• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I though this Giordano Black Canary cover on Sunday was pretty at $2K, but $6600 is pretty shocking-

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/-giordano-black-canary-1-cover-original-art-dc-1991-/a/121908-15076.s

I put in the first bid thinking it was nice and had a chance of going cheap. Ha.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, Bill C said:

Decent Cinfa Flash page from #132 (1963 IIRC) sold at HA about 9 months ago for roughly 3.8K. Owner put in back on HA, sells just now for roughly 2.8K. Ouch. 

i was a happy buyer.

a good friend sold this same FLASH page for 4000 cash in san diego a few years ago. I was pleasantly shocked it sold so low.

Edited by romitaman

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

Disagree with just about all your statements on John Buscema.....but chat boards are for opinions so its all good!  :)

John's 70s Avengers and even his 80s 2nd run avengers art have all been selling for record prices for the past few years. (minus the early blah stuff from avengers 41-44)

John's Thor 70s art all has been selling for record prices over the past 2 years

John's Conan art inked by Alcala, Sal, DeZuniga, and himself all sell for record prices based on content. ( i just put 4 pieces of his 1982 movie art pages on my website and they all sold in less than 12 hours for 1200-1700 each

Johns FF art from his first run has probably TRIPLED in prices over the past year or so.

I follow EVERY AUCTION for price discovery and trends if i'm not buying.

Your comments about JB auction results is a bit Disingenuous since so much of his art is in every auction nowadays it seems... There are always good with some so so pieces in auctions these days....

and when couple decent pieces sell for 90% of retail its now a "SOFT" market?? LOL

i get guys from time to time telling me John Romita is a hack.... and i just laugh.....  as its their opinion..... and fine and well there also.

At the end of the day......John Buscmea is one of the best illustrators to ever put pencil to paper in comics history!

his doodles on the backs of art pages are masterpieces that very few out there could hope to draw...and he was just bored and passing the time when he drew this amazing stuff!!!

John Buscema could probably  draw with his LEFT HAND and still draw better than 90% of the artists who draw comics!

Yes yes yes!

avengers74p11.jpg

10 hours ago, O. said:

I was wondering what was gonna happen there.

How much would that Layton IM cover usually go for? It was low for a while.

6 hours ago, romitaman said:

Disagree with just about all your statements on John Buscema.....but chat boards are for opinions so its all good!  :)

I think you may be reading too much into my comments, Mike. :foryou:  I didn't say that the JB market in general was soft - in fact, I highlighted just the opposite on my recent Felix Comic Art podcast, comparing the diverging fortunes of John Buscema vs. BWS.  I just said that the few JB pieces in *this* auction were a bit squishy - lower end of FMV or worse in some cases.  Nothing catastrophic, just not on fire like some other areas of this hot hot hot market are.  I alluded to the real heat in the OA market these days largely being outside of '70s material (SOME EXCEPTIONS APPLY OBVIOUSLY!!), which I think is pretty clear, but, if you have a differing viewpoint, I'd love to hear them.  

Can we at least agree that the Conan #97 cover selling for $11.4K wasn't a strong price? I know that it wasn't, because I would have bought that cover for $15K all day long 5 years ago and I'm sure any dealer wouldn't price it below that today (and very likely higher)!

As for JB's place in the pantheon of great comic artists...I didn't say make any comments and am intentionally staying out of this debate! lol  

Edited by delekkerste

14 hours ago, O. said:

I heard there's a pentagram on the ground below the characters, rendered in invisible ink. 

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think you may be reading too much into my comments, Mike. :foryou:  I didn't say that the JB market in general was soft - in fact, I highlighted just the opposite on my recent Felix Comic Art podcast, comparing the diverging fortunes of John Buscema vs. BWS.  I just said that the few JB pieces in *this* auction were a bit squishy - lower end of FMV or worse in some cases.  Nothing catastrophic, just not on fire like some other areas of this hot hot hot market are.  I alluded to the real heat in the OA market these days largely being outside of '70s material (SOME EXCEPTIONS APPLY OBVIOUSLY!!), which I think is pretty clear, but, if you have a differing viewpoint, I'd love to hear them.  

Can we at least agree that the Conan #97 cover selling for $11.4K wasn't a strong price? I know that it wasn't, because I would have bought that cover for $15K all day long 5 years ago and I'm sure any dealer wouldn't price it below that today (and very likely higher)!

As for JB's place in the pantheon of great comic artists...I didn't say make any comments and am intentionally staying out of this debate! lol  

At the end of the day, I personally feel the real problem with that Conan cover is the way Conan is depicted. I don't want him bound and on his back. I wanted him fighting mad with a sword in his hand. I think this hurt the sales price more than anything. I've recently sold Conan covers from this period at record prices. Just my take.

Glen

23 hours ago, glenbru said:

At the end of the day, I personally feel the real problem with that Conan cover is the way Conan is depicted. I don't want him bound and on his back. I wanted him fighting mad with a sword in his hand. I think this hurt the sales price more than anything

I understand that sometimes portraying the hero in a weakened position is not ideal, but, I think it's case by case - there are plenty of such covers that I think prove to be exceptions to the rule (just off the top of my head, ASM #69 and SSOC #5).  I'd add this one to that exceptions list, as, IMO, the Frazetta homage and strong Belit in fighting action image cancels out any downside from bondage Conan (who looks quite defiant anyway).  But, obviously one's mileage may vary, diff'rent strokes for different folks, etc. 2c 

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I understand that sometimes portraying the hero in a weakened position is not ideal, but, I think it's case by case - there are plenty of such covers that I think prove to be exceptions to the rule (just off the top of my head, ASM #69 and SSOC #5).  I'd add this one to that exceptions list, as, IMO, the Frazetta homage and strong Belit in fighting action image cancels out any downside from bondage Conan (who looks quite defiant anyway).  But, obviously one's mileage may vary, diff'rent strokes for different folks, etc. 2c 

UXM 251 is another great cover with weakened hero and yet would be highly coveted, I would presume.

23 hours ago, glenbru said:

I personally feel the real problem with that Conan cover is the way Conan is depicted. I don't want him bound and on his back. I wanted him fighting

Another local original art commentator identified the Master of Kung Fu #116 cover which 'sold' [cheaply?] in the same HA auction, as having the same problem...just replace 'Conan' with Mr. Chi...

Wasn't this issue, cover & interior pages, 'sold' privately last year?

20190227_072013.png