• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Nitpicking but if you are talking strictly super hero art as you say, there’s surely no reason to include Wood

DD, Thunder Agents, Dynamo, and a ton of inking and penciling jobs in the late 60s to mid 70s for marvel. Not saying he is a primarily Hero artist, of course not. But he has probably a few dozen hero books to his credit. Heck, on some level you can almost include his work on Sky masters with Kirby in this argument.

Just saying, he cant be thrown out totally of the super hero category.

13 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

Doesn't he get credit for Daredevil? 

Not in the context of the discussion, which is the next layer of superhero artists after Kirby and Ditko.   A few issues of Daredevil and Tower Comics is not nearly enough in quantity or frankly quality.   He’s on the Mount Rushmore of 50s artists but that’s not a superhero decade for the most part

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

DD, Thunder Agents, Dynamo, and a ton of inking and penciling jobs in the late 60s to mid 70s for marvel. Not saying he is a primarily Hero artist, of course not. But he has probably a few dozen hero books to his credit. Heck, on some level you can almost include his work on Sky masters with Kirby in this argument.

Just saying, he cant be thrown out totally of the super hero category.

Yes he can.    Sorry.  Great artist.   Not a great superhero artist.   

Great impact; low volume.   Debatable.   I lean towards ignoring the low volume and including him in that cut right after Kirby, because in that late 60s period he’s a real standout IMO

Edited by Bronty

I don't know that we all agree as I think we all have different criteria for "great" in this context.  Skill?  Volume?  Long-term impact?  From some of the names listed above, Marvel work (vs. DC?)?  Joe Kubert anyone?   Fun discussion!

8 minutes ago, rsonenthal said:

I don't know that we all agree as I think we all have different criteria for "great" in this context.  Skill?  Volume?  Long-term impact?  From some of the names listed above, Marvel work (vs. DC?)?  Joe Kubert anyone?   Fun discussion!

I was never a huge Kubert fan although if forced to pick I would take his earlier work over his later stuff. I found his later stuff to have a more rushed unfinished appearance in general. Full disclosure I did look in to attending his artist school when I was young.