• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It's not across the board, but, yes, there's a disproportionate amount of '70s material that has been underperforming of late (remember how badly that Gulacy MOKF cover bombed in the last auction), which was discussed at length in my recent Felix Comic Art podcast.  It's not happening overnight, but, yeah, the mid-50 something crowd is slowly aging out.  Anyone in this hobby who knows a lot of people in that cohort can see how obvious it is.    

That said, there's some stuff from the '70s that transcends the generation that grew up with it and will remain loved and highly coveted for the foreseeable future.  On the other hand, there's a lot of other stuff from that era that I am sure will never be loved more by subsequent generations, just as I am metaphysically certain that there is a ton of '80s stuff that will never, ever, ever, ever be loved as much as or more by subsequent generations to ours.  And, as such, the same thing will happen for our cohort over the coming decade, and you will see the pre-McFarlane/Jim Lee '80s era stuff underperform (at least relatively) as a result. 

Every cover from the 70s performed pretty well i thought. And this auction overall WAY over performed......If things went so soft today...... congrats on whoever got these awesome deals!

Edited by romitaman

On 2/20/2019 at 4:31 AM, Will_K said:

Although JLGL has made his mark drawing superheroes, he prefers not to.  He loves drawing the other genres where he's also excelled.  For example, sci-fi (Twilight)  and westerns (Jonah Hex).  So although you may not be into the story, I think JLGL would've loved the opportunity.  The story looks great.  And JLGL inks himself, the rendering has a different look than you'd usually see. 

There aren't many complete JLGL stories out there.  I think there would be a premium on that, not a discount.  The final price will probably surprise you even more.  I doubt the bidders are really big Phantom Stranger fans, they're JLGL fans. 

Yup!

3 hours ago, Scott Dunbier said:

Yup!

To be clear, I very much like his work, but when buying a whole book, the value is generally lower on a per page basis than selling the piece as a single unit. And that's not just in this hobby end. That's also true with illustrated manuscripts and the like.

8 hours ago, romitaman said:

Every cover from the 70s performed pretty well i thought. And this auction overall WAY over performed......If things went so soft today...... congrats on whoever got these awesome deals!

This was the Platinum session, where, ostensibly, the most desirable pieces landed, and yet there were still some soft spots in the '70s line-up as Dan and I pointed out (at least relative to expectations).  Let's see how the rest of it fares today and tomorrow.  I'm not saying that it's likely to be ugly, but, it seems pretty clear to me that Silver Age and Copper Age hero art are in the ascendancy vs. their Bronze Age counterparts (some areas excepted, of course) and that non-mainstream '70s art has been/is patchy at best for a while now. 2c 

5 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Any thoughts on the Tank Girl story at $41K? Is there a lack of supply there?

Yeah; I asked Scott Eder at either NYCC or SDCC last year about availability and he didn't have anything he was willing to part with.  Definitely hard to come by.  

The (fake, IMO) rumor that Hewlett is Banksy has probably also sparked some speculation surrounding the art. 

2 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

Williamson/Stevens/Garzon Return of the Jedi panel page up to $15,600 with auction later today ...

Wow. That’s heavy already. I wonder if there will be much action live. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:08 PM, glendgold said:

Sorta. Maybe you know this already, but for those who don't -- the Don Marquis stuff was thought to have disappeared.  In 1950 something, Edward Gorey was leaving work at Doubleday and saw a dumpster in front of the office and on top of the pile was Herriman's art for the Archy & Mehitabal books.  He impulsively grabbed the first three pieces he saw, walked off, realized he should get the rest, then came back and it was gone.  Trash truck had taken the rest.  He told this story starting in the '50s, hoping to find more art, and he never did.  So the assumption was that it was gone.  Apparently not. 

I didn't know that story- so someone else came along and snatched the rest of it! Maybe it was Daphne Du Maurier.

Neat article on the Amazing Spider-Man Annual #7 cover.

"Spider-Man cover, matted and framed, adorn the wall of my childhood bedroom from 1981 until my parents sold the house in 2015,” 40-year-old Andrew Aronstein

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2019/02/19/after-24-years-on-boys-bedroom-wall-spider-man-original-cover-art-now-at-auction-for-75k/?fbclid=IwAR0Sx4rfEqbDsC4In4Ho0mumJxohAnUKQ7XaiMH3viF6DalWqf_GriRmJOw#5e48fad2444d

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Wow. That’s heavy already. I wonder if there will be much action live. 

And for an Ewoks page, makes the much better Dagobah page they stuck in a Sunday seem like a bargain.

Edited by cstojano

Dang, these John Buscema prices seem soft to me.  Can't believe that fresh-to-market Conan/Belit cover didn't hit $10K hammer - I would have gone nuts for that one 5 years ago when I was in the market for one. Conan Treasury edition cover hammers at $12K - lower end of FMV IMO.  Jungle Action #1 cover hammers at $8K.  A good Avengers 79 page hammers at $4K. 

11 minutes ago, cstojano said:

And for an Ewoks page, make the much better Dagobah page they stuck in a Sunday seem like a bargain.

Agree but that Dagobah page with Luke and Yoda sold 2011 was from the main Star Wars title by Al Williamson.   Is there a premium (or discount) for ROTJ pages? 

5 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Agree but that Dagobah page with Luke and Yoda sold 2011 was from the main Star Wars title by Al Williamson.   Is there a premium (or discount) for ROTJ pages? 

Not 2011, just sold on HA last year (maybe we are talking about different pages).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/al-williamson-marvel-super-special-27-return-of-the-jedi-story-page-30-yoda-and-luke-skywalker-original-art-ma/a/121801-11130.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Not sure what you mean about the premium or discount for ROTJ. Compared with ESB there would be a discount, I think. But I have not seen an ESB page offered publicly. In terms of main title vs movie adaptations, well I couldn't care less about the main Marvel title and think the movie tie-ins bring other collectors, and this is exactly how I found this group several years ago (chasing Buscema Conan and ROTLA pages, still chasing).

Depending on where today's lands I could see this topping 20k today. What a great page.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/al-williamson-and-carlos-garzon-return-of-the-jedi-darth-vader-and-luke-skywalker-page-48-original-art-marvel-19/a/7013-94235.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by cstojano

45 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Dang, these John Buscema prices seem soft to me.  Can't believe that fresh-to-market Conan/Belit cover didn't hit $10K hammer - I would have gone nuts for that one 5 years ago when I was in the market for one. Conan Treasury edition cover hammers at $12K - lower end of FMV IMO.  Jungle Action #1 cover hammers at $8K.  A good Avengers 79 page hammers at $4K. 

Agree--especially on the Conan #97. 

5 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Credit to auctioneer who kept emphasizing the page was "astounding" (reading from lot description) :bigsmile: