• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

I presume we are talking about a strawberry shortcake page?  ahem.

Its pretty well all academic until the reserve is met, or until the auction's over.   

Bets?   Make reserve?    Pass?

I could see either but I don't see a lot of bidding happening in the live auction.

The question is whether the reserve will be tripped at all, not whether there'll be any post-reserve action.  That's been the pattern for the more expensive Frazetta paintings that've been sold on Heritage.  High reserve, one bid tripping it and no further action.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:08 PM, drdroom said:

How come nobody is talking about Archy and Mehitabal? Are they in the wrong auction?(shrug)

Oh its the right auction.   Its just very niche.   I'm sure it will go for a good price anyway, but its never going to be the subject of reams of chatter

Prices have started to ratchet up a little on the OA but many pieces are still way below where they will hammer at or else this is going to be a very expensive auction for me lol

I really like the Jack Davis EC story, especially the splash but won't be a bidder.

The Spiderman Annual 7 cover is still way below my estimate of $100k to $1M.

At the current max bids on the Peanuts pieces, looks like I am going to be filling up my walls if they don't go up more :insane:

On 2/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, drdroom said:

How come nobody is talking about Archy and Mehitabal? Are they in the wrong auction?(shrug)

When these popped up, I was thrilled because I'm very glad they still exist.  And that's pretty much where it stops for me.  Don't need to own them, but glad they exist. 

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Don't need to own them, but glad they exist. 

That's the first line on the resume of every ACN*

"Auction Consignor's Nightmare™"

5 hours ago, glendgold said:

When these popped up, I was thrilled because I'm very glad they still exist.  And that's pretty much where it stops for me.  Don't need to own them, but glad they exist. 

It seems like most of Herriman OA has been preserved, no?  KK had a sterling rep amongst the intelligencia in it's own day, perhaps above all other comics, so I'd guess he's always been valued. 

59 minutes ago, drdroom said:

It seems like most of Herriman OA has been preserved, no?  KK had a sterling rep amongst the intelligencia in it's own day, perhaps above all other comics, so I'd guess he's always been valued. 

Sorta. Maybe you know this already, but for those who don't -- the Don Marquis stuff was thought to have disappeared.  In 1950 something, Edward Gorey was leaving work at Doubleday and saw a dumpster in front of the office and on top of the pile was Herriman's art for the Archy & Mehitabal books.  He impulsively grabbed the first three pieces he saw, walked off, realized he should get the rest, then came back and it was gone.  Trash truck had taken the rest.  He told this story starting in the '50s, hoping to find more art, and he never did.  So the assumption was that it was gone.  Apparently not. 

Not sure how the Garcia-Lopez 10 page Origin Story from Secret Origins is already up to $3,610 with the Buyer's Premium, or slightly over $3,000 without it. Based on the individual pages, only the first page is good. Pretty much at the top of the market already.

Although JLGL has made his mark drawing superheroes, he prefers not to.  He loves drawing the other genres where he's also excelled.  For example, sci-fi (Twilight)  and westerns (Jonah Hex).  So although you may not be into the story, I think JLGL would've loved the opportunity.  The story looks great.  And JLGL inks himself, the rendering has a different look than you'd usually see. 

There aren't many complete JLGL stories out there.  I think there would be a premium on that, not a discount.  The final price will probably surprise you even more.  I doubt the bidders are really big Phantom Stranger fans, they're JLGL fans.