• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

That’s awesome. Really fortunate it never got pitched. 

Makes you wonder what else is "on the wall" in various homes, in closets, trunks, etc. 

Also makes you shudder at how many pieces were tacked to a cork board, taped to a door, colored with crayons, and ultimately got pitched by all those evil mothers who threw out Jimmy's comic books

Just now, JadeGiant said:

Makes you wonder what else is "on the wall" in various homes, in closets, trunks, etc. 

Also makes you shudder at how many pieces were tacked to a cork board, taped to a door, colored with crayons, and ultimately got pitched by all those evil mothers who threw out Jimmy's comic books

I have a Kirby Demon splash that was trimmed to fit in a frame. Very sad but glad to have it. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I have a Kirby Demon splash that was trimmed to fit in a frame. Very sad but glad to have it. 

I just went to check it out but it seems your gallery has gone underground ... agreed, glad it survived even if trimmed

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Conan 7 splash bombs at only $13.5K hammer.  That market is colder than ice these days. :( 

This was the data point I was looking at. Consignor of tomorrow's splash may be in for it. I always thought BWS splash pages were at least 20k. This full head page went unsold at CL last year and was then listed for 30k or thereabouts as a sale item. 

Edited by cstojano

1 hour ago, cheekyj2112 said:

You sure about that Glen? A mate mentioned he had won one of them.

Cheers
Joseph

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=9492

I guess I'm not 100% sure, but I kept hearing the same paddle number called after each lot, and whoever paid that much for the last page had, I thought, a big incentive.  Could well have been wrong and maybe 7 out of 8 went to one place  Oops.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:
2 hours ago, cheekyj2112 said:

You sure about that Glen? A mate mentioned he had won one of them.

Cheers
Joseph

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=9492

I guess I'm not 100% sure, but I kept hearing the same paddle number called after each lot, and whoever paid that much for the last page had, I thought, a big incentive.  Could well have been wrong and maybe 7 out of 8 went to one place  Oops.

Most likely it was page 5 of the Ditko Strange Tales 117 art that went to a different buyer than the rest of of the ST117 pages (INCREDIBLE prices BTW!)

On the Heritage site, the page 5 art does not have a "Make Offer to Owner" on it, which is usually an option selected by the buyer (the other ST117 pages do have a "Make Offer" on them)

image.thumb.png.8f5942da676221532c62b59c171caa93.png

18 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Most likely it was page 5 of the Ditko Strange Tales 117 art that went to a different buyer than the rest of of the ST117 pages (INCREDIBLE prices BTW!)

On the Heritage site, the page 5 art does not have a "Make Offer to Owner" on it, which is usually an option selected by the buyer (the other ST117 pages do have a "Make Offer" on them)

image.thumb.png.8f5942da676221532c62b59c171caa93.png

I have seen Heritage add "Make Offer to Owner" on things I won, and I never asked for it.

15 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have seen Heritage add "Make Offer to Owner" on things I won, and I never asked for it.

Interesting.

I always thought the "Make an Offer" was generated off of the following option in Heritage:

image.png.b088a59f7b5ef161feed9b170380ec1b.png

23 minutes ago, vodou said:
43 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

This is one of those things that requires an explicit opt-out action on your part. It is their platform after all.

You are correct Vodou. THANKS!

Sign in and go to "Update My Profile" and then "Email & Text Preferences" and select here:

image.png.111680639dbb8b99cce41887c886e122.png

7 hours ago, DJRome said:

That said, I can't help but notice that a lot of the 70s stuff under preformed compared to expectations (DD #157, Ms. M #4, AV #105, FF #154). Are the collectors in their mid 50s tapping out now?

It's not across the board, but, yes, there's a disproportionate amount of '70s material that has been underperforming of late (remember how badly that Gulacy MOKF cover bombed in the last auction), which was discussed at length in my recent Felix Comic Art podcast.  It's not happening overnight, but, yeah, the mid-50 something crowd is slowly aging out.  Anyone in this hobby who knows a lot of people in that cohort can see how obvious it is.    

That said, there's some stuff from the '70s that transcends the generation that grew up with it and will remain loved and highly coveted for the foreseeable future.  On the other hand, there's a lot of other stuff from that era that I am sure will never be loved more by subsequent generations, just as I am metaphysically certain that there is a ton of '80s stuff that will never, ever, ever, ever be loved as much as or more by subsequent generations to ours.  And, as such, the same thing will happen for our cohort over the coming decade, and you will see the pre-McFarlane/Jim Lee '80s era stuff underperform (at least relatively) as a result.