• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Crossover Results are in!
7 7

129 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Read from the email that I just tagged you in, that is cgc's stance on it, that's all I know... it says it's an ongoing service.... it's in the other thread I tagged you

PERFECT.  Thanks, AGAIN!

I guess I didn't understand that if the grade goes down (as of submissions postmarked YESTERDAY), the submitter will only pay $10 for the cross-over book.  It makes sense for CGC to continue the service without the additional benefits that have now expired.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

The Cross-over submission option is still on the online submission list.  It also still says there is a 50% discount.

I don't do MyFace, but maybe I can go over there and view the video.

Screen capture of submission form option (as of now):

CGC Screencap.jpg

Yesterday (1/31/19) was the last day for 50% off for CrossOver submisson. CGC will accept any submissions with postmarked on 1/31/19 at 50% off. My five books were sent.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, JollyComics said:

Yesterday (1/31/19) was the last day for 50% off for CrossOver submisson. CGC will accept any submissions with postmarked on 1/31/19 at 50% off. My five books were sent.

That is not accurate (as to my new understanding).  The books subbed prior to 2/1/19 will only cost $10 each (if the grade drops).  That, and the free screening for books in Standard, Express and Walk-thru, will not be available any longer.

The 40-50% discount on grading fees will remain.

22 hours ago, Yorick said:

That is not accurate (as to my new understanding).  The books subbed prior to 2/1/19 will only cost $10 each (if the grade drops).  That, and the free screening for books in Standard, Express and Walk-thru, will not be available any longer.

The 40-50% discount on grading fees will remain.

I may be confused by their promotional being expired. I re-read their article: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6924/

Thanks for clarification. See what happens within a year unless they change. I still like their current price.

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I may be confused by their promotional being expired. I re-read their article: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6924/

Thanks for clarification. See what happens within a year unless they change. I still like their current price.

The price reduction is the only way they'd continue to receive cross-over submissions (in my opinion).  You will notice the article says nothing about the "free screening" or "$10 per book" (when the grade drops) that we will be privy to for sending our books in before Feb. 1st.

Go read the email from CGC that @ADAMANTIUM posted via the thread link (end of page 3 in this thread).  The "Promotion" was not clear to me either until I read the email.

Alright, here it goes.  I sent in my copy of Captain America Comics 18 CBCS graded 4.0 restored to CGC for the crossover service.  The CBCS label states : Staples replaced, TOP LEFT CORNER OF BACK COVER TRIMMED, many small pieces of archival tape on interior cover & 2 on centerfold.  

I received my book back from CGC today and here it is.  There are two major differences between the CBCS grading and the CGC grading......

1B4AB504-1BE1-483D-ABAA-B172A8860D71.thumb.jpeg.c3b705997288e22b6448cdfa5e4105c8.jpeg67A9C213-49BC-4657-AD4D-EDE130772BC5.thumb.jpeg.cc399de2736424433fdc29099667e009.jpeg

I have pics of the book in the CBCS holder if anyone wants to confirm what I’ve said.  

Basically, CBCS said the book had trimming, which apparently wasn’t the case and missed that the book has tear seals.  

51 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Alright, here it goes.  I sent in my copy of Captain America Comics 18 CBCS graded 4.0 restored to CGC for the crossover service.  The CBCS label states : Staples replaced, TOP LEFT CORNER OF BACK COVER TRIMMED, many small pieces of archival tape on interior cover & 2 on centerfold.  

I received my book back from CGC today and here it is.  There are two major differences between the CBCS grading and the CGC grading......

1B4AB504-1BE1-483D-ABAA-B172A8860D71.thumb.jpeg.c3b705997288e22b6448cdfa5e4105c8.jpeg67A9C213-49BC-4657-AD4D-EDE130772BC5.thumb.jpeg.cc399de2736424433fdc29099667e009.jpeg

I have pics of the book in the CBCS holder if anyone wants to confirm what I’ve said.  

Basically, CBCS said the book had trimming, which apparently wasn’t the case and missed that the book has tear seals.  

Not too shabby = :takeit:

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Nice! Seems like a positive result since I think conserved label > restored label. What are tear seals? Is that like a glue or something?

This included brings my count to 42 cbcs crossovers with 35 returned same or higher

11 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Nice! Seems like a positive result since I think conserved label > restored label. What are tear seals? Is that like a glue or something?

This included brings my count to 42 cbcs crossovers with 35 returned same or higher

A tear seal occurs when some sort of adhesive is placed on a tear, essentially bringing torn pieces back together.  I think.

Definitely a positive result considering CBCS said the book was partially trimmed and CGC thought otherwise.  They missed the seals also which is concerning.

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Correction!  CBCS did not miss the tear seals.  They just use different terminology versus CGC.  

I was wondering if archival tape and tear seals were the same thing. Also, while not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, how can we be 100% sure CGC didn't miss the trimming?

Edited by BriD.
added comment

I had a handful I sent in just a bit before they made the announcement...

E-Man #10 (First) PGX 9.9 -> CGC 9.8

E-Man #8 (Charlton) CBCS 9.8 -> CGC 9.8

Daredevil Annual #4 (1976) CBCS 9.8 (Penn Dutch) -> CGC 9.6

Pretty disappointed about the DD... no Grader's Notes... may try for a resub at some point... other than that, nice to have the books in the correct holders... wish I'd waited a couple of weeks to submit though!

Just got two back

Incredible Hulk 181 CBCS 7.5 - CGC 7.0

Fantastic Four 48 CBCS 7.0 - CGC 6.5 Restored Slight B-1
Graders notes say (Color Touch(Average Qualiy or Materials small area) Right Top Front Cover B-1
and then below it it says (small, multiple writing indent Right Top of Front Cover.
Could this just be writing marks and not Color Touch? 

16 minutes ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

Just got two back

Incredible Hulk 181 CBCS 7.5 - CGC 7.0

Fantastic Four 48 CBCS 7.0 - CGC 6.5 Restored Slight B-1
Graders notes say (Color Touch(Average Qualiy or Materials small area) Right Top Front Cover B-1
and then below it it says (small, multiple writing indent Right Top of Front Cover.
Could this just be writing marks and not Color Touch? 

I assume it matters what kind of writing utensil was used, so probably not just writing marks...

either way ominous 666th post :eek: 

image.thumb.png.4e73a5b1295458467243884c5cc66404.png

20 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I have a PGX book at CGC with a similar issue.  PGX believed the top of the book was trimmed (because of a horrid scissor-like cut - not straight at all) which I believe may have left the factory as it is.  It would be GREAT to go from a restored holder to unviersal holder.

4 hours ago, BriD. said:

I was wondering if archival tape and tear seals were the same thing. Also, while not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, how can we be 100% sure CGC didn't miss the trimming?

Very true.  I’m going to ask my buddy that submitted the books for the graders notes.  I don’t know if it will give us any information, but maybe.

7 hours ago, Schmakt said:

Pretty disappointed about the DD... no Grader's Notes... may try for a resub at some point... other than that, nice to have the books in the correct holders... wish I'd waited a couple of weeks to submit though!

I don't know if you have it on hand yet but usually you can spot a defect on a 9.6 if you look at it closely enough with a magnifier and/or a flashlight. Often even with a 9.8

I have plenty of high grades & I've spotted small defects on most. I think I have a decent idea of what separates a 9.6 from a 9.8 at this point

DD annual 4 is a darkish cover so you should be able to spot whatever it has