• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

It’s Super Bowl Sunday so I’m focused on some interesting “head-to-head” match-ups in the auction.  We already highlighted the pair of Ms. Marvel covers in the auction but there are also: 2 early BWS Conan title splashes, 2 Herriman Krazy Kay Sundays, 2 Kane Tomb of Dracula covers, 2 Wally Wood Daredevil pages, 2 twice-up Colan Daredevil splashes, 2 Eisner Spirit pages, 2 Hildebrant paintings, 2 Buster Brown Sundays, 2 Gene Day Master of Kung-fu covers, 2 Al Williamson Sci-fi pages (Star Wars ROTJ + Flash Gordon), 2 SSOC painted covers (Mayerik + Norem), 2 Gonzalez Vampirella splashes, etc.

Let the games begin! :popcorn:

9 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

It’s Super Bowl Sunday so I’m focused on some interesting “head-to-head” match-ups in the auction.  We already highlighted the pair of Ms. Marvel covers in the auction but there are also: 2 early BWS Conan title splashes, 2 Herriman Krazy Kay Sundays, 2 Kane Tomb of Dracula covers, 2 Wally Wood Daredevil pages, 2 twice-up Colan Daredevil splashes, 2 Eisner Spirit pages, 2 Hildebrant paintings, 2 Buster Brown Sundays, 2 Gene Day Master of Kung-fu covers, 2 Al Williamson Sci-fi pages (Star Wars ROTJ + Flash Gordon), 2 SSOC painted covers (Mayerik + Norem), 2 Gonzalez Vampirella splashes, etc.

Let the games begin! :popcorn:

A few quick notes.

1.  The Daredevil 34 splash should be ignored by any potential bidders  :devil:

2.  There are 4 Peanuts Dailies and I still have wall space hm

I would tell you to put that money aside and get a Sunday.   Based on my complete lack of experience with strips, I think that someone like you who enjoys peanuts and enjoys the larger size of these originals will really really really enjoy a Sunday.    The price paid will be painful but once paid forgotten whereas the Sunday will bring you a lot of joy in perpetuity.

All pulled straight out of my azz, thanks for asking.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I would tell you to put that money aside and get a Sunday.   Based on my complete lack of experience with strips, I think that someone like you who enjoys peanuts and enjoys the larger size of these originals will really really really enjoy a Sunday.    The price paid will be painful but once paid forgotten whereas the Sunday will bring you a lot of joy in perpetuity.

All pulled straight out of my azz, thanks for asking.

I think you are correct.  It has been a while since a Sunday has appeared that fits two key criteria

1.  I have to love the piece :luhv:

2.  I have to be able to afford the piece  :cry:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I think you are correct.  It has been a while since a Sunday has appeared that fits two key criteria

1.  I have to love the piece :luhv:

2.  I have to be able to afford the piece  :cry:

I pull some great things out of my azz sometimes.   

Umm..

Given the breadth and depth of this auction, has it really been six days since someone posted a message about this auction?  Wow! 

I wanted to chime in about a previous comment on the two Bagley pieces in this auction, well, on the ASM splash in particular.  In recent years, folks have taken liberties in what they label as a 'splash'.  We've seen panel pages listed as a splash where the largest panel only comprises 60% of the entire page, and that's just plain wrong.

However, the ASM 397 splash is truly a splash page, featuring a very cool image of Spidey and his long-time nemesis, Doc Ock in a single panel on the page...a 100% splash page...and its a Title Splash with all the credits, no less!  Great art, great content, key characters, true splash page.  Has to be one of the best splashes from Bagley's long run on ASM.  Wish I owned it, but I'm strapped for cash at the moment.  Here's the linky:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/mark-bagley-and-larry-mahlstedt-amazing-spider-man-397-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1995-/a/7204-93010.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The Romita Sr. ASM Annual #7 cover is interesting.  I've followed some of the comments previous posters have made about it on this thread, and in all honesty, I have absolutely no clue as to the final hammer price because prices on Annuals seem to be trickier to predict.  I mean, some folks don't consider them to be part of the main title run and didn't purchase the comics back when they were published and it *seems* as though this mentality has carried forward to OA collecting.

Back in 2012, the ASM Annual 3 by Romita Sr sold for $105K which sounds like a hefty sum,  but I always wondered what it would have sold for if it was published as an issue of the mainstream ASM numbering.  Likewise, the Romita Sr ASM Annual #6 cover which sold for $143K in 2016.  Anyhow, here's the link to the ASM Annual #7 cover:  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-amazing-spider-man-annual-7-cover-original-art-marvel-1970-/a/7204-91042.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Last but not least is the Watchmen #1 cover, which sold previously for $155K in 2013, and looks like it may have had a cleaning sometime between then and now because it appears much whiter in the current HA auction.  Bidding is at $156K so it has surprised the previous $155K close.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/dave-gibbons-watchmen-1-cover-original-art-dc-1986-/a/7204-91022.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515

11 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Romita Sr. ASM Annual #7 cover is interesting.  I've followed some of the comments previous posters have made about it on this thread, and in all honesty, I have absolutely no clue as to the final hammer price because prices on Annuals seem to be trickier to predict.  I mean, some folks don't consider them to be part of the main title run and didn't purchase the comics back when they were published and it *seems* as though this mentality has carried forward to OA collecting.

Back in 2012, the ASM Annual 3 by Romita Sr sold for $105K which sounds like a hefty sum,  but I always wondered what it would have sold for if it was published as an issue of the mainstream ASM numbering.  Likewise, the Romita Sr ASM Annual #6 cover which sold for $143K in 2016.  Anyhow, here's the link to the ASM Annual #7 cover:  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-amazing-spider-man-annual-7-cover-original-art-marvel-1970-/a/7204-91042.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You know the market is getting frothy when people are disappointed a cover sold for "only" $143k.

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Spoke with the Watchmen #1 consignor, and he assures me that the cover hasn’t been cleaned since he purchased it in 2013.

Which should serve as a warning to all... you really have to be careful of lightening on the HA scans.

One of the best OA lots in my opinion is "student witch" painting by Carl Barks its still  under 10K, I remember seeing on Geppi's Carl Barks video report of the display of the paintings at this gallery..Carl was standing in front of the painting saying how much he liked the painting. about 5 or 7 years ago I asked Geppi's people how much they wanted...nothing under 50K they would even consider....somebody is going to get a masterpiece here....

1 hour ago, rsonenthal said:

Reserves posted....

You're not kidding....

Some of those folks WERE NOT shy with their reserves.....