• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

... but the point being is his collection was massive and heritage was auctioning his stuff over like 3-4 auctions. So much material. Without that it would have been pretty dry last year.

The other side of this coin is with the Ethan collection 'in hand' there was no other need for HA to beat the bushes (or accept) significant consignments of overlap material either. Unless the need to liquidate was truly great (life or death medical, losing the house, etc), who wouldn't care whether their hoard went in 2018 or 2019 (or sprinkled out to CLink and other venues)? I'm not talking about a handful of pieces, I'm talking about hoards (like Ethan's) with certain concentrations. Those can usually wait a year or three until the time is right and/or occasionally drop some crumbs at the margin to keep cashflow up.

Wake me up after the year when Heritage has zero substantial lots in any Signature comic art sale. That would be the year they may consider scrapping the use of the word Signature (lol) itself, never mind Platinum Night (which is evidently every night now). That's a supply bottleneck I'll only believe when I see it.

23 hours ago, vodou said:

The other side of this coin is with the Ethan collection 'in hand' there was no other need for HA to beat the bushes (or accept) significant consignments of overlap material either. Unless the need to liquidate was truly great (life or death medical, losing the house, etc), who wouldn't care whether their hoard went in 2018 or 2019 (or sprinkled out to CLink and other venues)? I'm not talking about a handful of pieces, I'm talking about hoards (like Ethan's) with certain concentrations. Those can usually wait a year or three until the time is right and/or occasionally drop some crumbs at the margin to keep cashflow up.

Wake me up after the year when Heritage has zero substantial lots in any Signature comic art sale. That would be the year they may consider scrapping the use of the word Signature (lol) itself, never mind Platinum Night (which is evidently every night now). That's a supply bottleneck I'll only believe when I see it.

Yeah I wouldn’t have gone as far as saying that there would eventually be zero substantial lots.. but when you got from 1100 OA items to about 600. I think that is substantial. Heritage has been setting records in terms of dollars in auctions last year - I don’t see the trend continuing with this auction.

Oh and hey - just saw an Avengers 1’page posted yesterday! That’s exciting ...😊

29 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Yeah I wouldn’t have gone as far as saying that there would eventually be zero substantial lots.. 😊

That day will come, in a highly inflationary environment. Or the reverse, highly deflationary, where there's no point in selling when things are going for 1/10th fmv of just a few years previous. which would be well under the cost basis for most pieces. Either extreme of demand can create a supply drought. Never say never...

On 1/17/2019 at 7:33 PM, batman_fan said:

So the Amazing Spiderman Annual 7 cover is posted, where do people think this will land?

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.31.41 PM.png

I think Burkey has established that only art from the mainstream title has value, with the pages from annuals being worth about 5 percent of their contemporaries, so stop bidding at 5-6K

5 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I think Burkey has established that only art from the mainstream title has value, with the pages from annuals being worth about 5 percent of their contemporaries, so stop bidding at 5-6K

I was thinking somewhere between $100k and $1000k but closer to the $100k than $1000k

On 1/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Panelfan1 said:

that's the problem with having 2 first name

Having two first names is the first qualification for being a superhero. Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Alan Scott, Bruce Wayne, Diana Prince...the list goes on and on!

Anyone have thoughts on what one of the complete origin stories of the Phantom Stranger by Garcia-Lopez will go for from Secret Origins 10? It has one good image of the main character and everything else is Biblical images. Very nicely done, but still just Biblical images. 

I do not expect to bid on it. I don't want a whole book.

Top 5 so far

Bid/Bid with BP

Frazetta Famous Funnies #209 cover - $130k/$156k

Gibbons WAtchman #1 cover - $110k/$132k

Ditko ST 117 splash - $75k/$90k

Bolland KJ page - $26k/$31.2k

Romita Sr. ASM Annual #7 cover - $16k/$19.2k

Adams Mutants/X-Men related poster - $16k/$19.2k

Edited by Ironmandrd

10 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I knew the Ditko Dr. Strange pages would be in demand, but I had no idea that the splash would be a 6-figure piece.  And just a few days after online bidding started.

It'll go 200+ I wager.

THere's a couple panel pages in complete HA items at 35 and 65 and some nice ones have traded higher privately I understand.   And this is panels so a splash is bound to do well

Edited by Bronty

19 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Top 5 so far

Bid/Bid with BP

Frazetta Famous Funnies #209 cover - $130k/$156k

Gibbons WAtchman #1 cover - $110k/$132k

Ditko ST 117 splash - $75k/$90k

Bolland KJ page - $26k/$31.2k

Romita Sr. ASM Annual #7 cover - $16k/$19.2k

Adams Mutants/X-Men related poster - $16k/$19.2k

Yes, but what about "Magic The Gathering" unverified, rumored private card art sales, which is where the real money is.

Edited by PhilipB2k17