• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

But, seriously, a published, Avengers-related cover from the 1980s...there's only so low that it can go even if it's not very good. Plus, it's at a price point low enough where people may just say, screw it, I'll pay the extra $500-1000 over what it should be worth just to win it. 

This + money inertia is moving into 80s second and third tier titles. No different than it did fifteen years ago for lousy 70s titles. Marvel Premiere, MTIO, Team-Up, etc etc etc. I'm still scratching my head at how any of that stuff is more than $2k per each but...in another five to ten years, this price will (to some) look like a friggin' steal.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

One fugly cover though

Not imo :) (but that doesn't bump "value" to more than $1k, nothing ever would).

10 minutes ago, malvin said:

That price seems reasonable to me. As Gene noted, it's an avengers cover, even though it's a secondary title. Plus for those who read that series (like me), that was a key moment 

Malvin 

Yessir!

8 hours ago, Twanj said:

Why is moonknight wearing a cowboy hat :nyah:

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I admire your spirit but when it comes to that cover.....

https://youtu.be/axUuI9p54hk

What it just sold for? Of course.

I like it for aesthetic appeal and nostalgia, for about $350. That is actual value (not "price"). I haven't been a buyer for this sort of stuff for fifteen+ years!

But ya know...let the chasers chase :)

What do you guys and gals think about the lone Lee Weeks piece?

Lee Weeks and Al Williamson Daredevil #300 Story Page 25 Original Art

Did final bid price have more to do with the climactic scene in a notable Daredevil story arc? Or is Lee Weeks first run Daredevil art turning a corner?

Edited by spidey300

7 hours ago, spidey300 said:

Did final bid price have more to do with the climactic scene in a notable Daredevil story arc? Or is Lee Weeks first run Daredevil art turning a corner?

I was very tempted on this one.  Weeks' Daredevil run had some nice art, but #300 was the climax and a great story.  This is a great page that sums up the book, and has DD and Kingpin.  If this were from a different issue, I doubt it would have the same result.  

8 hours ago, spidey300 said:

It's a really good page.  Memorable mid-'80s through mid-'90s OA is hot hot hot now for obvious demographic reasons.  DD vs. Kingpin subject matter is likely very much in demand as well on the back of 3 seasons of Daredevil on Netflix.  And, with Miller and Mazzucchelli prices where they are, together, I suppose it's not surprising that examples like this one are getting a lot more love than they would have 4-5 years ago. 

Al Williamson inks certainly don't hurt, either!

Edited by delekkerste

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It's a really good page.  Memorable mid-'80s through mid-'90s OA is hot hot hot now for obvious demographic reasons.  DD vs. Kingpin subject matter is likely very much in demand as well on the back of 3 seasons of Daredevil on Netflix.  And, with Miller and Mazzucchelli prices where they are, together, I suppose it's not surprising that examples like this one are getting a lot more love than they would have 4-5 years ago. 

Al Williamson inks certainly don't hurt, either!

I also think Weeks art is being seriously reconsidered now.  Always solid and with a real fan base, the work he's been doing at DC on the Bat titles has been so well received and has spurred something of a renaissance in his career.  I think that, and the reasons discussed above will lead to higher prices.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah; I asked Scott Eder at either NYCC or SDCC last year about availability and he didn't have anything he was willing to part with.  Definitely hard to come by.  

The (fake, IMO) rumor that Hewlett is Banksy has probably also sparked some speculation surrounding the art. 

That is interesting. Never heard that rumor before. If something like this was ever confirmed I wonder how the marketplace would react.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/forensics-expert-suggests-bristols-banksy-1444082

5 hours ago, buyatari said:

That is interesting. Never heard that rumor before. If something like this was ever confirmed I wonder how the marketplace would react.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/forensics-expert-suggests-bristols-banksy-1444082

Yeh, new to me.

We always heard it was 3D or someone related.