recommend pressing if needed, even if the results mean that people's books are coming back equal to or higher than the competition. :)

I actually called asking if I could have these two pressed without a pre-screen before being sent for grading & still keep the crossover discount. They said no I could only get the crossover discount with pressing by having them recommend it first.

I had a feeling they needed pressing due to a few tiny dirt marks on the back covers which are white. The 145 had a tiny stress on the spine barely broke color that had me sweating a bit

On 3/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ron C. said:

My one and only Crossover (Flash #123) results just came in:

CBCS 4.0 OW-W

CGC 4.0 OW

Well worth it. I would have done more if I had any other non-CGC, non-Signature series slabs.

After and before images. I'm really happy with the results and with the outstanding communication from the CGC staff! (thumbsu

Flash 123 CGC.jpg

Flash 123.jpg

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I've been keeping passive tabs on this thread. Did anyone else think the crossovers would yield more interesting results? Everyone's been reporting as-expected within tolerance grades. Unless I missed it, there hasn't been a single bogie...?

I think the pre-screening has skewed the results you are seeing to some degree. 

In my situation I sent in 4 silver age CBCS books to consider for cross-over.  The graders looked at them and with three of the four they felt would see drops of between 2-4 grades and on one they felt would grade the same.

I had them return to me the 3 books that they felt would drop without having them crossed over and the one book I did cross over received a bump from 4.0 to 4.5.

So to really get a feel for how the grading's compare I think you need to see the screened grading ranges on the books that ultimately weren't crossed over. 

My particular situation played out like this...

Amazing Spider-Man 41 CBCS 7.0 estimated grade from screening 6.0 (not crossed over)

Sub-Mariner 19 CBCS 9.6 estimated grade from screening 9.0 - 9.2 (not crossed over)

Fantastic Four 36 CBCS 7.5 estimated grade from screening 6.0 - 6.5 (not crossed over)

Detective Comics 359 4.0 estimated grade from screening 4.0 and ultimately graded 4.5 by CGC

1 hour ago, pjray55 said:

I think the pre-screening has skewed the results you are seeing to some degree. 

In my situation I sent in 4 silver age CBCS books to consider for cross-over.  The graders looked at them and with three of the four they felt would see drops of between 2-4 grades and on one they felt would grade the same.

I had them return to me the 3 books that they felt would drop without having them crossed over and the one book I did cross over received a bump from 4.0 to 4.5.

So to really get a feel for how the grading's compare I think you need to see the screened grading ranges on the books that ultimately weren't crossed over. 

My particular situation played out like this...

Amazing Spider-Man 41 CBCS 7.0 estimated grade from screening 6.0 (not crossed over)

Sub-Mariner 19 CBCS 9.6 estimated grade from screening 9.0 - 9.2 (not crossed over)

Fantastic Four 36 CBCS 7.5 estimated grade from screening 6.0 - 6.5 (not crossed over)

Detective Comics 359 4.0 estimated grade from screening 4.0 and ultimately graded 4.5 by CGC

Oh wow, sorry to hear about your prescreen results but this is great information. Just the kind of stuff I was expecting to see, but haven’t been...

Edited by Callaway29
typo

On 3/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It wouldn't make sense to mail them back. It would cost them money and I don't think the other companies have a census so they'd be of no use. I'd assume old labels are thrown away

I called them few days ago. They immediately threw them away after plying the cases opened.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's an astonishing looking 4.0. What's wrong with it?

Could be the case but it looks like there is some water spot staining on the right side of the cover

My results so far:

• Amazing Spider-Man 300 cbcs 9.6 ----> cgc 9.6  (prescreen advised pressing would not likely make a difference, so opted not to press)
  • Amazing Spider-Man 300 cbcs 9.2 ----> cgc 9.4  (prescreen advised pressing would not likely make a difference, so opted not to press)
  • Incredible Hulk 271 cbcs 9.6 ----> cgc 9.6  (prescreen advised pressing, so I pressed)
  • Strangers in Paradise 1 cbcs 9.4 ----> cgc 9.6  (pressed)