• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MrBedrock's Thread of Bombast - chock full of Hyperbole, Exaggeration, and the greatest funnybooks ever offered on the boards!
6 6

199 posts in this topic

Real Life Comics #52 - very fine plus (8.5) white pages - $NA

Contains a killer Frazetta Lief Erickson story and a beautiful Schomburg western cover. Has one rusty staple keeping it from grading much higher.

reallife52.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Sparkie #2 - very fine minus (7.5) cr/ow - $NA

Is this the first time that a high grade copy of Sparkie, America's Favorite Radio Pixie, has ever been offered for sale? There are no reported sales on GPA. If graded this would definitely top the census as only one other copy has been submitted, a 7.0. So good that I have included a back cover scan...

sparkie2.jpg

sparkie2bc.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Strange Confessions #1 - fine plus (6.5) ow - $NA

Any comment on this cover could potentially tarnish the young lady's sterling reputation for innocence.

As this book sits it is a fine plus because of a bunch of light surface bends, all of which would easily press out. After a press I am confident it would receive at least a 7.5 from CGC as the only defects would be some stress lines at the bottom of the spine, a 1/8 tear on the edge of the back cover, and a small chip at the top right.

strangeconfessions01.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Strange Confessions #3 - very fine plus (8.5) ow/white - $NA

This book has been removed from the CGC slab and the label is included. I purchased this from the much respected expert on romance...Dr. Love. Andy says it was sold to him as the Mile High, and it certainly has all of the attributes. But it was not designated as such on the CGC label. I just mention it simply so the provenance is not lost.

strangeconfessions03.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Cowboy Love #1 - very fine (8.0) ow - $NA

The true life tale of a Houston area comic book store owner, The Tall Stranger tells the alliterative story of his Rip-Roaring Romance of The Plains!

cowboylove1.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Cowboy Love #5 - very fine (8.0) ow - $60

The further alliterative adventures of our comic shop protagonist includes the thrilling Wooing Women Through Windows...

cowboylove5.jpg

Vicky Comics nn 2/49 (#3) - fine very fine (7.0) white pages - $125

Ace Comics tried their hand at teen humor with Hap Hazard and five issues of Vicky. Beautifully drawn but not particularly popular at the time.

vicky3.jpg

Vicky Comics #4 - fine (6.0) ow - $90

Small wrinkle and a 1/2 inch tear at the bottom of the front cover.

vicky4.jpg

Comics Revue #2 - very fine minus (7.5) ow - $65 SOLD!

A very early (1947) St. Johns publication.

comicsrevue2.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

36 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Cowboy Love #5 - very fine (8.0) ow - $60

The further alliterative adventures of our comic shop protagonist includes the thrilling Wooing Women Through Windows...

cowboylove5.jpg

Was it a Dutch door?

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Untamed Love #3 - fine very fine (7.0) ow - $300

I am reminded of an incident when driving to a comic convention at night and the headlights would only work on high beam. The high beam headlights definitely shown the way. It was a good thing that the high beam headlights were working that night.

untamedlove2.jpg

I get the point of that cover...

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Strange Confessions #3 - very fine plus (8.5) ow/white - $450

This book has been removed from the CGC slab and the label is included. I purchased this from the much respected expert on romance...Dr. Love. Andy says it was sold to him as the Mile High, and it certainly has all of the attributes. But it was not designated as such on the CGC label. I just mention it simply so the provenance is not lost.

strangeconfessions03.jpg

Mile High as per Redbeard Ron Pussell, back in '96.

This issue has very violent story, Courage of Love, where Jed the farmer goes after his stepdaughter - water throwin, face slappin, pushing and shoving, ending with an actual whipping.  Like with a whip.

Ah, romance, the gentler genre.

Frankenstein Comics #6 - fine very fine (7.0) cr/ow - $NA

Briefer was a man way ahead of his time. Here he presents a scathing commentary on the pressing industry - forty years before Matt Nelson was born!

frankenstein6.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

22 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Real Life Comics #28 - fine very fine (7.0) ow - $125

I am a huge fan of the World War II Filipino Guerilla movement, and particularly the exploits of Colonel Ruperto Kangleon. I also love reading about Bougainville as I have some pretty bougainvillea growing beside the house. This book also contains captivating stories on the sinking of the Andrea Doria and Robert Blake, TV's Baretta. All wrapped up the greatest Alex Schomburg war cover ever!

reallife28.jpg

Take!