• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Charm is not how I describe his Conan work, another C comes to mind

I'm guessing that John Buscema's version is your highwater mark on the character, and as such that would put BWS at the disadvantage (I do get that) but the conflict for me in that hierarchy is being faithful to REH's actual text from which it's all based...original pulp Conan was described to be much more like Barry's than John's.

1 hour ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Do sellers have the ability to withdraw art, if concerned that it won’t sell high? I hope not. 

Albert had it for 10k, earlier as I recall. Would it have gone that high? 

47634371-4807-4567-BCFD-1D2B5337C3ED.jpeg

It's really impressive and not small like some of the prelims I've seen. The art area is nearly 11x17 which I think is the entire size of the piece.

The three most striking character visuals from the Rocketeer included. 

Still very hard to handicap a value because 1) it's pencil and looks preliminary 2) it looks to be a very personal piece 3) obviously unpublished.

I would have been interesting to see it run its course. 

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

:whatthe:  What happened to you !?

John Buscema was, is, and will always be one of my favorite artist.

avengers_265_splash.jpg

avengers_292_splash.jpg

I love 'em too but the all those second run Avengers pages...90% Palmer and 10% Buscema, to be fair.

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

HA’s Saturday OA session has started 

Jeez, AI (Artificial Intelligence) has claimed the job of whatever auctioneer would have moderated the Saturday bidding session.  So weird to hear its soulless, robotic voice calling out the bids as they come in. 

Edited by delekkerste

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Jeez, AI (Artificial Intelligence) has claimed the job of whatever auctioneer would have moderated the Saturday bidding session.  So weird to hear its soulless, robotic voice calling out the bids as they come in. 

Does Robo-Voice speak in everybody's native tongue based on IP origination? (If yes, good luck Canadians!)

Expect this to migrate to the Signature side too. Only Platinum lots will be slowly let out and reeled back in by livewire. Nobody should ever forget Job #1 at HA is their bottom line, not the consignors, and certainly not getting maximum dollar out of any individual lot. Churn 'n Burn baby! Very bad for consignors. And also for soon to be un(der?)employed licensed auctioneers ;)

At some point...how much different will HA really be from eBay, aside from the catalog, marketing, and...fees?

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Does Robo-Voice speak in everybody's native tongue based on IP origination? (If yes, good luck Canadians!)

Expect this to migrate to the Signature side too. Only Platinum lots will be slowly let out and reeled back in by livewire. Nobody should ever forget Job #1 at HA is their bottom line, not the consignors, and certainly not getting maximum dollar out of any individual lot. Churn 'n Burn baby! Very bad for consignors. And also for soon to be un(der?)employed licensed auctioneers ;)

At some point...how much different will HA really be from eBay, aside from the catalog, marketing, and...fees?

What I like about HA is the live auctioneer in the signature auctions, and if that goes away, it's a big loss. David

11 hours ago, batman_fan said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

I've always thought Buscema was overrated and said so many times in this forum.  My comments to that effect were always guaranteed to elicit a response from Silver_Surfer.

I know you have posted it numerous times, but by law, I am legally required to respond.

lol (worship)

17 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

This sold in November on eBay. Sold for $5700 today! :whatthe:

2E66D9DA-AB24-4A20-B28B-3FC9C6AB7E23.png

It was in the wrong market for one and it was undersold at the time to boot. That was mine, I knew it had a LOT of way to go. You find pieces like that. Overall I was thrilled with my sales this auction.

Edited by zhamlau

On 2/22/2019 at 5:36 PM, batman_fan said:

Helped run up the price on a few Peanuts pieces but didn’t come home with anything myself.  I liked a couple but nothing I loved.

I was tempted by the Sprang Detective 153 recreation but it would have cost at least $5k but I think whoever won it did pretty good on it.

Good!    Keep saving for thatSunday! ;)

18 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Avengers tax. :insane:

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Avengers tax. :insane:

But, seriously, a published, Avengers-related cover from the 1980s...there's only so low that it can go even if it's not very good. Plus, it's at a price point low enough where people may just say, screw it, I'll pay the extra $500-1000 over what it should be worth just to win it. 

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

That price seems reasonable to me. As Gene noted, it's an avengers cover, even though it's a secondary title. Plus for those who read that series (like me), that was a key moment 

Malvin