• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Im wondering if Ditkos collection (well what he left in piles around his office for 60 years) is gonna start leaking onto Heritage and thats what we will be seeing....OR if folks know its coming and are just posting stuff for sale now to get in ahead of the wave coming from far away.

This is just wild speculation on my part, but, I suspect it's the latter.  Get out before the other stuff hits the market and also before the Ditko heir(s) potentially tries to emulate the Kirby estate in wanting a piece of the action.  

9 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

This is just wild speculation on my part, but, I suspect it's the latter.  Get out before the other stuff hits the market and also before the Ditko heir(s) potentially tries to emulate the Kirby estate in wanting a piece of the action.  

Good points and considering where the market is currently - I can see some people wanting to cash out on his art now. 

9 hours ago, mxs7 said:

Not from the art returned to Ditko. I used to know the guy who owned this story, and that was back in the early/mid 1980s.

Mike

Thanks!  That's good to know.  

I remember when the Tony Christopher collection when on sale and people were trying to sell their Kirby art in a panic before prices dropped.  Of course apart from a minor dip, Kirby prices rose to new heights shortly afterwards.  I don't think Ditko's collection (when and if it does appear) will hurt the market long term, if at all.  

Regards,
Ted

42 minutes ago, tlatner said:

I remember when the Tony Christopher collection when on sale and people were trying to sell their Kirby art in a panic before prices dropped.  Of course apart from a minor dip, Kirby prices rose to new heights shortly afterwards.  I don't think Ditko's collection (when and if it does appear) will hurt the market long term, if at all.  

Regards,
Ted

I personally think you are spot on.  A lot of demand for Ditko art.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, delekkerste said:
On 1/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, tth2 said:

Watchmen #1 cover is in the auction.  Boy, that didn't stay in a collection for very long.

Six years, actually - time flies!  

You're right, time does fly. 

But still, not exactly a black hole collection.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

You're right, time does fly. 

But still, not exactly a black hole collection.

Not a black hole collection, though, I don't know how many of the top collectors are truly black holes, as pretty much all of them will let things go periodically for various reasons, and most of them have CAF galleries and/or are active in one or more comic/OA-related FB groups as well.  

14 hours ago, tlatner said:

Regards,
Ted

agreed. demand will remain high and should absorb a temporary increase in supply imo

I can't wait for the auction to start. I kind of get withdrawals this time of year when the major auction go on hiatus during the holidays. I made consignments to Heritage for the first time so it will be extra fun.

I have my eye on one piece, but will probably get destroyed on it as usual during event auctions. 

my observation for this auction - is that it seems to have less pieces in it than previous HA auctions. perhaps its because they are still adding stuff. I think the last auction had over 700 pieces (correct me if I am wrong). This one not as much.  Overall there is a bunch of cool stuff and like many here am eagerly watching what happens with that Watchmen cover. While I think its one of the most boring covers ever - it's also perhaps one of the most recognizable and iconic covers of all time.  if it goes to a dealer/millionaire/halpern I wouldn't be shocked.  while there is a ton of nostalgia riding on this cover - I would compare it a bit to abstract art -as there is not much there to actually sink your teeth into (says the ignorant guy who loves representational art).:foryou:

Now that the scans are up, checking out the ST 117 is entertaining.  I've always loved how Ditko could use DS to explore his weirdness, while Spidey was where the characters and Grand Schemes came out.  It's hard to make rules for magic and he and Stan seem to have fudged a lot of that (I never complained) but it makes for a harder kind of universe to contain.  There's a lot of dramatic reptition.  You can only defeat a certain spell with a certain object (or the other way around) that must be traveled to in a certain way, and along the way there's an infinitely powerful whatever whose wrath and ambition is something something infinity.  Strange has no personality when compared to Spidey, and there's not much soap opera, especially before Clea's introduction. 

That said, he did come up with some cool Caniff-riff adventures and the Eternity finale is visually stunning and kinda mind blowing.  Maybe the biggest contribution to art is the design aspects of what other dimensions look like and how magicians fighting on the cosmic plane might navigate using their powers.  And a lot of that is in here.  I find the panels crampt and sort of repetitive, but that doesn't change how much I like them.  That last page, with all the different ways Mordo is screwed, is a masterglass in textures. 

I have zero idea of what these will go for.  On one hand, HA has auctioned off I think ONE (1) DS page by Ditko, and as we know, DItko drew far fewer of these than ASM pages, and he seems to have retained most of them.  So maybe these go for billions.  BUT there are a few books (according to the inventory list) that fled the warehouse -- it's just that we don't see pages to them very often.  If these go for billions, more will show up.  I bet HA has inquired of the estate what their plans are, so we'll know soon whether there's going to be a mini-explosion of these available, or if Ditko burned them all or something. 

Edited by glendgold

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

my observation for this auction - is that it seems to have less pieces in it than previous HA auctions. perhaps its because they are still adding stuff. I think the last auction had over 700 pieces (correct me if I am wrong). This one not as much.  Overall there is a bunch of cool stuff and like many here am eagerly watching what happens with that Watchmen cover. While I think its one of the most boring covers ever - it's also perhaps one of the most recognizable and iconic covers of all time.  if it goes to a dealer/millionaire/halpern I wouldn't be shocked.  while there is a ton of nostalgia riding on this cover - I would compare it a bit to abstract art -as there is not much there to actually sink your teeth into (says the ignorant guy who loves representational art).:foryou:

I think last year we saw at least 2 major collectors unload their art (Robert Ethan and The berk collection) If you take away those collections the pickings were slim last year. I think the market absorbed the material pretty well but without someone dumping a collection - the good stuff will only come up in smaller chunks.

2 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I think last year we saw at least 2 major collectors unload their art (Robert Ethan and The berk collection) If you take away those collections the pickings were slim last year. I think the market absorbed the material pretty well but without someone dumping a collection - the good stuff will only come up in smaller chunks.

Ethan Roberts. Not Robert Ethan.
R.I.P. Ethan.

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

R.I.P. Ethan.

that's the problem with having 2 first names.:flamed: personally - I always get confused with Eric Roberts and Ethan Roberts. Admittedly - never knew either man, but both have/had great collections.

Edited by Panelfan1

14 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

that's the problem with having 2 first names.:flamed: personally - I always get confused with Eric Roberts and Ethan Roberts. Admittedly - never knew either man, but both have/had great collections.

Oh I thought that it was Eric Roberts that passed away.  His CAF collection is brilliant. 

But I couldn't find Ethan on CAF, sounds like an impressive collection too. 

17 hours ago, artdealer said:

R.I.P. Ethan.

My apologies! I did get it backwards... but the point being is his collection was massive and heritage was auctioning his stuff over like 3-4 auctions. So much material. Without that it would have been pretty dry last year.

Edited by RICKYBOBBY